RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: 500 S&W swaging dies

Boolit Bub

500 S&W swaging dies

I just got my latest set of swaging dies from RCE. Dies a beautiful, product is beautiful. $295 for 5 different solid points, and 5 different hollow points. What a deal. Can also make half jackets and gas check bullets or just powder coat the lead ones. Here is a look at 6 of the 10 different styles of bullets this set makes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	500 S&W.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	12.4 KB 
ID:	325385

Boolit Master
    Looking good.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Is that a single die set? I don't know if you are familiar with using old cases for jackets, but you could probably cut down a .45 acp case short enough to stay below the step to use as a half jacket. I have done it with .40 S&W for .45 acp.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Buddy
    Here is a 400/gr and 500/gr 50/cal jacketed bullets, several types, made using a 45/ACP case for a jacket.
    Made using a hydraulic press and Corbin H-Dies.

Name:	P1000123.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	155.7 KB 
ID:	325394 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000124.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	165.3 KB 
ID:	325395

Boolit Bub
    Outer Rondacker, Thanks

Sasaquatch,
    Yes, it is a single die set, and you are absolutely correct. I have a BT Sniper 500 S&W jacketed bullet die (RCE made me a core seat die for it) that I use annealed 45 acp jackets in. I never tried it with 40 S&W. That is good to know. I am playing with the idea of using a dual diameter die with the jacketed core, stepping down outer dia by .009 on just the top part of the bullet, then using this lead bullet die to finish point forming the jacketed core down to the dual diameter step. I will let you know how that turns out. I have to order a .491 custom size die from Lee.

Kaydadog, Great looking bullets. I noticed you cannelured some bullets right where the lead and jacket meet. Was that placement for a specific purpose or does that just happen to be where you need to crimp the case when you load?
    Last edited by rolltide999; 04-03-2024 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rolltide999 View Post
    Sasaquatch,
    I never tried it with 40 S&W. That is good to know. I am playing with the idea of using a dual diameter die with the jacketed core, stepping down outer dia by .009 on just the top part of the bullet, then using this lead bullet die to finish point forming the jacketed core down to the dual diameter step. I will let you know how that turns out. I have to order a .491 custom size die from Lee.
    Just to clarify, that is using the .40 S&W FOR .45 ACP. I also use them for .430 projectiles.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by rolltide999 View Post
    I just got my latest set of swaging dies from RCE. Dies a beautiful, product is beautiful. $295 for 5 different solid points, and 5 different hollow points. What a deal. Can also make half jackets and gas check bullets or just powder coat the lead ones. Here is a look at 6 of the 10 different styles of bullets this set makes.

Name:	500 S&W.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	12.4 KB 
ID:	325385
    That's some really neat looking bullets. You can make 3/4 jacketed bullets too can't you?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Vaj View Post
    That's some really neat looking bullets. You can make 3/4 jacketed bullets too can't you?

Thanks. Yes, you can do 3/4 jacket with the single die set. I am experimenting making full jacketed dual diameter bullets with this die set. This requires a core seating punch which is not included with the single die set and requires using jackets made from fired brass. It also requires a custom sizing die for the dual diameter portion. When you buy a jacket making die from RCE for forming fired brass into a jacket, he usually includes a core seating punch with the jacket making set. This is very thoughtful and kind for him to do, and very useful for the customer. Most every other die maker charges extra for extra punches. This is another reason I like doing business with RCE.