Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Remington Sportsman 512

Boolit Master

Remington Sportsman 512

I inherited a Remington Sportsman 512 when my mom passed away about 12 years ago. I am finally getting to it to see what I can do with it. I last shot it more then 40 years ago when I was a teenager. Boy, the sights were easier to see then. I took it out to the range today and could keep it on the target at 30 yards with both the iron sights and the target blurry. I've put a Simmons 4-12x scope on it so that I can actually see what I am shooting at. It will be used for a range toy until it eventually gets passed on when I pass away. What distance should I sight it in for? 50 yards, 100 yards? I remember it being very accurate back in the day. Since I learned to shoot with this rifle, I want to eventually teach my grandkids to shoot it as well and to share memories of it with them.

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    My very first rifle was the clip- fed version of what you have, the model 511. Great guns. Wish I had kept mine.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Dad had a 511, his brother a 512.
    I learned to shoot with those two rifles so they are dear to my heart.
    50 years later, I have a 510 and it is dear as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Mine is sighted in at 50 yds and I use a scope also. The gun is very accurate at that distance with most ammo.

60 years of hunting experience with a 22lr rifle used on squirrels, rabbits, and other small game here in Illinois. I sight my rifles in at 25 yards. If the shot is farther away, I hold a little high. 95% of all my hunting shots come between 20 and 30 yards, so sighting at 25 works well for me.
    After sighting in, do a little testing to see what your drops are at longer distances and you are good to go. Holding on the top of a squirrels head for a 50 yard shot works every time.
    If your major usage is plinking or target shooting, sight in at whatever distance is usually used. Lots of rimfire competitions around here use either 50 yards or 100 yards. Some of the silhouette competitions use widely varying distances so you need to know what your hold over or under would be.

Boolit Master

Years ago I was told that if I sighted in a 22LR (standard velocity ammo) rifle at 50 feet it would be "on" at 50 yards.
    Seems to have held true in my experience.
    Gun control is not about guns.

Quote Originally Posted by wch View Post
    Years ago I was told that if I sighted in a 22LR (standard velocity ammo) rifle at 50 feet it would be "on" at 50 yards.
    Seems to have held true in my experience.
    This depends mostly on the height of the rings. The taller the rings, the more likely this is to be true.
    I have one rifle scoped with a large front lens requiring extra tall rings. This one is dead on at both 25 and 50 yards. Others scoped with smaller lenses and shorter rings, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    This depends mostly on the height of the rings. The taller the rings, the more likely this is to be true.
    I have one rifle scoped with a large front lens requiring extra tall rings. This one is dead on at both 25 and 50 yards. Others scoped with smaller lenses and shorter rings, not so much.
    also greatly depends on cartridge velocity, bullet weight, + etc. - trajectory varies a lot in the many types of .22's -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Master

I have a 510 with a similar scope. I sighted it in at 50 yards. We shoot one of Shooting Targets 7's KYL targets. It is a great rifle! The scope I use has target turrets so I have a table to shoot from 25 to 100 yards. I took it to the 300 yard range once but there wasn't enough adjustment in the scope.
    I really like mine but I may have to get rid on it. You see my son has a daughter and I seem to be powerless to not comply with her requests.
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Congratulations on your 512. I gifted mine to a son-in-law, but I kept the 512P. All of those 500 teen rifles are accurate.

Henry

Boolit Bub
    I have a 512. It is my favorite rimfire rifle. I sight it in at 50 yards and the accuracy is always great. It seems to shoot just about everything that I put through it.

One day I was testing loads at 100 yards in my 30-30 and decided to see what my 512 could do. It was a perfect spring day, about 70 degrees and sunny with no wind.

I aimed at the 100 yard target and gave it what I thought would be the right elevation based on scientific guesstimation. I was shocked at the results.

I could never do it again in a million years but yes, there are 5 shots in that group.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	512 target.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	325458
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	512.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	325459

Boolit Master
    Papaglenn
    Is that three shots touching plus two flyers?
    beltfed/arnie

The 512 is a fine 22 Rifle, just clean it up real well, in and out, and shoot it. CCI Mini Mag or Federal Classic, both 40 grain HV solids is what I use in mine, My 510 16" gun with a can, gets PMC target.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    My 512 is the sportmaster 512-×. The front sight is a blade front sight, reminds me of a front sight on a high power rifle. The rear sight was fully adjustable, but I removed when I installed a scope. I originally sighted in at 25 yds, which put the poi at -4" at 100 yds. Used to shoot tincans with the end facing me, when shooting them standing up got boring

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by beltfed View Post
    Papaglenn
    Is that three shots touching plus two flyers?
    beltfed/arnie
    Yes sir, three shots touching with two "flyers". The guy on the lane next to me couldn't believe it. He said "You better take a picture of that!" I said "Yeah, I'll never do that again!"

Great rifles make great times!

Quote Originally Posted by CastingFool View Post
    My 512 is the sportmaster 512-×. The front sight is a blade front sight, reminds me of a front sight on a high power rifle. The rear sight was fully adjustable, but I removed when I installed a scope. I originally sighted in at 25 yds, which put the poi at -4" at 100 yds. Used to shoot tincans with the end facing me, when shooting them standing up got boring
    hope that you saved the rear sight - hard to find + now selling for big money -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin