RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JES does it again with Handi

JES does it again with Handi

I got the barrel for my Handi-Rifle back from JES late last week. 2-1/2 week total turn-around. It was a .243, now back in .358 Winchester. Mounted the scope, grabbed a box of ammo I had loaded up for my other .358 (also a JES rebore), and off to the range I went.
    Bore sighted the scope and the first three rounds were a cloverleaf at 50 yards. Scope adjustment and fired two rounds to confirm, then to 100 yards to see what it will do.
    Results for next 15 rounds was a series of 1 1/2" - 1 3/4" groups. This was with a load for another rifle using a 200gr RCBS FNGC.
    I've got to form some brass for this rifle, and cast up another batch of boolits, as I'm running a little low. I'm thinking this rifle will be another winner.
    This is the third rifle JES has done for me, and I can't say enough good things about his work. He's great to talk to, does amazing work, and prices are more than fair. Just a no-lose proposition IMO.
    The other two rifles he did for me were a Stevens 200 also in .358, and a Ruger #1 in .35 Whelen.
    “The State that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools.”
    ― Thucydides

“The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.”
    ― Thucydides

I couldn’t agree more. JES created my 356 W Trapper out of a Marlin 30AS. His work is timely, reasonable and flawless.

Boolit Grand Master
    How about contact info for JES, please?
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

Boolit Buddy
    Yes I had him do a Garand barrel in 35 whelen and it shoots better than any other M1 Garand I own or have seen shot which is a few to say the least.

Was it a varmint or standard .243 barrel?
    Does it shoot better as a .358?
    JES did a .358 for me that did.(.243 Remington 700)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Was it a varmint or standard .243 barrel?
    Does it shoot better as a .358?
    JES did a .358 for me that did.(.243 Remington 700)

It was a standard .243 barrel.
    It most definitely shoots better as a .358. As a .243 I could never get consistent groups, and POI varied from day to day, sometimes group to group. Haven't had that kind of trouble with any of my other barrels, not to the extent I had with this one.
    Granted, I only tried one load so far, for another .358 I have. But three five shot groups with consistent group size and all impacting in the same place on the target seems to be a good start.
    Going to form some brass for this rifle and try some different loads that perform well in my other .358, and see what happens.
    The other .358 that JES did for me was originally a .22-250 Stevens 200. The first three shots out of it were a cloverleaf at 75 yards. I've only used the 200gr RCBS in it, but with powders including Red Dot, Blue Dot, Unique, 2400, IMR and H-4198, IMR and H-4895, it's been an awesome shooting rifle.
    He does great work, for a more than fair price, and he's a great guy to talk to.
    “The State that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools.”
    ― Thucydides

“The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.”
    ― Thucydides

Boolit Buddy
    I just got back my handi rifle barrel from JES. It started life as a 223 and was rebored to 38-55. Just getting started with it but it's showing real promise. Ii would highly recommend JES to anyone wanting this type of work done.
    Siamese4570

He's a good dude, just don't expect him to answer his phone - he's too busy to waste time doing that.

I always just sent him the gun with a check included, and was never disappointed.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master
    Yes I also agree about JES and his work
    I had a Super Grade in 06 I had redone by Jess to 35 Whelen, love it
    and I had another from 22 cal to 444 Marlin a Encore barrel
    just love it when a plan comes together
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Quote Originally Posted by siamese4570 View Post
    I just got back my handi rifle barrel from JES. It started life as a 223 and was rebored to 38-55. Just getting started with it but it's showing real promise. Ii would highly recommend JES to anyone wanting this type of work done.
    Siamese4570
    That's an awesome rebore. I've got another handi barrel in 270 that I'm thinking of having him do. Just not sure what caliber yet. I've also got a M94 in .30-30 that I'm considering either 38-55 or 35/30-30
    ― Thucydides

― Thucydides

Boolit Buddy
    Toolmaker TN, I thought about the 35/30-30 until I priced the dies (ouch). That's one of the reasons that I went the 38-55 route. Lee makes dies. Also more load data. I also had a 35 whelen handi so it would have been a little redundant. Still a cool caliber, especially with cast bullets.

Siamese4570

Boolit Man
    [QUOTE=Toolmaker TN;5709995]I got the barrel for my Handi-Rifle back from JES late last week. 2-1/2 week total turn-around. It was a .243, now back in .358 Winchester. Mounted the scope, grabbed a box of ammo I had loaded up for my other .358 (also a JES rebore), and off to the range I went.
    Bore sighted the scope and the first three rounds were a cloverleaf at 50 yards. Scope adjustment and fired two rounds to confirm, then to 100 yards to see what it will do.
    Results for next 15 rounds was a series of 1 1/2" - 1 3/4" groups. This was with a load for another rifle using a 200gr RCBS FNGC.
    I've got to form some brass for this rifle, and cast up another batch of boolits, as I'm running a little low. I'm thinking this rifle will be another winner.
    This is the third rifle JES has done for me, and I can't say enough good things about his work. He's great to talk to, does amazing work, and prices are more than fair. Just a no-lose proposition IMO.
    The other two rifles he did for me were a Stevens 200 also in .358, and a Ruger #1 in .35 Whelen.[/QUOTEGrafs has .358 Win in stock. FTW

Toolmaker TN, I thought about the 35/30-30 until I priced the dies (ouch). That's one of the reasons that I went the 38-55 route. Lee makes dies. Also more load data. I also had a 35 whelen handi so it would have been a little redundant. Still a cool caliber, especially with cast bullets.

Siamese4570
    I had a 35x30-30 for a while. the deal with dies is to use a 38-55 to size the body when needed and a 357 mag to size the neck. Can seat bullets with a 358 seater.
    Sorry for the thread hijack here...

Siamese4570
    I agree, the price of dies is what gives me pause with the 35/30-30. I have dies and brass for 38-55, so it would be the least expensive option.

How's the 35 Whelen in the handi? I considered turning my 270 handi barrel into a whelen, but was wondering if that might be a little two much of a good thing in a rifle that light.
    ― Thucydides

― Thucydides

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    I had a 35x30-30 for a while. the deal with dies is to use a 38-55 to size the body when needed and a 357 mag to size the neck. Can seat bullets with a 358 seater.
    Sorry for the thread hijack here...
    Nobade, good info as always. That's certainly one way around the die issue. I've got 38-55, 375 win, 357mag and 358 dies, so that would certainly be a solution.
    ― Thucydides

― Thucydides

I’ve wondered if the 35-30 could be loaded using .35 Remington dies- neck sized only- but still.
    I don’t have a 35-30 rifle or .35 Remington dies- so I’ll keep wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I’ve wondered if the 35-30 could be loaded using .35 Remington dies- neck sized only- but still.
    I don’t have a 35-30 rifle or .35 Remington dies- so I’ll keep wondering.

Possibly.
    I neck size my 358 win cases with a 35 rem lee collet die with a spacer between the shellholder and the die.
    ― Thucydides

― Thucydides

I went with the 356 Winchester. Scored a lifetime supply of brass which is the hardest part of feeding the 356.

Boolit Master
    Anyone know if JES is willing to do Stub Jobs? I have a 12ga stub I'm looking at having a barrel fitted to at the very least, but probably also chambered, and drilled for rings/picatinny rail. Would be nice to find someone that actually does that type of work being as I do not have a lathe.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast