MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: Used 32 mold

Boolit Master

Used 32 mold

I recently purchased from a member here an Arsenal 5 cavity 32 Keith SWC 98gr mold. The first cast was disappointing. As usual I had this mold in rotation with 2 others. After casting about half a pot of lead, I gathered up the shinny pile of boolits and took them inside to sort, size and lube them. What I found was over 50% of my labor had to go back into the pot. They were wrinkled and didn't meet my expectation. I decide to try again the next day and only cast with this mold. Success, this mold wants to be ran fast and hotter than I normally cast. This time around I had almost 100% good boolits. I have 32long, 32h&r and 327mag that will have a steady diet from this mold now. This is my first Arsenal mold and I think I will try a 25-20 mold next. I don't see much discussion on the forum about Arsenal molds but I for one am sold. I would say that this mold is equal to the quality of NOE molds. I have 3 different NOE rifle molds to compare this mold to. If you have not tried Arsenal molds they deserve a look. https://arsenalmolds.com

wcp

Boolit Master

have both NOE an Arsenal molds, along with a bunch of Lees. No doubt the first two are much better but not going to toss the Lees.

Always felt the Lees were really a "kit" that you had to work on to get good results
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

I have that same mold I bought new to cast for a friend and his 32s. Usually I find myself just running one mold with others on a hotplate if I'm doing more than one.

That mold cast like a dream right out the gate for me after the first few initial pours. I got into that zone where I kept saying "one more pour and I'll quit." And then kept casting until the pot was almost empty..

Boolit Master
    I have that same mold, and cast the same way you do- 2 molds at a time. Mine wants to run hot. I also found that smoking the mold the first time I used it helped. When it started to stick bullets it was a little too hot so I just set it on the cement floor in my garage.
    Loren

I know each mold have its own way to cast and once you find out how it will work for you, then you good to go .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    Similar problem with a MP Mold I recently bought, the 359-158-SWC. It's an 8cavity aluminum mold. And that thing definitely wants to run hot. You have to cut the sprue at almost a molten state to keep up the tempo. But it does cast some nice boolits!
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Grand Master

If you can adjust , modify and get Lee moulds to cast good boolits ...
    You can get Any Mould to cast Good Boolits ... they are a heck of a learning curve !
    Being Cajun I don't like to spend money ... a Lee mould was $25 and an NOE was ...
    A lot more ... but I kept hearing you guys talk about them and thought I'll get one and test it and go back to Lee ... That didn't work out ... NOE's are habit forming addictive and works of art ...and they do Like It Hot also !
    Thanks Guy's Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 04-05-2024 at 07:47 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I cast a 62 grain 32 ACP bullet with an iron Accurate mold. While I generally use two or three molds in rotation, I find with the 32 ACP mold I can only use one at a time. There just isn't enough hot metal going into the mold to keep it warm enough to cast bullets if I'm using more than one mold at a time.

On the plus side I can break it open do another pour almost immediately.
    Star Machine Works - Owner
    The Original Blue Press - Made by Machinists not Machines.
    NRA Patron Member

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rbwillnj View Post
    I cast a 62 grain 32 ACP bullet with an iron Accurate mold. While I generally use two or three molds in rotation, I find with the 32 ACP mold I can only use one at a time. There just isn't enough hot metal going into the mold to keep it warm enough to cast bullets if I'm using more than one mold at a time.

On the plus side I can break it open do another pour almost immediately.
    I recently purchased an RCBS 32-77RN mold that looks like it has not been cast with but have not tried it yet. I suspect this big iron mold will be the same way and want to be ran hot and a single mold cast. I always like to run at least 2 molds and if I can get away with it 3 molds at the same time. You just have to cast the way the mold wants to be ran. I find that my Lyman 22 molds are the same way and have to be used as a single mold to keep the heat up otherwise I don't get good cast from them.

wcp

Boolit Master

Bought a couple off of Arsenal, the last one cast under sized by.002. After several attempts, I gave up contacting him. Never returned a email. Rumor has it my situation is not unusual with regard to this goof. Tom at Accurate, does it right the first time every time.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB