Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .22 Hornet Loads

I am excited about replicating that 22lr load. Not sure why since I have a healthy abundance of 22lr ammo. Might be because now I have a reason to start casting 40 grain bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by birdshot View Post
    I am excited about replicating that 22lr load. Not sure why since I have a healthy abundance of 22lr ammo. Might be because now I have a reason to start casting 40 grain bullets.
    or easily duplicate .22 Mag performance with a reloadable case

Amung my several Hornet rifles is two cz527's, great rifle. After 1000's and 1000's of rounds shooting ground squirrels I still like 1680 best over all other powders with any 40 grain bullet although I mostly loaded Nosler and Hornady BT's - Load using a mid range starting load in grains then work up in tenths, I think you will find your rifles sweet spot very quickly. Once fired brass should be neck sized for best results watching case OAL between loadings, trimming when needed. My primer of choice has been Win small primers but in todays market use what you have or can afford.

Boolit Buddy
    I got 200 Remington 6 1/2 to try. These low pressure primers may not do a bit better than small pistol but it's worth trying.

Boolit Master
    I got stellar accuracy out of my ‘58 model Brno khornet using I think 11.2 grns 2205 and any srp.
    40 grn rn flat base worked well, but as the gun shops dried up of hornet gear from lack of sales I ended up using noslier 40 grn boatail orange plastic tipped things.
    Mine had worn that much I could just hold them in the neck and reach the lands.
    Still shot 1/2 to mostly 3/4" groups at 100 yrds.
    I only ever partially neck sided enough to hold a bullet.

I found working up 2 tenths of a grain till I found a sweet spot or three.
    Usually one just above staring loads. Another 3/4 say loads and another full noise or maybe more.
    I usually shot the softer load which kept things ticking along for ever.

I would usually clean after 20 or so shots which kept it in good condition.

That’s plenty of rabbits etc for a break anyway. And a cuppa and a chew on something.
    Ha.

If you want to load it to 222 velocities,buy a 222.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by brokeasajoke View Post
    I got 200 Remington 6 1/2 to try. These low pressure primers may not do a bit better than small pistol but it's worth trying.
    Please remind me what the difference is between Remington 6-1/2 and Rem 7-1/2 primers.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master

The 6-1/2 was designed specifically for the 22 hornet ( according to remington ) Also good for other low pressure rounds like 218 bee, 25-20, and 32-20
    The 7 -1/2 is for higher pressure small rifle rounds
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    Please remind me what the difference is between Remington 6-1/2 and Rem 7-1/2 primers.
    Do Not use 6-1/2's in anything making high pressure...the cup will puncture!!! Ruined the firing pin bushing on a Contender!! They make a Great, small pistol, 22 Hornet, etc Primer..

Vendor Sponsor

Thanks for the answer.
    Some irony, ...when I first got my Ruger 77-22 Hornet sometime in the early 1990's maybe, I had a house in Leadville, CO and in the Coast to Coast hardware store, they had two dusty old boxes of 22 Hornet ammo. They had not sold for years and I was able to get both for a song. One was Remington and the other, Winchester, the standard 46 grain load. The Winchester shot fine and the Remington wouldn't hit the side of the barn.

Not sure if Remington used the 6-1/2 primer in those or not. Do any of you find the softer 6-1/2 primer an advantage?
    Chill Wills

I like LilGun with 45 & 50 grain bullets out of my CZ. My chronograph data indicates the CCI500 SP primers give me the best/consistent velocities, and I've tried every US small pistol and small rifle primer in my tests (including magnums). My rifle really seems to like the Hornady 50 SP/SX with 12.6 of LilGun. The accuracy champ at 100 yards was with Nosler 40 grain Varmageddon HP bullets with 10 grains of N110 lit by the CCi 500 SP primer. I didn't think I'd ever see single digit standard deviation velocities in my Hornet until I tried N110. The velocities hover around 2700 fps with the 40 grain bullets, which suits me fine with the accuracy I get.

Boolit Master
    40 grns were the preferred in my cz with the 1:16 inch twist.223 bore which was probably 224 nearer the chamber in the end.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RAD57 View Post
    I like LilGun with 45 & 50 grain bullets out of my CZ. My chronograph data indicates the CCI500 SP primers give me the best/consistent velocities, and I've tried every US small pistol and small rifle primer in my tests (including magnums). My rifle really seems to like the Hornady 50 SP/SX with 12.6 of LilGun. The accuracy champ at 100 yards was with Nosler 40 grain Varmageddon HP bullets with 10 grains of N110 lit by the CCi 500 SP primer. I didn't think I'd ever see single digit standard deviation velocities in my Hornet until I tried N110. The velocities hover around 2700 fps with the 40 grain bullets, which suits me fine with the accuracy I get.
    Would you please , if it's not too much trouble, share the velocity of that 12.8 Lilgun/50 Hornady SP SX load? Do you have any experience with it on Coyotes and such? I'm wondering if it's fast enough to make the bullets expand?
    Thanks for your help,
    Rick

Boolit Master
    No experience with Remington 6 1/2 but my 22 Hornet and my 22 WCF both prefer small pistol primers.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

13.0 grains of lilgun with a remington 6 1/2 primer, in a case with just portion of the neck that holds onto the 35 grain v-max, sized. Generally shoots ~ .3's for me.

Boolit Grand Master
    what I use is 1680 and w296
    I like 35 gr v-max and 42 gr Calhoon but have used Nosler b-tips and Speer 45 gr's as well
    I have also tired srp and spp in mine as well jury still out on those
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Buddy

My Ruger No. 1 Varmint 22 Hornet shoots like it has eyes! Dime size 100 yard groups with 45gr Hornady HP's with 11grs WW680 surplus ball. Winchester 680 ball and commercial 1680 propellant is the same. Only thing is surplus WW680 was $3 per pound. Still have about 60 pounds left in the keg. This WW680 was the propellant used in 30 US carbine ammo. The powder was sold off as surplus about 20 years ago. Mike McPhearson wrote a great reloader manual. He was quite an experimenter. His load data lists many different and unusual propellants and successful loadings. My ole Ruger No 1 has alot of blood on it. Even a nice 8 point buck shot at 200 yards. Just a tiny 45 gr boolit!!! Your CZ527 in 22 Hornet is a great rifle. Have fun tuning up a good load. If you can't find any 1680 powder I will send you some WW680 to try.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by gc45 View Post
    Amung my several Hornet rifles is two cz527's, great rifle. After 1000's and 1000's of rounds shooting ground squirrels I still like 1680 best over all other powders with any 40 grain bullet although I mostly loaded Nosler and Hornady BT's - Load using a mid range starting load in grains then work up in tenths, I think you will find your rifles sweet spot very quickly. Once fired brass should be neck sized for best results watching case OAL between loadings, trimming when needed. My primer of choice has been Win small primers but in todays market use what you have or can afford.
    I agree, they are stellar rifles, absolutely beautiful. I was planning on using mine for coyotes, but more than likely it will be a target rifle for a while before I get it out in the woods. I can't wait to start reloading for it but I have to get a membership to my gun club first so I can test my loads. I am getting reloading supplies together, and I was debating whether or not I needed a case trimmer. How often do you use yours and do you feel like it is critical? In any case, I have a neck resizing die so I'm not working the brass too hard.

I did not get a chance to shoot it very often just because my dad was the one leading the charge on reloading, etc and it was a big time commitment; my rifle ended up sitting around for several years and I want to get it back out again. I love seeing all the replies though...shooting is very subjective especially based on the rifle, but some folks say to use 40 grain bullets, others say to avoid it. I really need to sit down and compare powder types to see what I can use for other calibers first and go from there. This thread has been a really good wealth of info that I will be drawing from for some time.

Can I ask what powder charge you are using with the bullets you are using? I intend to sight my rifle to 100 yards, if that makes any difference.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockindaddy View Post
    My Ruger No. 1 Varmint 22 Hornet shoots like it has eyes! Dime size 100 yard groups with 45gr Hornady HP's with 11grs WW680 surplus ball. Winchester 680 ball and commercial 1680 propellant is the same. Only thing is surplus WW680 was $3 per pound. Still have about 60 pounds left in the keg. This WW680 was the propellant used in 30 US carbine ammo. The powder was sold off as surplus about 20 years ago. Mike McPhearson wrote a great reloader manual. He was quite an experimenter. His load data lists many different and unusual propellants and successful loadings. My ole Ruger No 1 has alot of blood on it. Even a nice 8 point buck shot at 200 yards. Just a tiny 45 gr boolit!!! Your CZ527 in 22 Hornet is a great rifle. Have fun tuning up a good load. If you can't find any 1680 powder I will send you some WW680 to try.
    Wow, that is very generous! I will send you a PM once I get my ducks in a row; sounds like good powder especially in todays market. Thank you very much!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by RAD57 View Post
    Great info, I'll use this data to compile some starting loads for myself. Thanks a bunch!

Boolit Man
    I am not trying to stir up a Hornets nest,,, Pun intended,,,, But I finally went with a Jword bullet. The Sierra Blitzking in 40 gr with Vhitavouri N110 powder and pistol primers has been a stellar load for my Thompson 10" octagon pistol. I will take some photos to show the results at 100yds. I had tried Lil Gun and H110 but preferred this N110 powder to all else. Oh and yes I did try the 6 1/2 primers of Remington. Not sure if they affected the load that was with Lil Gun and H110 or not. But I did switch to pistol primers when I went to the hitavouri powder.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast