RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kentucky

Boolit Master

Kentucky

I'm like an impressionable teenager - I see something on TV and I want to be like the main character, or I see an interesting place and I want to visit it. I think it started with Davy Crockett and Daniel Boone.
    Anyhoo, we just finished watching JUSTIFIED, and I gotta say, Kentucky looks like a place I want to visit. It reminds me of NH. Where's a good area to visit?
    Also, I was wondering what the people of Harlan think of that series, and the way they portrayed the locals.

There are a lot of great places to visit in KY. The Horse Farm is nice, I took visitors there and they would always come away impressed. The distillery tours are fun. Maker's Mark is recommended. Lexington, Louisville, Edgewater - all worth visiting.

Boolit Master
    I live in Wayne county KY, and it is a beautiful area. Rolling farms, wooded mountains, Lake Cumberland with 1200 miles of shoreline. We have the worlds largest working waterwheel/gristmill, since before the civil war and they run it on special occasions. There is Millsprings battlefield site in Nancy KY. Our county is a large one, with a small town, Monticello. If you want to come down this way, I would be happy to spend a good part of a day or two showing you around. We are also close to the Alvin York homestead, about 45 minutes away, and beautiful scenery there. lI own about 20 acres that joins the wife and her two brothers family homestead of 800 acres, where the little south fork river starts basically right above our farm you can step across it, several large springs feed the river on our property. Very sparsley populated out there, only 4 houses in the entire valley which runs for miles back into Tenn. You may or may not see deer, turkey, bear, coyote and bobcats out there. Holler if you want to.

I live in Hardin County. Lincoln's birthplace is just down the road. I've not been yet, though I want to, more for the historical aspects of that time period than Lincoln himself.

Mammoth Cave might be someplace you'd want to check out, again, I ain't been yet. I have been to a cave, Squire Boone Caverns I think it was.

Whittaker Guns in Owensboro has closed.

RedHill Cutlery in Radcliff if you like knives, and happen to in the area. https://redhillcutlery.com/
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

I live in Louisville. For the most part, it’s a liberal dumpster fire. There are some decent places in Ky but I wouldn’t recommend spending much time in the city. Louisville does have some incredible craft beer shops and craft/commercial bourbon breweries and distilleries. Also the largest fireworks show in North America is coming up in a couple weeks.

Boolit Master

Kentucky Ballistics...........
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Just be careful if someone offers you a glass of apple pie.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Richmond here and out in the country. My family has been here since before statehood in 1792, one of my ancestors received a land grant in Clark County and we still have part of it today. Stay out of Louseyville and certain parts of Lexington and you'll be fine.

Sadly, some of the poorest places in the USA are in Kentucky. There really are places here where children go without shoes and get most of their nutrition from school lunch. Some people live without power and running water not by choice. Legal gambling and predatory lending hits these people really hard. But, you can find that stuff in LA and NYC too.

I'm a proud Kentuckian and our Commonwealth is great in so many ways. The rural areas are the best with lots of agriculture and awesome hunting and fishing opportunities everywhere. Wouldn't live anywhere else!

Far as visiting goes, any of the state resort parks are fantastic. Pretty much every town has tourist and historical attractions to go to. Frankfort is the state capitol and has the Kentucky Historical Society museum which is massive and would take more than a day to go through.
    Last edited by FergusonTO35; 04-02-2024 at 12:14 PM.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Just be careful if someone offers you a glass of apple pie.
    Just a sip at first, trust me on that!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Koger, thanks for the offer. If we go, it'll be in the fall. I'll have to translate when my wife talks with that Boston accent. It stands out even around here.
    We're flying into Las Vegas in a few weeks and driving to southern Utah, then Monument Valley, then Sedona, then flying out of Phoenix. At least that's what I'm told. I suggest, she plans.

Boolit Grand Master
    You will love it. Visited many times.

Tennessee is great too. Have done the Jack Daniels tour three times.
    Don Verna

Nicholasville here. Central part of the state. Keeneland, Wild Turkey distillery and many other tourist places. Classic Arms and Archery in Lexington is a great place to stop. Buds Gunshop is also in Lexington. Ky. Guns is in Bardstown.
    Ky State Director IHMSA
    Hunter Ed Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Check out Cumberland Falls State Park if you get close.
    Aim Small Miss Small

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Just a sip at first, trust me on that!
    On the Justified show, that's what the old lady called her tasteless, home made, quick action poison.
    It was kept on a different shelf than her regular moonshine.
    If she offered it to you,,,, and ya drank it,,,, you died

EVERYONE!

I know a gent who makes some good shine, and he makes sure the sheriff gets a few jars for Christmas every year!

Boolit Master

Parents were from Russell Springs and Columbia. I grew up in Louisville. It is beautiful around Lake Cumberland, spent a lot of time fishing that lake and also bellow the dam for trout and walleye. Haven't been back in years but taking my Mom up in May to visit some family probably for the last time. None of us are getting any younger. My Dad worked in a cooperage plant in Louisville. Some of the guys there made some good moonshine and a little good whiskey too.

Quote Originally Posted by 35isit View Post
    Nicholasville here. Central part of the state. Keeneland, Wild Turkey distillery and many other tourist places. Classic Arms and Archery in Lexington is a great place to stop. Buds Gunshop is also in Lexington. Ky. Guns is in Bardstown.
    I graduated from West Jessamine. 'Course, it was just Jessamine County back then

In years past, I'd made 190 proof, more of less pure alcohol. There's no big trick to it.
    However; 'the good stuff'---- now that is an art and a craft rather difficult to master.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Master
    Do you like to fish? Kentucky lake is it.

I lived in Knoxville TN for seven years, and once while driving through the norther edge of TN with my daughter, got lost and ended up in Monticello, KY. To this day, if I seemed a bit turned around she will ask me "Are we going to Kentucky?"

Kentucky has many aspects; the eastern Appalachian portion is very different from the bluegrass horse country and the great river valleys. People in Southern Indiana and Ohio have more allegiance to Kentucky than their native state.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast