Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: Lyman 450 handle pin size

Boolit Mold

Lyman 450 handle pin size

Could someone that has a Lyman 450 lubesizer tell me what size the pins in the handle are, both length and diameter? I recently purchased one on ebay and discovered that the handles like to pop off all the time while sizing. Pretty annoying! I want to stop by the hardware store on my way home and get some bolts and nuts to fit it. I figured I would ask the group in hopes that it save me a trip of having to go home and measure and then go back into town. Thanks!

Boolit Master
    I use 1/4" x 4" hex head bolt....recommend using Grade 8.
    COME AND TAKE IT
    Let’s Go Brandon!!!!

Boolit Mold
    Thank you Ed Shot! Good call on the Grade 8, I'll grab them on the way home.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GiddyUp View Post
    Thank you Ed Shot! Good call on the Grade 8, I'll grab them on the way home.
    Sorry just measured , I was away from the house, you need a 1/4 x 2" bolt ( not 4"). My bad!
    COME AND TAKE IT
    Let’s Go Brandon!!!!

Boolit Master
    I would wonder why the handles are popping off. Which type handle do you have the one with stamped plates and a big J shape or the straight stick with a ball on the end? I have both styles that size with no issues.

There should not be that much force required to where things flex. Do you have a stiff lube that should have some heat to flow well?

Boolit Mold
    Metric Monkey Wrench...I have the one with stamped plates and the "J" handle. The pins are 2" long and don't have any way of being secured on the ends (like a cotter pin, e-clip, or nut). It doesn't require very much force to make one side pop off the pin. I've heard of others having the same issue. I don't feel like it's a lube issue because I can recreate the issue without sizing/lubing a bullet, just running the ram up and down. But I'm using Lyman Ideal Bullet Lube.
    Last edited by GiddyUp; 04-02-2024 at 10:46 AM.

Boolit Mold
    Ed Shot....No worries. I discovered that a 4" bolt wasn't the right size when I got home. LOL! About 2" too long. I think I'm going to attempt to find some 2.25" x .25" grade 8 bolts with washers on both ends. I'll pick up some 2" x .25" bolts as well. I appreciate you helping me!

Boolit Master
    The 2.25 X .25 should work but make sure there is enough length for a nut. Forget the correct name but get the locking nuts that have the nylon insert to keep them from coming loose. The bolts on my 450's have a hole on the end that takes a cotter pin so your bolts may not be original. Some bolts are only threaded the last 1/2 inch or so with the rest of the length smooth, might want to use ones like that so the wear surface where the linkages rub are smooth.

Boolit Master
    I have 6--450s and there three bolt designs. A photo would help.

Boolit Mold
    For anyone that reads this in the future, the 2.25" x .25" bolts, a flat washer on each end, a lock washer and an acorn nut worked perfectly. You could get by with 2" x .25" bolts and a standard nut, but it kind of pinched the bars together and it inhibited the operation slightly.

Boolit Grand Master

Lyman used to sell a 450 handle upgrade / conversion kit .
    It has all the parts to convert the old stamped parts to the Round Ball handle like the 4500 . I bought a complete kit a couple years ago ... they may still have them in stock ... if anyone wants / needs a conversion kit ... price was right and it comes with all the parts .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"