Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: Swaging VLD style with a twist

Boolit Mold

Swaging VLD style with a twist

Hi there, been looking at starting up swaging for personal use and i have a couple questions.

I was looking at the new ELD-VT projectiles from Hornady and was thinking i wanted a slightly heavier 6mm version, something like 95-100gr BUT with a sleeker nose profile, Aluminum tips similar to the A-Tip Match, and a longer OAL.
    Basically something similar to BT Sniper's 130gr 6mm boolit but lighter core weight creating a very large empty hollow point for Varminting and a longer nose profile for less bearing surface and of course the tip (i could settle for a plastic tip if that would be simpler tbh I just thought the A-tip was an interesting concept.) End product i would hope is a suitable projectile to use for Target shooting and Varminting here in Aus, rabbits, foxes and Kangaroos (think a 50kg deer on 2 legs)

how feasible is this to do with a regular rockchucker supreme and what sort or tooling would one need to do this.

Cheers

Boolit Master
    "G-day mate!"
    Welcome to the Forum!

I'm a relative newbie to swaging. But I use a RCBS Rock Chucker press for my swaging. RCBS actually stands for; "Rock Chuck Bullet Swage." That's a little history. So, yes,, your press should be able to handle the work.

I'd look at corbin's website to see what they offer. And contact BT Sniper about his stuff. They can help answer your questions in more detail.

So far for me,, all I'm doing is .224 bullets out of .22 LR cases, and handgun bullets out of spent .9mm brass. Good luck!!!

Boolit Buddy
    MannyCA(I believe that is what he goes by) has a number of videos on You-tube, showing some of the things that can be done with an RCBS. There are others also.
    Might be worth taking a look.
    Last edited by Ajax111; 04-02-2024 at 11:38 AM.

Boolit Master

DIY 6mm jackets can be made from 22Mag and 17 mag brass!

Boolit Bub
    Your most cost effective option would be Larry Blackmon. The last I talked to him a few months ago his wait time was about 6 months. You can get a RCBS adaptor kit and a 3 die swaging set for $630 last time I checked. For only $680, you can get his excellent press and a 3 die set. I would go with his press if I was you. I would also get a core casting mold and a tubing jacket maker. That way all you need to source locally is pure lead and soft copper tubing and you can make all the bullets you want. At US prices for lead and copper tubing, you would be about $0.13 per bullet. Oh, and the only source I know for aluminum tips is Corbins if they ever figure out what they are making and what they aren't now under new ownership.

If RCE could be convinced to make 6mm dies (and he might), his Sea Girt press and a 3 die set would be about $850.

BT Sniper and Corbins would be around 300 to 400 percent more at the least.

Boolit Master

Your Rockchuck press will do the job, and if going that route Larry Blackmon offers an adapter kit that you should consider. First no matter whose gear you choose to go with it’s expensive. I opted for RCE (Richard Corbin) I started out with Dr. Blackmons rockchucker conversion. I still have it and occasionally use it. But my RCE gear is far and away superior Dr Blackmon’s gear is like Corbin’s M series of dies my experience with them was they are too fragile. And if you are serious about swaging dropping the coin on a walnut hill press is IMO the way to go. Your Rockchuck will do the job but a walnut hill will do it much easier, and at way less cost than Corbin’s S or H press. Since Corbin sells an adapter for their s dies in the walnut hill it can basically be adapted to anyone’s gear with some fiddling. I have not used any of BT Snipers gear and therefore can’t offer an opinion on it I believe it is fashioned after the Ch4D dies they used to offer. If cost savings is your goal then it would be much cheaper to just buy Hornaday bullets. I got into swaging because of availability not cost.

Test