Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Anyone familiar with Corradi triangle riffler that Woodcraft sells?

Boolit Buddy

Anyone familiar with Corradi triangle riffler that Woodcraft sells?

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/c...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

The last thing I need is yet another triangle fie maker’s riffler file that cuts flat bottom checkering. I had one I got from Brownells that was great, so far as I know they no longer offer it. I used it for cleaning up and fixing checkered stocks and loved it. I have no intension of using what I finally end up with and like on steel ever again, so that is not a concern. I’d just like to have another good one, but my last couple attempts to buy one ended in failure.
    Last edited by JDHasty; 03-31-2024 at 10:37 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I dont know about the woodcrafters but you might look at Groberts catalog. Groberts has a large selection of jewelers files, files, and riffles.

Boolit Buddy
    I think what I had and liked may have been Grobet. I’ll see if I can find it in their catalogue. Thanks

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    The cheap ones from Harbor Freight work just fine for the purpose.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    I buy zip ties and stuff like that at HF. I looked at the files and all I saw were some "diamond grit" needle files. Haven't found them to be usable for much of anything, instead of cutting they tear.
    Last edited by JDHasty; 04-01-2024 at 10:54 AM.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by JDHasty View Post
    I buy zip ties and stuff like that at HF. I looked at the files and all I saw were some "diamond grit" needle files. Haven't found them to be usable for much of anything, instead of cutting they tear.
    Must have changed over the years, I have some that are regular files.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Must have changed over the years, I have some that are regular files.
    Thank you for the suggestion. It seems that the "diamond grit files" have pretty much taken over that market segment.

Boolit Grand Master

Most of my files are groberts nickelsons (older) a few general needle files and my pride some hand cuts my grandfather made in his apprenticeship.

Keeping your files clean helps a lot. I use the coulton style cards but also made one from a piece of copper tubing.

I" soft copper tubing 6-7" long really not critical.
    Close one end flat with a vise. file or mill flat. Make this 1'-1 1/2" long
    I made an end to glue in the other end
    This will scrap almost everything out of the teeth in a 1" swipe. you want a little over lap.

Boolit Buddy
    Agreed. My file card is never out of my reach. I have some really nice files and rasps and take particular care of them.
    Last edited by JDHasty; 04-05-2024 at 11:53 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I took the plunge. Was out of town and it was on the porch when I got home. The verdict: I don’t see how it could be any better. Sharp, sharp, sharp and comes to a razor’s edge V. It was spendy, but it is what I was after. Absolutely beautiful.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JDHasty View Post
    https://www.woodcraft.com/products/c...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

The last thing I need is yet another triangle fie maker’s riffler file that cuts flat bottom checkering. I had one I got from Brownells that was great, so far as I know they no longer offer it. I used it for cleaning up and fixing checkered stocks and loved it. I have no intension of using what I finally end up with and like on steel ever again, so that is not a concern. I’d just like to have another good one, but my last couple attempts to buy one ended in failure.
    They might be a bit course for metal checkering. If you're only doing wood they should be perfect. https://www.corradishop.com/riffler-...83-cut-0-p-453

These are for metal. Gueswein only sells top quality stuff.

https://www.gesswein.com/search/?sea...angle+rifflers

https://www.gesswein.com/search/?search_query=files
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-06-2024 at 03:05 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

Im assuming you got the grobert, you cant go wrong with them. I have several swiss pattern groberts very fine no sand paper needed to polish the finish they leave.

Give the copper tube cleaner I described a try they are great

Boolit Buddy
    Couldn’t find the Grobet anywhere and bought the Corradi from Woodcraft. I have a few Grobet files and they are top shelf. I bought a fine cut ten inch mill file from them that was a disaster, but that was a unique experience. I returned it and ended up with a Nicholson that I got from Boggs, it is a beauty. Other recent Nicholson files have been pretty sketchy, but from what I have heard they are getting their QC issues worked out.

I have a Grobet Swiss pattern file that is kind of football shaped, it is so much loved here. I use it almost daily.

Gone are the days when a guy could just walk into Sears Roebuck and buy any file or rasp and walk out with a dandy. There is a lot more junk out there than good quality tools these days.

What is really frustrating is that ignition point files are getting hard to find good ones. I really like them, but finding the good ones is pretty dicey now days.

I will try that file cleaner. I have some pieces of copper water supply line here somewhere.

I have never tried copper but a 30/06 case with the neck end smashed flat in a vise also works very well. Works best for me to use it at an angle a little steeper than sharpening a knife blade and just push it across following the teeth. Plows all the junk out down to bare steel. I buy any old rusty, junked up file I see at flea markets or garage sales. Most clean up like new. Actually, most old files are better than the new ones from a hardware store.

Smashed '06 case here too.

Boolit Buddy
    We send flea market files to Boggs every couple years. Most come home better than new. Once they have been through their service I take great care not to have to repeat that. I am going to definitely give the copper file card a try. Even with me chalking my files, sometimes a chip sticks between the teeth and I have to fight it with my brush. I also clean out my sandpaper with the brush, w/o that I go through it like corn through a goose when dry sanding and polishing.

Boolit Buddy
    I looked again at the checkering I touched up yesterday and it is sharp and not the least bit fuzzy. That file is every bit as sharp and clean cutting as my Grobet needle files. $50 by the time it got here was a heavy lift, but it is well worth it to me.