Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: Sight insert cards

Boolit Mold

Sight insert cards

Does anyone know who actually makes the sight insert cards for LEE Shaver, and Buffalo Arms, etc. The card for my Parker Hale doesn’t have a thick enough post for these old eyes. Hoping to find the company that makes them for everyone to see if I could get them to make a few more variations.

Boolit Grand Master

I believe Distant Thunder will make custom inserts for most front globes.

I have modified an existing to a .125 wide post by cutting out the old post and soldering in the new one. I cut it out and set it in on a carbon block and solder the joint.

On some globes the slit is wide enough to tune by using 2 inserts together.

The other would be to set the insert on teflon or a plate with release agent and build it up with epoxy and file in. I have built sights up with JB Weld at times. Here you will want to cut the faces first with it backed on a plate then the sides. It will be delicate work.
    Inside the globe it is protected and the actual build up will be weightless so it should hold up good.

I believe that most of the cards are stamped or wire edm cut in stacks. Maybe a 3D printer could print one out of plastic but finding the right dullness may be hard.

What globe do you have?

Boolit Grand Master

Anyone of a laser cutter can do it. Contact Lee Shavers. If he is not willing to share who is doing the laser cutting he might have it cut for you. Distant Thunder seems to be out of business.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Man
    Jim Kluskens (Distant Thunder) was killed in an accident in September of 2022.

The Original Sight Co. in Wyoming sells cards for various sights. He might sell individual inserts, but not sure?

Boolit Grand Master

That is a true shame they had some nice items that were useful. I am sorry to here that.

Boolit Bub
    From what I understand most sight insert cards are acid etched. A laser could not cut pcs.
    Out and leave that thin of a line of material left. Something I was told .

Sent you a PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.doug View Post
    A laser could not cut pcs.
    Out and leave that thin of a line of material left. Something I was told .
    You were told incorrectly. Laser cutting is ideally suited for this type of application. Before I retired I had 4 laser cutting machines in the shop, so I do have some experience with them.

Just one example here https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/...ht+Insert+Card
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-02-2024 at 02:18 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

There's Parker-Hale Globe Sight Inserts for sale in the for sale section.