Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scratches on the drive bands of a cast bullet

Boolit Master
    Not the same problem but I had very stubborn galling on a brass sizing carbide ring. It took diamond paste on an oversized bore pellet spun VERY BRIEFLY on an electric drill to remove, and a second application of a finer grit paste to polish the matte surface to a mirror finish without any hogging out (as determined by the diameter of subsequently sized brass).

Well I think I had a similar issue but I discovered “How to hone a size die” by Buckshot here. https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...t-a-sizing-die

At the end it talked about using 400 grit wet\dry wrapped around a metal rod with plenty of oil and a piece of cloth stapled to a board. You roll it back and forth pressing down and holding either end of the rod. I found that it really polished up the inside of the die if you did it carefully. It got rid of all the sizing marks on my boolits. I did both Star and regular lyman sizing dies that were in need.

WashingMike

Boolit Bub
    You can get wet/dry sandpaper in VERY fine grits. I have 5000 grit (not a miss print, five thousand) and it is blue colored. I use it to polish epoxy that my wife casts and the epoxy is clear when done. Steel shines like a mirror. Usually I start no more coarse than 400 for really bad scratches and progress through 800, 2000 and then 5000. I use a wood dowel smaller than the hole and split with a saw to feed the paper in. I use a drill first but finish each grit by hand, going back and forth while rotating the hole. Any oil will work but I have five gallon pails of inactive sulfur and active sulfur cutting fluid so why not! Leaves a mirror shine and those scratches are not deep enough to materially change the sizing diameter.
    Besides, larger diameter rarely hurts the group size.

KB

Sent from my SM-A546U using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kennibear View Post
    You can get wet/dry sandpaper in VERY fine grits. I have 5000 grit (not a miss print, five thousand) and it is blue colored. I use it to polish epoxy that my wife casts and the epoxy is clear when done. Steel shines like a mirror. Usually I start no more coarse than 400 for really bad scratches and progress through 800, 2000 and then 5000. I use a wood dowel smaller than the hole and split with a saw to feed the paper in. I use a drill first but finish each grit by hand, going back and forth while rotating the hole. Any oil will work but I have five gallon pails of inactive sulfur and active sulfur cutting fluid so why not! Leaves a mirror shine and those scratches are not deep enough to materially change the sizing diameter.
    Besides, larger diameter rarely hurts the group size.

KB

Could I use that 5000 grit to polish the lenses of my scratched, old, polarized, sunglasses?

Boolit Grand Master

You can but if they are prescription lenses polishing changing the shape will change the prescription slightly. It will also remove or lighten the polarizing. A fine polishing paste on a cotton ball might be better. Also any polishing will lower the "safety" of them.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    You can but if they are prescription lenses polishing changing the shape will change the prescription slightly. It will also remove or lighten the polarizing. A fine polishing paste on a cotton ball might be better. Also any polishing will lower the "safety" of them.
    5000 grit shouldn't change the script too much!

Boolit Bub
    Yes it will. Unless you are good at it, it will add astigmatism. The 5000 will be clear but not optically clear. I finish with Turtle Wax Polishing Compound. Polishing not Rubbing compound. Your question is facetious me thinks.
    But, on a lighter note, a 3" disk w/5000 grit is a good first pass on crazed headlamp covers followed by a foam polishing pad with Polishing Compound to finish the job. Use water or 50/50 water alcohol to keep the plastic wet while using 5000. You don't have to cut all the way down through the deeper scratches, you stop at about 90-95% gone.

KB

Boolit Grand Master

I have polished lenses on old equipment with electric tooth brush ( the older one with the spinning head) and the ultra fine compounds. It works but can cause parallax and distortion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12