Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tungsten Super Shot turkey loads

Quote Originally Posted by Barry54 View Post
    I found that website this morning. The screen started jumping around at the checkout page, and I thought it was a bogus website after that.
    I understand your concern. I have bought around 15lbs of TSS in intervals and had no problem. They even sent their load recipes for what I purchased. I have no issues. Good luck.

Boolit Grand Master

Cost is relative. I shoot a lot of geese. Standard low-cost steel shot is what I use for that. I rarely don't get my daily limit of 5 birds. When I don't it's not the fault of the shot selection. No benefit to using higher cost shot for me for that application.

On the other hand, I was in AK for a waterfowl hunt. Swans were legal. Had I known that I would have taken some high density TSS. Everyone I had a chance at was 10 to 20 yards out of range for a 20 gauge with standard steel. With high density TSS I would have bagged one.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-03-2024 at 04:04 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    I loaded hevi-shot for a SP-10 ten gauge years ago quite a bit for geese and turkey. I loved it, loved the pattern density, the increased range and the energy it carried compared to worthless steel shot but there was issues. Tungsten likes tungsten powders much more than say blue dot. Tungsten is way harder than any barrel steel or choke, you must use shot wads designed for tungsten, mica dust and mylar wraps inside the cups to do all you can to protect the shot from ever touching the barrel. My experiences were mainly because steel shot is about as useful as a biden.

Tungsten vs lead opinions, lead when loaded with the correct amount of buffer, choke selection, barrel length and correct wads works great.

I got out of the tungsten game when the shot price spiked to $15/lb.

Ymmv
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    My new TSS jelly head choke is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Thinking about seeing how it patterns with lead first.

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Quote Originally Posted by lawdog941 View Post
    I understand your concern. I have bought around 15lbs of TSS in intervals and had no problem. They even sent their load recipes for what I purchased. I have no issues. Good luck.
    Got my tungsten shot in the mail. I’m thinking about 1/2 ounce of #4 on top of 1-1/2 ounces of #8-1/2 but a pound of each isn’t hardly enough to test and hunt with. My thoughts on the number four was it should be adequate for a coyote sneaking in.

I could stretch it further in 410, but can’t find 3” hulls anywhere.

I have a friend who has bought components and got data from hoglips and he said he is the real deal. He also told me he has had good luck with his TSS handloads in 410 but REALLY good luck with in 20 ga. He roll crimps everything and I saw his pattern targets. At 40 yds a fly couldn't escape! One thing we have to remember when shotgunning is that all guns don't shoot pattern centers to the sights. My 870 was a dog until I had the barrel tweaked(bent). Of course a red dot or a scope can solve this.
    Last edited by murf205; 04-21-2024 at 09:17 AM.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I’ve killed birds out to 90 yards with both my 10 and 12 gauge. Using #4 shot in the 12 and 5 shot, both copper plated. I don’t take shots that far any more. My average shot for the last 6years has been 15 yards. So close ive missed a few since my pattern looks like a shotgun slug at that distance. I shot a 26 and half pound three year old two weeks ago to morrow at about 18 yards max. I’ve been using cheap $5.99 per 10 #5’s in Remington nitro magnum, and their other 5 round for the same price Remington offering, Walmart specials the last five years. I also shot one with nickel plated #6’s with black powder at 25 yards in my old 10 gauge. I’m taking out my 10 gauge browning gold Wednesday with my next extra tag I bought. Copper plated #5’s in 2 oz. ZERO need for heavy shot unless I’m trying to shoot a bird farther than I should. Done with that. Funner to outsmart them and call them into my lap. Imo don’t waste your money. Guess if I was a six year old kid or disabled and could only tolerate a recoil of a 410 I’d buy heavy shot. My buddies kids and wife all have shot birds every year for the last five years with 410’s and heavy shot. They still. Don’t shoot over 20 yards and the pattern is so tight at that distance yet that they almost take their heads off.

Here's the head of the three year old I shot almost 2 weeks ago with cheap Remington nitro express 1 7/8 oz #5's. His eye was popped and missing.

It has 1 1/4" sharp pointy spurs and the beard had beard rot. Thought it was jake at first so I wasn't going to shoot it. Then I could see the light brown frosted tips on his short super thick beard and realized it either froze or rotted off.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; Yesterday at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by poppy42 View Post
    Ok all kidding aside. I load 12guage and 410 bore, although not with tungsten. I can tell you 410 is not the easiest shotgun to reload for. Especially if you don’t have any experience shotgun reloading. If you do jump down this rabbit hole, remember you don’t use the same wads for tungsten as you do for lead. Wads for tungsten are typically thicker/stronger than lead wads. Use a wad made for lead for tungsten and the wad gets turn up leaving your barrel exposed to the tungsten. Do this for very long and you’ll soon be replacing a barrel! With that being said I imagine stuffing that thicker wad in that 410 hull is something I don’t want to deal with. I don’t know what press your going to use but I’ve got a Mec 600 Jr. the wad likes to get stuck on the rammer/drop tube. Combine that with getting a right stack height and a proper crimp. I thought it was me but after some research and I found out that they seems to be a common problems. Loading 410 tungsten is just not something I’d do just to try out. I do wish you luck. And keep us informed.
    I wrecked a gobblin thunder choke tube with Remington factory HD shot. Big deep gouge streaks with metal missing. That shot was wicked. I shot a nuisance coyote a few years back at 109 yards braking both rear legs and paralyzed it. I’ve shot coyotes under 20 yards and have got complete pass throughs with HD BBs.

Boolit Master
    Turkeys here are more a nuisance that something hard to hunt or shoot. A 22 short at 10 or 15 feet would work fine or a 410 with a 1/2 oz load of about any lead shot would work fine. I use 9s in my 410s for grouse but they would work fine for a turkey if I wanted to shoot one. The turkeys here will get into my chicken pen to eat the chicken feed if I leave the gate open. I let the chickens out during the day and have had to chase turkeys out a few times. They would be easy to shoot but I'd have to be careful not to shoot myself in the foot as they ran out the gate.

Boolit Master

Sorry for the delay
    I have been killing and helping to kill turkeys for a week or so

I do not use the TSS shot
    But I use the older Hevi Shot
    I bought a bunch of it a number of years back when Cabela's stopped selling the shot and wads to reload it

I load 1 1/2 oz of #7 Hevi shot at about 1250 FPS
    I use a Remington 11/87 slug barrel that was factory set up for choke tubes
    I think the barrel is 23" ( add 2" for the choke tube sticking out )
    I also use a Pattern Master Turkey tube in the barrel
    With this set up I have to use a red dot sight
    As patterns at 20 yards are about 6" and about 24" at 60 yards
    The good thing about the Hevi Shot is that at 60 yards the pellets all still do a complete pass through of the neck head

This year I killed 2 Toms , My Lady got 2 and her grand son got 1
    All with my shotgun and loads
    Ranges were from about 10 yards to 50 yards
    All clean 1 shot kills

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Some day when I can swallow the hefty $100 per pound current price going for any type of “heavy shot” I’ll have to try some to load in my 10 gauge. I watched 22 plinkster pattern and gel test 10 gauge TSS loads at 100 yards…dead bird at that distance.