Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tungsten Super Shot turkey loads

Quote Originally Posted by Barry54 View Post
    I found that website this morning. The screen started jumping around at the checkout page, and I thought it was a bogus website after that.
    I understand your concern. I have bought around 15lbs of TSS in intervals and had no problem. They even sent their load recipes for what I purchased. I have no issues. Good luck.

Boolit Grand Master

Cost is relative. I shoot a lot of geese. Standard low-cost steel shot is what I use for that. I rarely don't get my daily limit of 5 birds. When I don't it's not the fault of the shot selection. No benefit to using higher cost shot for me for that application.

On the other hand, I was in AK for a waterfowl hunt. Swans were legal. Had I known that I would have taken some high density TSS. Everyone I had a chance at was 10 to 20 yards out of range for a 20 gauge with standard steel. With high density TSS I would have bagged one.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-03-2024 at 04:04 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    I loaded hevi-shot for a SP-10 ten gauge years ago quite a bit for geese and turkey. I loved it, loved the pattern density, the increased range and the energy it carried compared to worthless steel shot but there was issues. Tungsten likes tungsten powders much more than say blue dot. Tungsten is way harder than any barrel steel or choke, you must use shot wads designed for tungsten, mica dust and mylar wraps inside the cups to do all you can to protect the shot from ever touching the barrel. My experiences were mainly because steel shot is about as useful as a biden.

Tungsten vs lead opinions, lead when loaded with the correct amount of buffer, choke selection, barrel length and correct wads works great.

I got out of the tungsten game when the shot price spiked to $15/lb.

Ymmv
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    My new TSS jelly head choke is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Thinking about seeing how it patterns with lead first.

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Quote Originally Posted by lawdog941 View Post
    I understand your concern. I have bought around 15lbs of TSS in intervals and had no problem. They even sent their load recipes for what I purchased. I have no issues. Good luck.
    Got my tungsten shot in the mail. I’m thinking about 1/2 ounce of #4 on top of 1-1/2 ounces of #8-1/2 but a pound of each isn’t hardly enough to test and hunt with. My thoughts on the number four was it should be adequate for a coyote sneaking in.

I could stretch it further in 410, but can’t find 3” hulls anywhere.

I have a friend who has bought components and got data from hoglips and he said he is the real deal. He also told me he has had good luck with his TSS handloads in 410 but REALLY good luck with in 20 ga. He roll crimps everything and I saw his pattern targets. At 40 yds a fly couldn't escape! One thing we have to remember when shotgunning is that all guns don't shoot pattern centers to the sights. My 870 was a dog until I had the barrel tweaked(bent). Of course a red dot or a scope can solve this.
    Last edited by murf205; 04-21-2024 at 09:17 AM.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12