WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: online sellers

Banned

online sellers

guns.com

collectors firearms

Is there any bad history concerning these two companies and used revolvers?they each have some revolvers that look really good. One has a model 28 for less then a new built model 10. Sure the finish is almost gone, but wee.

Boolit Master
    I've never heard anything but positive about them.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I can honestly say I've never bought a firearm off any of the major online sites like that. But I have bought from individual sellers when a gun was presented online in a Forum. And many people use online places to buy firearms w/o issue.

But I'm the type I like to actually handle & give a good inspection of a gun before I spend money. My exception to that rule,, is when a person I trust & know their abilities to properly describe a gun tells me the honest truth about one. I'll accept their judgement.

Boolit Grand Master
    Collectors Firearms runs a bit high for my tastes but I have purchased from Guns.com with no problems whatsoever. IIRC, I got my Sig P320 and some magazines from them in two separate purchases. I have been tempted by some of the other offerings they have, but I prefer to personally examine when possible any firearm purchase I intend to make. However, If they had something I wanted, I'd buy without a thought.

Additionally, watch for guns that have free shipping--it will pay for at least some of your first box of ammo. Shipping is all over the place, from free--included in the price--to 75 or more dollars.

To clarify, I meant watch for free shipping on Guns.com items. They have free shipping on their certified used items.

Free shipping can mean "caveat emptor" as Der Gebirgsjager says.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 03-31-2024 at 12:12 PM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

You've got to examine that "free shipping" (which is unusual!) carefully. In my experience it indicates that the seller really wants to move it and is offering that added inducement to purchase the gun. You have to ask yourself "Why?"

I just ran across this myself. I collect Llama pistols (among others) and check the Gunbroker.com listings almost daily. There was a very nice mid-'60s production .45 IX-A vent rib slide model for sale, $450, free shipping. There was only one photo of the pistol, right side, and it looked great. I was willing to pay the $450 for such a nice condition specimen, but having "been around the block" I sent a message to the seller and asked to see a photo of the other side of the gun and asked if there were any mechanical issues. He came back with the information that he had forgotten that the pistol had no thumb safety present and had been intending to send it out for repair, but if I wanted it "as is" he'd sell it for $325, still with the free shipping. The photo showed that the slide stop and thumb safety spring and plungers are also missing, but otherwise the pistol looked the better part of new. I checked the ATF's FFL list to make sure the seller is a legitimate dealer, and he checked out with both them and Gunbroker's dealer registration list. So, I went for the deal and mailed off a money order. If I remember posting in this thread I'll return with a photo or two of the pistol after I receive it. I've already ordered a replacement safety from ebay for $36, and I've likely got the spring and plungers in my parts drawers from back in the gunsmithing days.

Another example: Two or three years ago I purchased a Win. '94 on Gunbroker that offered free shipping. The photographic description made it appear about average condition, but "free shipping" was offered. I contacted the dealer and asked, "How's the bore." He said to wait a minute, and he'd take a look. He came back with, "You can see through it--it might clean up." So, there was a gamble. I wanted it for my pickup truck anyway, so figured I'd take a chance. After it arrived I scrubbed the bore and it looks almost new. I refinished the stocks, and now it's just too nice to be a truck gun...so it was repurposed as a Safe Queen. However, it just as easily could have turned out to be badly rusted and pitted.

Conversely, there's a dealer named Hague's on Gunbroker selling numerous S&W Mod. 67s that must be foreign police trade-ins. That is a stainless steel gun, but they all show rust and signs of abuse. The asking price is quite reasonable for what they are, but they want $75 for shipping!

DG

That gun is rough. Bore is probably worse than the outside
    Attachment 325262
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by steve urquell View Post
    That gun is rough. Bore is probably worse than the outside
    Attachment 325262
    saw that one on collectors,, the price is nice, especially if you can get the smith and wesson factory refinish done. thats what only 300$ if i recall.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom_44 View Post
    saw that one on collectors,, the price is nice, especially if you can get the smith and wesson factory refinish done. thats what only 300$ if i recall.
    $599 on guns. I thought that was the one you were looking at. Couple of ones that look good on there for $699.
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by steve urquell View Post
    $599 on guns. I thought that was the one you were looking at. Couple of ones that look good on there for $699.
    there is a model 28 at collectors for 799 that someone did a bad nickel plate on, but further researching the ad says "fair bore, minor pitting". But yeah, guns does have some that are really nice looking. Am waiting for an email from guns about how they evaluate their revolvers.

Boolit Master
    My one purchase from Collectors was a Remington Model 8 in .25 Remington. They described the bore as in good condition. When it arrived, I was horrified to find multiple rings near the muzzle, and it would scarcely hit paper at 25 yards. I discussed the problem with them and they promptly made it right. Went through this once with Simpson Ltd. on an old rolling block and they made it right as well.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Abert Rim View Post
    My one purchase from Collectors was a Remington Model 8 in .25 Remington. They described the bore as in good condition. When it arrived, I was horrified to find multiple rings near the muzzle, and it would scarcely hit paper at 25 yards. I discussed the problem with them and they promptly made it right. Went through this once with Simpson Ltd. on an old rolling block and they made it right as well.
    why did you have to mention simplson ltd, i went and their home page has about 20 rifles ive wondered about for years, at prices i havent SEEN in 15 years.

Banned
    https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...n_id=102331349

I almost bought this handgun, i wont lie, i almost bought it. But i had a question on it, and so I emailed the seller store website in New Jersey. The seller was upset that I did not KNOW the gun had been sold over a week ago. Notice the advertisement makes no mention of SOLD

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Thom_44 View Post
    https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...n_id=102331349

I almost bought this handgun, i wont lie, i almost bought it. But i had a question on it, and so I emailed the seller store website in New Jersey. The seller was upset that I did not KNOW the gun had been sold over a week ago. Notice the advertisement makes no mention of SOLD
    I'd have emailed back then how about marking it sold if you don't want to be bothered then never deal with that seller.

Boolit Master
    Collector’s Firearms in Houston is an incredibly well stocked, full retail gun store. The sign on the front of the store says “Best Damn Gun Shop in the World”. Sounds like brag (duh), but when you walk in and realize they have a deep stock of match locks to polymer framed guns filling what used to be a large Barnes and Noble building, they might be right.

I’ve bought a few pieces there through the years. But understand they have a huge overhead with that store and the staff (all dressed in black shirts). And their stock is just hard to put into words. It is not a place to shop for bargains. It is a place to buy rare, really old or very collectible pieces.

I notice some of the museum quality pieces have stayed there through the years. They are priced to stay. I think that is why they named it Collector’s. They are the Collectors!

But I do watch their website daily and drop in every month or so. The store has more than is shown on the website.

One time I did buy a S&W Model 58 that popped up on their website. I was in the Texas panhandle that night so bought it over the internet and picked it up at their store next time I was in Houston. No problems other than the cost.

They are reputable. Their reputation is keeping an huge stock of very expensive and sought after guns. They also have some of the more mundane modern pieces. But it’s their high end, early guns, old Colts, old Winchesters, old militaria that is their forte. If you want a first or second year of production Colt Single Action Army, that’s where you go to look at a few of them.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    I'd have emailed back then how about marking it sold if you don't want to be bothered then never deal with that seller.
    Im still waiting for a reply to that email. I actually got a reply to that question and here is the cut and paste

"Guns International should have removed it. Sorry. Ron"

Definitely wont be dealing with that place. That was the only revolver they had that came near "properly priced"