Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lyman Cast Bullets Manual 4th edition

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WRideout View Post
    Interestingly, the Lyman 4th ed. has loads listed for obsolete powders such as SR4756. That information was not available in the previous manuals. Makes me wonder what changed that they now include data for powders that are no longer manufactured.

BTW: I keep all my old reloading manuals, even the ones that are falling apart. Some of that information is not available anywhere else.

Wayne
    Yet...There is Nothing I can say I "like" about the 4th Lyman cast book
    I have been getting along very nicely with the 2nd Pistol, Revolver Book!!
    Along with the 47th manual, and of course the 3rd Cast Book

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    Yet...There is Nothing I can say I "like" about the 4th Lyman cast book
    I have been getting along very nicely with the 2nd Pistol, Revolver Book!!
    Along with the 47th manual, and of course the 3rd Cast Book
    I do frequently grab the 4th when I go to reference data. But like you I still find the 3rd to be a VERY useful loading manual. But, I also break out the 44th every now and then to get ballparks for heavy bullets no longer offered. Having more than one manual is required!
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post

I'll Drink To That Don
    Gary
    Thanks Gary.

It really ticked me off to buy a paper copy, but that may be why they “updated” the site. Or some DEI hire who has never reloaded got the job.

And they wonder why we become grumpy old men.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by WRideout View Post
    Interestingly, the Lyman 4th ed. has loads listed for obsolete powders such as SR4756. That information was not available in the previous manuals. Makes me wonder what changed that they now include data for powders that are no longer manufactured.

BTW: I keep all my old reloading manuals, even the ones that are falling apart. Some of that information is not available anywhere else.

Wayne
    Hey! SR4756 can't be obsolete, I just loaded up a dozen+ boxes of 20 gauge skeet loads with it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Until very recently, I urged buyers, "if you only get one, get the Lyman 3rd Edition CBH" but now I hold my nose and recommend the 4th edition.

And that is simply because so many of the powders are discontinued. Load 44 Special? OVER half of the powders listed for that cartridge are no longer available. I can't remember the last time I saw a can of 630 or AL-8 for sale. The OP asked for titegroup powder info, but there are oodles of powders not listed there. Varget, Power Pistol, Clays, Zip, AA #2, 5,7 or 9. None of the VV powders were around back then. Make sure you've got Bullseye, 2400 or Unique if you are looking for pistol load info in the older manuals.

And while I am in the whine mode, I'll join the chorus of complainers about the Hodgdon web-site changes. Dang it, I KNOW what powders I have. It is a nuisance to have to either search through a dozen listings to see the 2 or 3 that I want, or else hunt for them, one at a time. But their printed manual is just as worse. To make room for the Western and AA powder listings, they dumped a bunch of calibers all together. You have to go to their website for such oddball cartridges as the 250 or 300 Savages, the 44 Spl, the 32 acp, the 32 S&W long, the various short magnums. Aw phooey. I'm old, I don't like change.

Except underwear. I enjoy a clean pair of shorts in the morning.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Powder and other component availability is a concern.
    If it were Not for Places like this, and Other Interweb sources...I would Not know about BE-86...certainly Not from the Newest Published #4...
    I still use the older Lyman books the Most..Pushing #4 aside....

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    Powder and other component availability is a concern.
    If it were Not for Places like this, and Other Interweb sources...I would Not know about BE-86...certainly Not from the Newest Published #4...
    I still use the older Lyman books the Most..Pushing #4 aside....
    How do you like BE-86? Someone recommended it to me a while back for it's low-flash properties in handguns. Looking to drive a 125gr Lead HP as fast as possible in a 38spl...
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Thank y'all for all the replies. I'm very happy I bought the 4th edition. The 3rd and 4th combined hold lots of great information.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    How do you like BE-86? Someone recommended it to me a while back for it's low-flash properties in handguns. Looking to drive a 125gr Lead HP as fast as possible in a 38spl...
    I am having very good luck with BE-86..Should have bought More...But, Powder Valley has it on sale just now..
    I have been using BE-86, Grain for Grain, with Unique Loads, In Everything so Far. Yes it seems slower, which we Knew, But, Start at the usual Unique Charge, and Work from there with yer Chronograph... I like this Stuff Alot... But sorry I do Not load 125's in 38/357. Certainly Not Jacketed. And when I do Load jacketed, 140's, in 38 or 357, I use Blue Dot (38), and H110 (357).
    Good Luck

Boolit Grand Master
    On further observation, the "new 4th Edition" is now 14 years old. quite a few powders have come and gone over the last 14 years.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Not only have some powders become obsolete, new cartridges and powders have become available since the 4th edition went to print. Where's the data for 6.5 Creedmore, 350 Legend, and 450 Bushmaster, (plus others)? I think it's time for Lyman to start thinking about making the 5th edition CBH.

I had the same thoughts. Lyman should start working on the 5th edition.
    405grain you're in my neck of the woods.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Thanks Gary.

It really ticked me off to buy a paper copy, but that may be why they “updated” the site. Or some DEI hire who has never reloaded got the job.

And they wonder why we become grumpy old men.
    That is exactly what I was thinking ... The computer programing Nerd who "revised" the data center must have no idea what handloading and reloading is ... OR
    Make it so bad they have to buy our manual to get data ....
    Yeah ... that's the ticket !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    They way of IT pros: One step forward, two steps back. They're almost as bad as weather forecasters in Michigan. On any given day, any time of the year: It could rain, it could be sunny, it could snow (in JUNE!), it could be partly cloudy. I wish that I could be wrong 50 percent of the time and keep my job!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12