Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lyman Cast Bullets Manual 4th edition

Lyman Cast Bullets Manual 4th edition

I have the 3rd edition but there is no load data for Titegroup powder. I was thinking to buy the 4th edition but before buying I wanted to ask first if there is any load data for Titegroup. I was looking for 9mm and .38 spl and there is no load recipe involving TG. Then I looked for other calibers and it looks like TG is nowhere to be found in the 3rd edition. I have an 8 lbs jug of TG and I want to put it to good use for plinking purpose.
    Any input much appreciated.

My Lyman #4 has titegroup data in 9mm and 38spl.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Thank you kindly sir. I'll order the manual.

Boolit Master
    I don’t believe titegroup was available when the 3rd edition came out. There is definitely load data using titegroup on the 4th edition.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Buddy
    Hodgdon will help you with data, as well. E mail or call them. For light loads or midlevel, ask them for cowboy load data.

Boolit Grand Master

Order Lyman's Cast Bullet Manual #4 ...
    Hodgdon's Load Data Center has become rather a pain in the bunghole to deal with ... plus lots more powders and cast boolits in the Lyman Manual .
    Get the Book ...
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I just doubled checked for you. The Lyman 4th has Titegroup data for every single 9mm bullet listed, and all but one 38spl bullet listed. Buy it with confidence it'll have the data you want.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Banned
    But you still need to keep the 3rd edition for most cartridges have suffered a loss of data between the two for some reason.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom_44 View Post
    But you still need to keep the 3rd edition for most cartridges have suffered a loss of data between the two for some reason.
    That's not uncommon. I even keep a copy of the Lyman 45th handy to be able to look up older designs that have fallen out of popularity.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    That's not uncommon. I even keep a copy of the Lyman 45th handy to be able to look up older designs that have fallen out of popularity.
    Just look at what dissappeared for 8x57 mauser

Boolit Master

Lyman Cast Bullets Manual 4th edition

Just look at what dissappeared for 8x57 mauser
    Yup. It's also interesting to see that older data. I brought up a change in .380acp data about a year ago or so. Some of that old .380acp data was into the 9mm Luger range pressure wise... I think there was a load for the 358242 120gr variant at something like 1100fps... Thats SCARY!

Banned
    Yup. It's also interesting to see that older data. I brought up a change in .380acp data about a year ago or so. Some of that old .380acp data was into the 9mm Luger range pressure wise... I think there was a load for the 358242 120gr variant at something like 1100fps... Thats SCARY!

And everyone says that the industry has NOT been watering down ammunition over the years. Bet most EUROPEAN built .380s would love that "scary" load for reliability. Bet it would be FUN in a full size 1911

Boolit Master
    And everyone says that the industry has NOT been watering down ammunition over the years. Bet most EUROPEAN built .380s would love that "scary" load for reliability. Bet it would be FUN in a full size 1911
    Yeah, or even that 92gr load approaching 1200fps... I'm not sure you can even fit 4.5gr of Unique into the 380 case and still be and max OAL... Definitely sounds like a compressed load from my experience. Even the starting load in that manual is almost at book max for the current manual. Personally I use 3.4gr of Unique and it is a very nice shooting load at probably around 900-950fps...

Boolit Bub
    Yeah, or even that 92gr load approaching 1200fps... I'm not sure you can even fit 4.5gr of Unique into the 380 case and still be and max OAL... Definitely sounds like a compressed load from my experience. Even the starting load in that manual is almost at book max for the current manual. Personally I use 3.4gr of Unique and it is a very nice shooting load at probably around 900-950fps...
    Unique will compress very easily.

I won't get rid of any reloading manual let alone the Lyman cast 3rd edition. I already ordered the 4th edition.
    The reason I asked if the 4th edition has TG in it is because I found in a plastic bin around 5000 bullets 9mm 124 grains cast with a Magma mold in my Master Caster. They all weigh 128-129 grains (I guess is the alloy) and I was looking for few loads that ask for Titegroup. In the same box I found also around 7000 bullets .38spl also weighing around 128 grains. So I was thinking to put that 8lbs TG to good use for both calibers. It looks like I won't be casting for a while as I have enough projectile for at least a year of shooting.
    I hope I'll find me in the 4th edition two decent loads for plinking for both calibers.

Here you go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3507.jpg   IMG_3506.jpg  
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Interestingly, the Lyman 4th ed. has loads listed for obsolete powders such as SR4756. That information was not available in the previous manuals. Makes me wonder what changed that they now include data for powders that are no longer manufactured.

BTW: I keep all my old reloading manuals, even the ones that are falling apart. Some of that information is not available anywhere else.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Order Lyman's Cast Bullet Manual #4 ...
    Hodgdon's Load Data Center has become rather a pain in the bunghole to deal with ... plus lots more powders and cast boolits in the Lyman Manual .
    Get the Book ...
    Gary
    I am old guy who does not appreciate many new and improved of things. The Hodgdon site is so bad I ordered a paper manual.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I am old guy who does not appreciate many new and improved of things. The Hodgdon site is so bad I ordered a paper manual.

I'll Drink To That Don
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Yeah, I don't know why they had to change it. Before you could choose your cartridge, bullet weight and powder manufacturer then select whichever powders you wanted to look at. Now once you select the 1st powder, that's all it will let you look at. The only other option is to not select any and then you have to look at them all. Even the ones you know you most likely will never try. Som people seem to think that any change is progress even if it is two steps backwards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast