RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sabbath Rest

Boolit Master

Sabbath Rest

What constitutes work? I enjoy casting and reloading, and I find those activities rejuvenating. Schmelting is definitely work.
    8 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 For six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is a Sabbath of the Lord your God; on it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, or your daughter, your male slave or your female slave, or your cattle, or your resident who stays with you. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea and everything that is in them, and He rested on the seventh day; for that reason the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.
    Exodus 20:8-11, NASB

You'll likely get a full spectrum of answers. I observe the Sabbath as best I'm able, and to the extent I find possible. I avoid chores like going shopping or chopping wood, but do prepare meals, wash dishes--those things necessary. I find no harm in the pursuit of recreational pursuits, but one should remember that it is a time to turn one's thoughts to God. If circumstances don't prohibit it, I think one should fellowship with like minded people. Living remotely, that is out for me. The Lord did cite the "ox in the ditch" example, and one must do what absolutely needs to be done.

I knew a fellow who's parents were ultra-orthodox Jews. He told me that they spent the day sitting, contemplating, and praying, and that they wouldn't even turn on the lights or visit the bathroom. Sounds more like torture than a blessing to me. The scriptures state that it is "a day of rest."

Boolit Master
    He said to them, “Haven’t you read what David did when he and those who were with him were hungry — how he entered the house of God, and they ate the sacred bread, which is not lawful for him or for those with him to eat, but only for the priests? Or haven’t you read in the Law that on Sabbath days the priests in the temple violate the Sabbath and are innocent? But I tell you that something greater than the temple is here! If you had known what this means: I desire mercy and not sacrifice, you would not have condemned the innocent. For the Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath” (Matthew 12:3-8).

Boolit Master
    That's a sore spot with me.
    I worked "on call" pager half my life.
    So I worked Sundays and holidays, usually two weeks a month.
    If you have a cold house by day or night, call me, but I am weary of routine emergencies.
    (Not a problem now in AZ)

Had almost an argument with a deacon some several Sunday mornings.
    This is Fairbanks winter, way below zero 10AM dawn.
    Boss donated three big Lennox roof units to his new church, free service.
    If we let them sit a week and expect them to fire up at 8AM
    we are going to be disappointed sometimes, expecting frosted controls to light gas.
    Had to swing by my shop for my 40 foot ladder, put it up in a snowbank alone,
    scale the ramparts and figure out why we won't light gas again.

Argument was debate on lighting up Saturday night, so the place would be warm on Sunday morning, and maybe I could go to church too. Nonono we can't waste the gas. Don't tell me how to run my church, and fix the things right this time. Yes, indeed, the units had electric heaters in the control boxes, but if it wasn't one thing it was another. They could lose comm to the thermostat, yah it was cold in that annex. Most people run their units all winter, Walmart has 32 just like these, and the Walmart roof units just run fine all six months of winter.
    Roof units in Fairbanks on a Sunday morning....
    That job was too much fun, so I went to work for the University where Sunday is just another day.

"Why do the heathen rage and imagine a vain thing?"

CHRIST IS my sabbath. I rest in him whenever I am weary...7 days a week...not just one. I remember the sabbath and keep it holy EVERY day. If I need to bust wood or mow grass on a Sunday...I will do it. If THAT is the difference between me overcoming and perishing....I never had a chance to begin with.
    Colossians 2:16 ...Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days.
    Romans 14:5 ....One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

Make up your own mind, if Our Father gives you peace of mind & spirit over it...go with it and don't let someone else give you crap about it.
    Isaiah 45 - I AM the Lord and there is none else

Boolit Master
    I had had a boss in the '80s who wanted to schedule residential boiler service for weekends in the summer. That would be your "free cleaning" with your service contract automatic delivery and budget payment plan. (Be sure to keep your cancelled checks). Good deal really, you're making DHW all summer, August is not summer anymore in NH. The October rush was a quick service, ten a day.
    Of 20 techs all but me were delighted to brush boilers on overtime. Customers were happy, they were home.

Five of us would be rolling any Sunday chasing calls, like O3 (Out Of Oil).
    Letting your customers run out on Sunday makes no friends.
    What is wrong with this picture?

Boolit Master
    Just my personal opinion, but I think the Sabbath day of rest involves two things - purposeful worship that is more focused than the remainder of the week, and abstinence from your NORMAL labors, e.g., if a woman is a housewife who bakes bread every morning, the Sabbath would allow her to rest from her work of making bread. Subsequently, your "hobbies" don't count, because they are a labor of love.

When this command was given, most people worked from daylight until dark at their usual tasks, then they ate and slept until the next day. The Sabbath gave everyone a day of reasonable rest - to heal, sleep, worship, pray, reflect, etc., in order to get ready for the upcoming week.

I'm sure there are better explanations...YMMV
    Last edited by HWooldridge; 04-01-2024 at 03:25 PM.

I'll repeat myself to say, everyone must make up their own mind on this one....but Jesus said in Mark chapter 2 verse 27 sabbath was made for the man and not man for the sabbath.
    Stay in his word every day and don't over do it.

Boolit Master
    As a follower of the New Testament (brought into power by the death and resurrection of the Testator), I don't give any heed to the sabbath! The Sabbath is Old Law for the Jewish people. I memorialize Christ resurrection on the First day of the week, with brothers and sisters of like faith! The sabbath died on the cross!

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Christ
    For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
    The Law is not bad, people are bad. The law lets you know what sin is...Romans chapter 5
    The blood of Christ will forgive but without the Law how would you know when and of what to repent?
    Last edited by Nines&Twos; 04-01-2024 at 04:25 PM.

Boolit Master
    So where do you do the burnt offerings?

9 of the 10 commandments are listed in the New Testament. Keeping the sabbath isn't.

Make a study of the differences between Law...Ordnances and Statutes. There's a big difference and most choose to read over it and pretend it's all the same. I guess for some it's easier to write off the Old Testament like a history book. The blood ordnances were nailed to the cross. Statutes like health rules (clean and unclean) are more of a sin against your flesh not you soul. Breaking the food guidelines won't send you to a lake of fire but they'll make sick and/or exacerbate health problems you may already have.
    There is no conflict as some suppose [create].

Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    The Sabbath is Old Law for the Jewish people.
    Only the tribe of Judah? What about the other 11 tribes? Judah belongs to Israel but Israel does NOT belong to Judah.

Boolit Master
    We have a new covenant!
    Burnt offerings are brisket on the smoker.
    "A savory smell..."

My dad told me service work on the Sabbath, that's Sunday, should be in defense of life and property.
    Of course you feed chickens on Sunday.
    For Fire and Police it's just another day.
    And the University had alarms, everything is monitored and alarmed.

If I find your house freezing, and I can get heat back on, and the splits soldered, happy to help.
    But who are you to tell me I cannot go to church with my wife?

'

Boolit Master
    The Sabbath was given to Israel, not the church. The Sabbath is still Saturday, not Sunday, and has never been changed.

https://www.gotquestions.org/Saturday-Sunday.html

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ioon44 View Post
    the sabbath was given to israel, not the church. The sabbath is still saturday, not sunday, and has never been changed.

https://www.gotquestions.org/saturday-sunday.html
    bingo!

Boolit Master
    Yes indeed. I didn't want to work on Saturdays either.
    Saturday is a day off with your kids.

Boolit Master
    I grew up farming. The cows where at the gate every morning, Saturday, Sunday, Christmas, Easter, cold, hot, rain, snow etc etc!

My career has been in health care. Guess what? The same work days applied as on the farm, everyday!

Boolit Mold
    We had a pastor several years ago who's wife would cook extra meals on Saturday so as not to "work" on the Sabbath. He was the only pastor we've had who practiced this. I believe it is between you and God. I feel it is fine for us to practice relaxing hobbies on the Sabbath and, for me, reloading is relaxing so is target shooting. Just my 2 cents, YMMV.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ioon44 View Post
    The Sabbath was given to Israel, not the church. The Sabbath is still Saturday, not Sunday, and has never been changed.

https://www.gotquestions.org/Saturday-Sunday.html
    You are right, very rigth!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast