RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: Powder coating anything that comes out the end of a shotgun?

Boolit Master

Powder coating anything that comes out the end of a shotgun?

First off I don’t know if this is exactly the right place to be posting this, I mean my question concerns powder coating but maybe it belongs in the shotgun forum. So mods if it’s the wrong place please Relocate it.
    OK here goes. When I powder coat a boollet I do it for two reasons. Well really it’s only one reason but I guess you could call her two.
    The first and primary reason I powder coat is it gives me the ability to push a boolet At a higher velocity then a non-powder coated bullet without leading The bore of whatever I am Shooting.
    The second reason is to eliminate having to lube my boolets! ( this is really a non-reason for me. I really don’t mind using my lube sizer and lubing my bullets. But I’ll leave this in here as a reason anyway). Now i’ve seen more than one thread on various different forums that I belong to. Including this forum. We’re people talk about powder coating buckshot and slugs! So with all that being said can anybody give me a valid reason for powder coating buckshot or slugs? Now remember this Hass to be a valid reason. I don’t consider I powder coat my book shot because I like making pretty pink buckshot and slugs. I’m shot countless rounds of buckshot and slugs through numerous shotguns and I’ve never gotten any wedding to speak of in any of my shotguns that I’ve shot buckshot and slugs through! Besides if you were giving lead in your barrel from buckshot or slugs couldn’t you get just as much leading Shooting regular shot? Would you powder coat number 7 1/2 shot? It’s not like I’m looking to shoot buckshot and slugs at 2,000 fps. So I’m curious. Can someone give me a valid reason?
    Don’t get me wrong if you like Shooting bright, colorful projectiles I have no problem with you powder coating them. But that’s the one rather than a need. I’m not trying to step on anybody’s toes or argue with them. I’m just trying to figure out if there’s some ballistic reason for doing it. I certainly can’t think of one.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Buddy
    The third magic trick of powdercoating is the slight increase in size. And because of the importance of the fit within a wad, being able to adjust the size with powdercoat can be helpful.

Also, there are many offerings of fullbore shotgun projectiles which benefit from powdercoat just like any other boolit.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent1187 View Post
    The third magic trick of powdercoating is the slight increase in size. And because of the importance of the fit within a wad, being able to adjust the size with powdercoat can be helpful.

Also, there are many offerings of fullbore shotgun projectiles which benefit from powdercoat just like any other boolit.
    Not really. Generally with a slug you trying to decrease the size to get it to fit in a wad. And if you’re talking about a tight fit to better in grave in the rifling don’t forget half the time you talking about a smoothbore and even with a rifle barrel that rifling is nowhere near as deep as it is on a rifle or a pistol! so I don’t see what benefit you’re talking about. I know there’s certain slugs and shooters that you’re talking about minute of angle accuracy but for the most part you’re talking about 50 yards and keeping it in a one or 2 inch group. And as far as MOA accuracy at 100 yards I gotta see that to believe it. Even if that kind of accuracy is possible I beg the question of why? If you’re looking for that kind of accuracy use a rifle. Anyway back to the original problem maybe with a slug but no benefit for buckshot!
    Last edited by poppy42; 03-30-2024 at 08:49 AM. Reason: I hate freaking auto correct

Boolit Master
    I ain't had no extra room in a wad or hull with naked buckshot. Adding more diameter means less buck and which means less payload. Can't say that I'll be PCing anything for the shotguns in the foreseeable future.

Boolit Mold
    I shot a lot of slugs and round balls and don't powder coat them.

Boolit Master
    Exactly what I’m getting at why would you powder coat anything that comes out of the barrel of a shotgun!