Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: NEW but OLD LEE MOLD ----- HELP please

Boolit Mold

Question NEW but OLD LEE MOLD ----- HELP please

Hi everyone. I need some help with a brand new mold I bought many years ago, but it is old stock and the part number is now on a different mold. It is a Lee 90324 mold , .358 166 grain SWC marketed for .38 Special and .357 Mag. I would like to use it but am at a loss for any possible data. Anyone out there have experiance with this mold ? Any help is greatly appreciated ! Thanks for your time.

You can use j word data.
    Has to be reduced for cast though.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Buddy
    This is the problem with cast bullets and the thousands of molds / commercial cast bullets out there. Unless you have an exact match from the limited cartridge listings in a Lyman reloading manual there is no load data. Sure some casters give recommended loads but they are usually mid range target loads and not actually pressure tested. Loading cast bullets is easy and safe with a little knowledge but it is not for beginners who should start with the exact combinations listed in the newest manuals.

The usual recommendation is to use the load data for a heavier bullet but you will not be able to do that with a wadcutter. In a pistol believe the pressure is mostly dependent on how far the bullet is seated into the case so if you try and seat a 166 wadcutter flush the charge should be drastically reduced. If you seat it out further like a regular bullet you should be OK but unfortunately you are on your own with deciding the OAL..

Boolit Buddy
    Find load data for a projectile of equal weight. Most mold manufacturers will provide schematics on their site. From the cartridge length in the load data and the projectile length in the schematic, you can figure the seating depth. It is the seating depth that affects pressure. Seat your projectile to the same depth and use the data. You should be good to go, unless this lengthens the C.O.AL. to the point that it's jammed into the rifling upon chambering.

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Quote Originally Posted by sureYnot View Post
    Find load data for a projectile of equal weight. Most mold manufacturers will provide schematics on their site. From the cartridge length in the load data and the projectile length in the schematic, you can figure the seating depth. It is the seating depth that affects pressure. Seat your projectile to the same depth and use the data. You should be good to go, unless this lengthens the C.O.AL. to the point that it's jammed into the rifling upon chambering.
    What a great explanation with comparison of seating depth. Brilliant!!
    Last edited by Barry54; 03-31-2024 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Spelling correction

Boolit Grand Master

Use the data in Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th Edition
    for the Lyman #358429 - 170 gr. SWC boolit - there is data for both 38 special and 357 magnum ... data for the 4 grain heavier 170 gr. boolit will be perfectly safe for the 166 gr. lighter boolit .
    Seat the bullet and crimp in it's crimp groove ... no book OAL number is required .

Also look at the data for the 6 grain lighter boolit , Lyman # 358311 - 160 grs.-
    This data will give you another point of view / suggested starting & midrange loads and as long as you don't load any Maximum loads with the 6 grain heavier Lee boolit you will also be safe .
    What kind of loads are you looking for ... I am pretty sure I have worked with this Lee mould and have my notes ... used Unique and Red Dot ... glad to check for you .
    Load Safe ,
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 03-30-2024 at 12:08 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    for the Lyman #358429 - 170 gr. SWC boolit - there is data for both 38 special and 357 magnum ... data for the 4 grain heavier 170 gr. boolit will be perfectly safe for the 166 gr. lighter boolit .
    Seat the bullet and crimp in it's crimp groove ... no book OAL number is required .

Also look at the data for the 6 grain lighter boolit , Lyman # 358311 - 160 grs.-
    This data will give you another point of view / suggested starting & midrange loads and as long as you don't load any Maximum loads with the 6 grain heavier Lee boolit you will also be safe .
    Load Safe ,
    Gary
    This'll work if an educated guess is good enough for what you're doing. Lord knows I've done exactly the same many times.
    But, if you want to know exactly what the manual says is a max load, you MUST know your seating depth. Especially important for pistol and revolver loads.
    As an example, my load for my 9mm increases pressure by about 1,900 psi by seating 0.011 deeper. A little bit, in that tiny case, makes a big difference.

Boolit Man
    Highrpm105,

I have that mold. I use wadcutter data for the particular mold due to deep seating required to crimp in the groove. It looks like a wadcutter with a truncated nose. Below are some pictures. One shown beside a 38 special case. Hope this helps.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6325.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	114.1 KB 
ID:	325223Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6323.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	134.4 KB 
ID:	325224

Boolit Grand Master
    I just use the data published in the Lee manual. Weight & cartridge.

Moderator Emeritus

I would think many manuals will have starting loads for 170 gr. SWC boolit. It's all good, just work up a load from the starting load, like any other.
    If you are new to "working up a load." Here is some suggestions.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...nt-Methodology
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 03-30-2024 at 04:16 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I would think many manuals will have starting loads for 170 gr. SWC boolit. It's all good, just work up a load from the starting load, like any other.
    If you are new to "working up a load." Here is some suggestions.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...nt-Methodology
    Great advice Jon!
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks to everyone who replied. I do understand to use 170 data if the proper one was not available , I was mainly looking for someone who used this mold and had experience with it. Too heavy , seating issues and any reason why Lee discontinued this mold, poor sales or poor performance? Again big thanks to all.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe K View Post
    Highrpm105,

I have that mold. I use wadcutter data for the particular mold due to deep seating required to crimp in the groove. It looks like a wadcutter with a truncated nose. Below are some pictures. One shown beside a 38 special case. Hope this helps.

Name:	IMG_6325.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	114.1 KB 
ID:	325223Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6323.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	134.4 KB 
ID:	325224
    And what did you think of it ??

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post

What kind of loads are you looking for ... I am pretty sure I have worked with this Lee mould and have my notes ... used Unique and Red Dot ... glad to check for you .
    Load Safe ,
    Gary
    Thanks for your reply. If you could find it in your notes , that would be fantastic . And if you remember what did you think of it , performance wise ?

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by HIGHRPM015 View Post
    And what did you think of it ??
    It works fine and is accurate out to 25 yards as that is the farthest distance at the pistol range. I’m sure it would work well at farther distances or field use if needed. Attached is another picture with the Lee TL358-148-wc just to show why I use wadcutter data for the particular mold.

Name:	IMG_6339.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	168.5 KB 
ID:	325374

Boolit Mold
    Big thank you for the info and pics , greatly appreciated !

Hi everyone. I need some help with a brand new mold I bought many years ago, but it is old stock and the part number is now on a different mold. It is a Lee 90324 mold , .358 166 grain SWC marketed for .38 Special and .357 Mag. I would like to use it but am at a loss for any possible data. Anyone out there have experiance with this mold ? Any help is greatly appreciated ! Thanks for your time.
    Use the starting load using a 158 grain jacketed bullet. Then start working up in .10 grains at a time. As of right now I am loading 15.7 grains of H110 with the same bullet and getting about 1250 FPS using a standard primer in my Ruger Blackhawk with a 4 3/8 inch barrel. With no pressure signs. I have been using this load with many different .357 magnum guns and a couple of rifles for years. Your mileage will vary.

ACC

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by ACC View Post
    Use the starting load using a 158 grain jacketed bullet. Then start working up in .10 grains at a time. As of right now I am loading 15.7 grains of H110 with the same bullet and getting about 1250 FPS using a standard primer in my Ruger Blackhawk with a 4 3/8 inch barrel. With no pressure signs. I have been using this load with many different .357 magnum guns and a couple of rifles for years. Your mileage will vary.

ACC
    BIG thanks !

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for your reply. If you could find it in your notes , that would be fantastic . And if you remember what did you think of it , performance wise ?
    That bullet (Lee 358-166-SWC) in 38 special case , was most accurate with either 3.0 grains of TiteGroup ...
    or with 3.0 grains of Bullseye @ abot 800 fps . Not a bad boolit , but my mould was a single cavity
    and I discovered Lyman #358432 - 160 gr. WC ! It was the most accurate boolit in all my revolvers and NOE makes a sweet 4 cavity mould .
    The Lee 166 simply lost the accuracy test to the Lyman 358432 and I could get that NOE in a 4 holer ... single cavities are just so slow when you want lots-o-boolits .

Give it an exhaustive test with some of the new powders and discover something I missed !
    Load Safe,
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"