WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: CNC 3 Axis Machine

CNC 3 Axis Machine

Has anyone thought of or has bought a hobbyist level machine to make parts?

The better ones can shape aluminum, brass and steel.

What are your thoughts

Boolit Grand Master

They are good but the cad and cam programs can get expensive to buy. You also want some experience on manual machines before jumping in. What I have thought about in my shop is a DPMS mill with the easy path controller. easy programming right at the screen. easy to "read": can be programmed from a computer 2 1/2 axis. But used these machines are still bringing $11,000.00 or better. and that dosnt include sorting them out after moving them.

The other thing to consider for gun parts and the small parts would be a wire edm.

Keep in mind whether manual cnc or filing knowing how to fixture or hold the work piece is the big part of making the part.

I have used mid-level cost 3D printers at work and I am amazed at their accuracy and repeatability. I have even made prototype parts for guns. Tested for fit and then made the parts cutting and filing from metal to shape. These are simple parts. I have used an acquaintances 3D CNC router for wood working. Again the the accuracy and repeatability is amazing. I have seen some CNC that are for aluminum, brass and low carbon steel. So I am just thinking and dreaming about projects in the future.