Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: log splitters

Boolit Master

log splitters

I've been heating with wood for 40 years. Delivered cut and split, and I do the stacking. I just finished stacking 6 cords. But, I came into some free maple wood from a huge cut-down tree. I cut the logs with a chainsaw and now I have to split the rounds. I've been working away at it, but the idea of a log splitter has some appeal.
    So, I've been looking at the small electric splitters - $300 or so. They seem good and might be enough for me.
    Any ideas on these small electric log splitters?

Boolit Grand Master

Always used hydraulic splitters here. Made a wedge for the big hydraulic press in the first shop so we didnt have to go outside to split. The electrics should be fine and will beat a axe or maul. We cut and split in the woods so electric was an issue. If your close to power it should be fine. One thing where an electric may be better is on the hydraulics, the return strokes is a full power slow return. the electrics may have a low power faster return stroke saving time.

Boolit Master
    I bought one for my brother for his birthday. It's the Super Handy model that was supposed to be awesome. It is junk. Absolute junk. Any knots or twisted timber it's essentially a 9 year old swinging a dull axe. Hopefully there are better models! I split mine with a maul - I probably should actually go to a 12 step program. It's my: fitness coach, therapist, punching dummy all wrapped into one!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

funny this comes up today.
    I've always wanted a small electric wood splitter for when my large gas/hydraulic splitter is in storage. Yerterday, I found one on FB marketplace for $50, it's a 5 ton...but it's a long drive, trying to figure when I can go get it. The seller says it's only good for logs up to 10" But those of use that have split wood will know which logs will split easy and which won't. I have no doubt that a large straight maple log will split with a 5 ton splitter...add some knots, then probably not. That's my educated guess
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I've been splitting with a maul and an axe, and it is good therapy, and good exercise. I don't have alot to do - maybe a few days with the maul, but, the older I get, the more I like toys and power tools. I'll work at it again tomorrow.
    The tree (maple) has been down and cut into logs for over a year (bark still on) and the moisture still measures in the 50s on my little meter. So, I definitely have to split them.

Boolit Grand Master
    My advice is to buy tge best one your Home Depot has try it on the worst rounds you have. If you are not happy with it, it is easy to return.

I have jammed up hydraulic splitters that generate over 15 tons. YMMV
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    I've been splitting with a maul and an axe, and it is good therapy, and good exercise. I don't have alot to do - maybe a few days with the maul, but, the older I get, the more I like toys and power tools. I'll work at it again tomorrow.
    The tree (maple) has been down and cut into logs for over a year (bark still on) and the moisture still measures in the 50s on my little meter. So, I definitely have to split them.
    Something fun I'll do is set aside the hardest rounds to split - I currently have around 100 45ish inch rounds that are truly gnarly. I either leave those for after a bad day at work, or to help entertain guests with the challenge. However, burying my maul, then driving wooden wedges (salvaged from my kindling operation) alongside of the maul. Do that in a few spots and leave them. The wood will split either easily or already be split in about 2 months. It's my take on feathers and wedges used on wood rather than stone.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a 27 ton Home Depot bought log splitter(Hurricane?) any way
    have yet to meet a round, chunk of wood it would not split
    Split mostly oak and some real twisted up chunks to boot
    Just cut down 3 oak tree's yesterday that I need to buck up and split
    I know it's not what you asked but it does give you some perspective

Mine also can be used either vertically or horizontally
    I did burn out a 8 hp motor and put a 13 hp replacement back on it
    but that is after years and years of hard work, no problems, just now like a timex
    Last edited by white eagle; 04-02-2024 at 02:36 PM.
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

From what I gathered from researching electric splitters awhile back anything they were able to split wouldn't be a problem for me to hit with my single-bit axe and split. 27-ton hydraulic for me all the way because most of my wood is rough to split.
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Ok, I have 2 hydro gas engine splitters and one electric; the electric cuts most any diameter up to 18 inches long and is my go to splitter cutting fir, hemlock and maple; it is an animal!

Quote Originally Posted by gc45 View Post
    Ok, I have 2 hydro gas engine splitters and one electric; the electric cuts most any diameter up to 18 inches long and is my go to splitter cutting fir, hemlock and maple; it is an animal!
    What brand and power is it?

Boolit Grand Master
    I was offered my cousin's husband's (she is a widow) electric splitter. Lisa told me that it didn't do big pieces very well, since I had a bunch of elm to split I never did get it.

Earlier this winter I did buy a new 27 ton gas powered unit made by Black Diamond. It was on sale and cheaper than the 37 ton unit. So far it has split everything I have thrown at it and asked for more. Elm that laughs at an ax or maul get split easily.

I bought a brand new one because every used one that I have seen sell for the last few years has went for 3/4 new price and I figured I couldn't come out ahead if I had to replace anything major like the pump or the engine.

On the other hand, if the store you buy from has a decent return policy go ahead and try the electric one; it may be all you need.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    My 12 pound splitting ax always starts and run just fine even in below O weather here in Michigan. Just sayin.

Boolit Grand Master
    One thing about electric splitters, besides low splitting force, is the slow cycle times.
    Don Verna

Banned
    from what ive ever heard, if you are splitting pine 2x4 from the local lumber yard, electrics are fine.

Real trees use hydraulic splitters. Gas operated. They can still split, have a pine tree cut into chunks for splitting, rotting away for 20 years now. Cant split it at all. Had to stop trying when i notice a weld starting to crak

Boolit Master
    I have two electric splitters. A 5 ton and a 7 ton. I don't have hard wood here just pine, spruce and fir. The 5 ton splits everything fine but is slow. The 7 ton has two speeds and splits most stuff on high speed but if it stalls on a knot I just pull the lever farther and it slows down and increases power. I don't have access to any really tough wood so I don't know how they would work on that.

Boolit Master
    For that small amount of Maple you could rent a splitter.
    JW
    HOLLYWOOD Collector Left hawg 405#, right one 315#, had my elderly neighbors granddaughter treed and why I got the call. Both charged, one from 20' and one from 40'. Thanks to the good Lord and Samuel Colt I won. May God bless our Lawmen & Soldiers!

I'd like to see an electric try to tackle a piece of AR Blackjack oak. This stuff is like iron and the grain corkscrews thru the trunk. You can drive a wedge all the way thru the piece and still have to rip it apart with your hands. I've thrown sparks off my saw chain cutting dead dried up limbs off one I felled after it had been standing dead for years.

Attachment 325218

Boolit Master
    battis, from what you write this large maple is a one time thing. maybe renting a gas powered splitter would be a good option.
    my splitter is probably 30 years old, 20 ton, 5hp Blackhawk . hit splits everything I put under the wedge. but with large rounds or real tough hickory, or knotted oaks, els, gum trees it takes a bit of work to split around the edges first. the past few days ive been doing battle with very large red oaks and the splitter wedge is dwarfed by the size of the rounds.good thing red oak splits easy and straight.

Boolit Master
    I have a Tractor Supply 27 ton and it has never met a log it can't split. I get some really nasty wood once in a while that is all knots and corkscrews but if it doesn't split it then it cuts through the bad stuff. If I remember correctly it was under a thousand bucks. BUT, I just got 25 tons of oak and 3 tons of cherry logs. I am still in the process of bucking them to length but then I am on to splitting. At 70 years old the swinging a maul is not in the playbook anymore. But I agree that if this is just a one time deal then rent a gas powered splitter and when you are done it is not taking up space somewhere.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast