MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: Dillon rifle die setup

Boolit Mold

Dillon rifle die setup

Most die manufacturers seem to setup sizing dies by screwing die in until it touches the shellholder, then adding an additional partial turn. RCBS an additional 1/8 to 1/4 turn, Lee an additional 1/4 to 1/3 turn. These manufacturers seem confident that setting will provide a minimum headspace setting.

I have Dillon 223 carbide dies, and the instructions in the box say to screw sizing die in until it touches and back off 1/2 turn. I watched a die setup video by Dillon on youtube, and it said to screw die in until it touches shell plate. I called Dillon today to discuss the discrepancy of the instructions, and they said screw in until it touches, then back off 2 turns. With all three differing instructions, these are just initial settings, to be verified with a headspace gauge, and the final setting is based on the gauge.

Despite the variety of initial settings in Dillon instructions, it appears they don't seem to manufacture their dies with confidence in the headspace being minimum relative to contact with the shellholder like other manufacturers. Is that really what is going on or they just want more careful verification with another $40 tool? If that is the case (pun noted) Dillon dies require an additional outlay for every caliber that other makers don't require.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Punk View Post
    Most die manufacturers seem to setup sizing dies by screwing die in until it touches the shellholder, then adding an additional partial turn. RCBS an additional 1/8 to 1/4 turn, Lee an additional 1/4 to 1/3 turn. These manufacturers seem confident that setting will provide a minimum headspace setting.

I have Dillon 223 carbide dies, and the instructions in the box say to screw sizing die in until it touches and back off 1/2 turn. I watched a die setup video by Dillon on youtube, and it said to screw die in until it touches shell plate. I called Dillon today to discuss the discrepancy of the instructions, and they said screw in until it touches, then back off 2 turns. With all three differing instructions, these are just initial settings, to be verified with a headspace gauge, and the final setting is based on the gauge.

Despite the variety of initial settings in Dillon instructions, it appears they don't seem to manufacture their dies with confidence in the headspace being minimum relative to contact with the shellholder like other manufacturers. Is that really what is going on or they just want more careful verification with another $40 tool? If that is the case (pun noted) Dillon dies require an additional outlay for every caliber that other makers don't require.
    You have it backwards. Touching the shell holder or shell plate produces the maximum amount of shoulder setback not minimum.

Dillon is setting their dies up properly. Most of the others recommend screwing down for the lowest knowledge reloaders. This method produces the maximum sizing so the case will fit in all firearms. This reduces case life and accuracy.

At a minimum, any serious bottle neck reloader should have the ability to accurately measure shoulder setback. The Hornady Case Comparator is one of the more cost-effective methods but unless it's used with an actual headspace gauge it's a comparator only. I much prefer direct reading tools the RCBS precision mic.

https://bulletin.accurateshooter.com...s-accordingly/

https://bulletin.accurateshooter.com...international/

https://kurtthegunsmith.com/everythi...out-headspace/
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 03-29-2024 at 07:51 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    I like the whidden case gauge for helping to set up the sizing die.
    https://www.whiddengunworks.com/product/case-gauge-3/

Or the rifle. Can't get much more accurate, don't even need to own, much less know how to use any measuring tools. As the actual chamber is your go/no go gauge.

Last edited by jmorris; 03-31-2024 at 10:51 PM.

Or if its a semiauto.

If the ammunition is for several rifles of the same caliber, I use case gauges.