Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just had to laugh

Boolit Buddy
    Ditto, Ditto, tell it like it is (was), Mr. Gibson.

stronger coffee !!, Hootmix.

Boolit Mold
    Fort Bragg 1967 basic I was the recruit chosen to fire the M 14 against my crotch. Hold it tight, no big deal. We never did full auto with the 14, even in VN. I found a selector switch for mine, used it when we did a mad minute to scare off the bad guys. The quad 50 did a much better job of that......

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    That is a myth........

With proper training and proper use, the M14 and M14A1 are quite controllable in full auto and sustained semi auto fire. Those lacking in proper training and use of FA will have problems with any FA firearm including the M16.
    Just like the BAR and thomspson submachine gun. Specific stances to use it with best effect. Otherwise you can be shooting head height at the 5th round.

Boolit Master
    That is a myth........

With proper training and proper use, the M14 and M14A1 are quite controllable in full auto and sustained semi auto fire. Those lacking in proper training and use of FA will have problems with any FA firearm including the M16.
    Larry - completely respect your experience. My uncle says the same from his Korean peninsula vacation. I suspect it's because you both had experience with rifles prior to service and knew how to adjust your mindset? What he ALSO says is that your experience is not what the average GI's was. His favourite story was concerning range time with the M14 - "after a mag or 5 the fella would start by firing into the dirt 20 yards from the line and the last 3 MAY be on paper. I have never fired a select fire version, only the neutered. Can't say it was different from firing an M1 until you tried a little rapid fire. I found it quite difficult to manage without significant practice.
    A brake or suppressor would certainly be a benefit for this rifle in my opinion.
    YMMV

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I've only had the pleasure of firing a full auto M-14 once. I've never had proper training on FA. I did fire 300 rounds at 50 yards with an M-14. Three shot bursts were surprisingly controllable. A full mag dump was a handful particularly when compared to an M-60.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

We are back were we were at the Spanish american war. Most of the people and recruits have never fired any firearm or air rifle to know what to expect. Hence the issues with recoil. To many tv and movies with firearms jumping people pushed around when firing. To much misconception. While Shooters dont think recoil is bad from this or that firearm to a newcomer its different

Boolit Bub
    That is a myth........

As a owner/user on an M-14 for decades, Larry is spot on. Regards, JH

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    Many ported 9mm's being sold these days too. A lot of young men in the country seem to have a severe case of vaginitis.

Some of the brakes on AR's might make the guns run a little flatter for the gamer's advantage against a stopwatch, but for any "game" played at night or without earplugs, they are a lot flashier and blastier than the good old A2 birdcage. I'll pass.
    I was reminded of a post asking what brake was recommended for a 9mm Ruger rifle, I posted something to the effect of the bone-crushing recoil of the round and that pretty much killed the whole thing. lol....
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Earl Grady: Shotguns? Were not hunting rabbits down here, Burt.

Burt Gummer: Not shotguns. Double rifles. Elephant guns. Wesley-Richards 480, 375 H&H Mag. Knockdown power up the yin-yang. Treat them well. But hold 'em good 'n tight to your shoulder, or they'll break your collarbone.

"Tremors 2: Aftershocks"

Quote Originally Posted by tunnug View Post
    I was reminded of a post asking what brake was recommended for a 9mm Ruger rifle, I posted something to the effect of the bone-crushing recoil of the round and that pretty much killed the whole thing. lol....
    When I was researching and building my AR15 5"bbl 9mm pistol I kept reading about how harsh the recoil is on them vs 5.56 because they are blowback vs gas operated. People going to great and expensive lengths to tame the harsh recoil. I was wondering what I was going to have to deal with since I knew I was going to plink the heck out of it.

First time I shot it I was done and sitting in the house and realized I had never even paid attention to the recoil because there is little to none to speak of. I can't even compare it to any centerfire rifle or shotgun. 1/8 of a .410 maybe?

I don't think many new shooters have ever shot a single shot shotgun with high brass or a 30-06 or greater.
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thom_44 View Post
    Just like the BAR and thomspson submachine gun. Specific stances to use it with best effect. Otherwise you can be shooting head height at the 5th round.
    .....and just like the BAR, the Thompson, the M3, the M2 Carbine, AK, and every other magazine fed FA rifle they were never intended for a full magazine dump. With proper weapons craft and trigger control the intended 2 -3 round burst is what should be used because it is effective. However, even with full mag dumps in any of those with proper control of the weapon neither the 5th shot nor any of the others should be "over the head". Also, a full mag dump in a for real situation is a very poor method to use.

Additionally, keep in mind even with real belt fed machine guns burst control is essential to effectiveness in infantry application. Have to admit that on occasion I have shot a belt or two (or maybe several) in one burst with an M60, particularly in the late SE Asian war games. That was both from a pedestal and hand held.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	325240
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

For those of you who find the .223 oppressive, I suggest dropping down to a .222 Rem. in a bull barreled Rem 700 BDL using a 45 gr. bullet. I think you might find that recoil manageable. I use mine to swat flies on the target out to 200 yards. I enjoy watching them turn to mist thru my scope. ( I get change back from a dime for 3 shot groups at 100 yards.)

Boolit Buddy
    This one is kinda loaded because it depends on what AR-15 we are talking about, I have learned over the years not all AR-15’s are nice easy recoiling guns I actually had one that had more dam felt recoil then my AKM in 7.62x39 , took me a long time to get the answer to that question.. gas system and bolt velocity, some AR makers way over gas there guns to the point the recoil isn’t Evan from the 5.56 but the bolt and buffer being ramed into the back of the buffer tube to the point it is hurting the threads.. I am also under the understanding that 9mm,45 acp ect AR-15s have some pretty serious recoil if they are not set up correctly, to the point it dose not take them long to pull the buffer tube threads out of the lower receiver..

Now some people run there AR’s over gassed like this for competition to Gain very high round counts between cleanings, some of the pro shooters might get threw a 1000+ rounds at a competition before they clean the rifle..

Boolit Grand Master

My heavy caliber rifles like my 375 H&H's and my 416 Rigby don't have muzzle brakes and likely never will since the noise level is higher than I want to fire without hearing protection. My centerfire prairie dogs all have muzzle brakes to allow for quicker follow-up shots or for self-spotting. They are never fired without hearing protect. I have one spot that only a couple of people a year get to shoot. I've had 1/2 dozen days that were over 1,000 rounds with 75% kill rate at that location.

Both my S&W 41's and High Standard 22 LR have factory bolt on muzzle brakes to reduce muzzle flip. They work as claimed.

This is not bolt on but yes, they used muzzle brakes on 22 SHORT target pistols.

https://www.rockislandauction.com/de...istol-22-short

https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...n_id=102254634
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-01-2024 at 07:29 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    Adding my 2-inexperienced cents on AR recoil. I built one (my only so far) a couple of years ago as my first rifle. Carbon fiber lower and an inexpensive upper in 5.56, so lightweight and over-gassed. Shoulder was moderately bruised after the first range session of ~150 rounds, but more concerning was the persistent jamming from the excessive gas and apparently a bad extractor/spring. The recoil I could deal with. One of the remedies I found was to install a heavier buffer, the idea being to slow down the action and allow the case more time to contract before attempted extraction. Works great now, but with the heavier buffer I noticed a significant drop in felt recoil.
    More recently, I took my wife to the range on a date, and the AR was her first experience with a rifle. She made a couple of 10-round groups she was happy with, and no trouble with recoil or control. Interestingly, she passed on trying my (our) M91 Carcano carbine, but I shot both rifles in close time-proximity, and the Carcano had even less noticeable felt recoil than the AR. Go figure...

Boolit Master
    brother took some guns to a WW1 memorial shoot back at the 2014 centennary .......for sure none of the 18 year olds wanted to fire a second shot from a Berthier ,Mannlicher,SMLE ,or Gew 98.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudenboomer View Post
    Kinda like O'l joe saying 9mm blows lungs completely out of the body!
    Ya mean it doesn’t? Lol ya know if you could forget what the idiot has done to the country (yea right like I could forget that) it would be great entertainment to keep him around! Every time he opens his trap and spews forth some more verbal diarrhea, I laugh my but off! His Whole administration is like some Benny Hill routine!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Buddy
    Brakes on already low recoiling guns are great, there's a big difference between recoil being light enough it is barely noticeable on the shoulder, and recoiling being so light the gun practically does not move and you stay on target through magnification and can watch your hits through the scope.

Boolit Master
    We used full auto M14s as back up door guns on UH-1 gunships.They are quite controllable.We even made some high capacity magazines from modified magazines.We also used duplex ball ammo in them.

Boolit Master
    The noise from brakes has just about caused the closure of the local range ...........they wont ban brakes (say they cant) so they are down to 308 as the max caliber usable there to stay within the noise limits ............and yes ,the residents for gun bans /close the range lobby do have 24/7 noise monitoring for evidence to close the range.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12