Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Canned food shelf life ???

Boolit Master
    My wife is pretty tough on throwing out food stuffs due to safety.

As I am way past my "Best Buy Date" it makes me a little nervous when she gets to tossing stuff ....... as to when my "pull date" might be ....

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

USMC 77, USRA 79

We invested in a freeze dryer and it has changed everything. We still use jars and canning lids to vacuume seal our many of our freeze dried foods in, as well as Mylar bags, and regular vacuume sealed bags… freeze dryer means we seal stuff that will still have nearly the same nutrient levels for decades…

Here is an example of my breakfast bags for hunting… a bit of hot water, and walla, venison sausage, scrambled eggs, potato’s, onions and mushrooms really to roll..

Here is another video of us canning some freeze dried shrimp… very quick and easy to making Chinese and soups and who knows what…

I made this video for a buddy in Scotland named Camz, but it is how I do it..

Marko
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by timboslice View Post
    This will NOT destroy botulism but will destroy the spores and make it safe to eat.
    You have that backwards. Boiling destroys the botulism toxins produced when the bacteria reproduce in the canned food. This species of bacteria form spores when exposed to unfavorable conditions that aren't killed by normal boiling temperatures. Staphlotoxins however cannot be inactivated with heat, but they generally aren't fatal. As my instructor in lab school noted staphylococcus toxins won't kill you, they just make you wish you where dead! If you learn a little microbiology you'll see most stuff that will kill you, cannot reproduce in a salty acidic environment. That don't mean there aren't others that will spoil canned foods, but heating and sealing keeps those at bay.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    You have that backwards. Boiling destroys the botulism toxins produced when the bacteria reproduce in the canned food. This species of bacteria form spores when exposed to unfavorable conditions that aren't killed by normal boiling temperatures. Staphlotoxins however cannot be inactivated with heat, but they generally aren't fatal. As my instructor in lab school noted staphylococcus toxins won't kill you, they just make you wish you where dead! If you learn a little microbiology you'll see most stuff that will kill you, cannot reproduce in a salty acidic environment. That don't mean there aren't others that will spoil canned foods, but heating and sealing keeps those at bay.
    I don't want to start a war here but I can attest that staph toxins will kill you. I had a staph infection in my cervical spine and I died on the operation table as they were trying to get it all out. Obviously that got me back but I spent a month and a half in the hospital getting VERY expensive injections every 4 hours. The doc told me what happened after I woke up and also told me I was not out of the woods yet. They did not know for sure if I would survive. If I made it to the two week point they would consider me somewhat out of danger. So 1 1/2 months in the hospital and another 3 months at home giving myself injections through a pic line. So yes Staphylococcus CAN kill you. That was in 2012 and I never fully recovered all my strength.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Brassmonkey View Post
    Supposedly, you can store raw unwashed eggs in a lime bath for years.
    Not to many years. We did a 5 gallon pail full and started using them after about a year. Ended up giving them to my gf's oldest daughter and her kids. She said there were maybe two or so eggs that weren't good. We had a similar experience. Only advice when cooking them is to Crack the egg in one container then switch that to whatever you are cooking with. Sucks having broken half a dozen eggs for scrambled eggs (sunny side didn't work for us with those) and have the next egg be bad and ruin the whole batch.
    Would love to freeze dry but seems very expensive and there are only the two of us so..

Ron

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickf1985 View Post
    I don't want to start a war here but I can attest that staph toxins will kill you. I had a staph infection in my cervical spine and I died on the operation table as they were trying to get it all out. Obviously that got me back but I spent a month and a half in the hospital getting VERY expensive injections every 4 hours. The doc told me what happened after I woke up and also told me I was not out of the woods yet. They did not know for sure if I would survive. If I made it to the two week point they would consider me somewhat out of danger. So 1 1/2 months in the hospital and another 3 months at home giving myself injections through a pic line. So yes Staphylococcus CAN kill you. That was in 2012 and I never fully recovered all my strength.
    O my!

I never mentioned a staphylococcus INFECTION! Staphylococcus species are "normal flora" under fingernails and skin. Some staphylococcus species release external toxins as they grow. These toxins in food "BBQ" being one of the most commonly infected foods, but any food that comes into contact with infected hands and kept warm, is suspect to cause " food poisoning". Staphylococcus toxins are the most common cause of food poisoning.

BTW, the organism that causes botulism poisoning are normal flora in your gut!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    My wife is pretty tough on throwing out food stuffs due to safety.

As I am way past my "Best Buy Date" it makes me a little nervous when she gets to tossing stuff ....... as to when my "pull date" might be ....

Three44s
    Get a mirror and check your butt for an expiration date ...
    If there is none ... You Good
    Keep On Keeping On
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234