Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SMith and Wesson age and parts

Boolit Mold
    S&W barrels would have to be set back the distance of one full turn ............about .028" minus just enough for fitting an appropriate crush. Removing .005" from the shoulder would mean the entire barrel would not be aligned properly.

Boolit Grand Master
    Whoops, typo. >.028 is correct. On the newer guns, .026-.027 is better to allow for a crush fit when reinstalling, since they have no pin. The last one I did needed the barrel/cylinder gap reduced .005 to be back to .006 after the end shake had been removed and I guess that stuck in my head. (B/C was ~.011, should optimally be .003-.006, but .009 is still acceptable, so they say.)
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom_44 View Post
    The only smith and wesson they had was a 9mm semi auto, i do dont do semi autos because with my no line bifocals, the amount of movement makes it look like a baseball bat is coming at my face everytime the slide moves. Someone mentioned it looked sort of like a drunk cat walking around a rocking chair, the way i react to the slide movement.

Yes the Taurus is based on an elderly SW design.. however I never made any statement of wanting to buy one. Merely just wanted to do some 38 special shooting at a place i had never heard of before. Looked at my reciept and noted that the cost of renting the gun was turned into a 5$ coupon off the purchase price of a gun.

But that does point back to the main question, age and parts. I dont have any idea as to how to figure out if the frame on a 1968 built K frame is worn out or not.
    The Taurus isn’t an “elderly” S&W design. It is similar but distinctly different, especially the coil mainspring. IMO, the leaf mainspring of the S&W is the key to its smooth, even DA trigger (at least the potential for.)

Check the sticky at the top of the forum by Outpost75 titled “revolver inspection 101”. It’s got everything you need to know (and more) about inspecting used DA revolvers.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtarm View Post
    The Taurus isn’t an “elderly” S&W design. It is similar but distinctly different, especially the coil mainspring. IMO, the leaf mainspring of the S&W is the key to its smooth, even DA trigger (at least the potential for.)

Check the sticky at the top of the forum by Outpost75 titled “revolver inspection 101”. It’s got everything you need to know (and more) about inspecting used DA revolvers.
    The Taurus is similar to a Ruger in that it is all coil spring and uses a transfer bar. But it has the sideplate and general architecture of a Smith.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12