Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: Smith and Wesson grip question

Banned

Smith and Wesson grip question

I have a hankering for a smith and wesson revolver in 38 special or 357 magnum. My needs are not much really.

I have my 629 5" and I really enjoy it. Yes, I prefer it with mild/moderate handloads with a 240 swc.

I would like to keep the grip size and trigger pull as close to the 629 as is possible.

Is that even possible?

The 629 is an "N" frame, and since you're looking for similarity in a .38/.357 you might consider a model 27 or 28.

DG

if you say, or post a photo about, which grips are on your 629, and which .38/.357 S&W you talk about, or a photo about (I mean which frame= J,K,L,N ?), for sure someone will answer at his best_
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Banned
    My 629 is 2 years old now, and I have been enjoying the factory plasticy-rubber stuff just fine. I have NOT gotten aftermarket grips yet because I want to master 50 yard shooting with it first. That is not as easy as it sounds in gun magazines.

I have seen the photos of the Tyler T grip adapters to enhance the grip size of j frames. And so i was wondering if it can be possible to find grips for a K or even L frame that will make it similar in size to the factory grips on my 629.

I have thought of used 27's, but they cost as much or more then a factory new one. And the model 28's are not a bad idea. have seen some going for under 800$. Even a rather horribly nickel plated one.

easy that 629 plastic/rubber grips are by Hogue (on mine) or Pachmayrs, if aftermarket_
    quite common to find their production items for K/L frames (and for all J and N S&Ws ), at what I've seen_
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Master
    As an instructor,, I tell people to find a gun & grips that fit THEIR hands. It it has the "Feels good & comfortable" it'll be a pretty good fit when shooting.

As noted above,, the 629 is an "N" frame,, so another S&W "N" frame,, such as the M27 or M28 would be ideal to get you close. That has already been noted above. Good advice.

But trying to change the grips around looking for the "magic" grip that makes you a 50 yd shooter is not the correct way to achieve that goal.

I tell people to start shooting at 10 yds if unfamiliar with a gun or are new to handgunning. If the gun & ammo & all are good,, and they are very comfortable shooting that.. work on PROPER handgunning techniques. Work HARD at becoming very accurate at 10 yds ( One ragged hole groups,) then move to a longer distance,, say 15 yds. If they get good at 15 yds,, then move to 20 yds. Slowly increasing the distance will allow you to become more proficient at handgunning at longer ranges. As the distance increases,, the target appears smaller,, and the necessity of proper gripping methods, sight alignment, trigger control and follow-through become more & more important.

Another thing to consider.

Quite often,, ammo may be very good at 10 yds,, but at 50 yds,, it may be horrible! At 100 yds,, it may look like a drunk shotgun! The balancing of GOOD ammo to the gun is a serious factor for handgunners.

I own a few S&W's,, including a M27, a M28, and a M29. All are very good guns,, and are accurate at 100 yds if (a) I do my part, and (b) the ammo is tested & proven in that gun.

As an instructor,, one of the biggest problems I see people having is the proper techniques of handgunning. Stance, grip, sight alignment, trigger control, and follow-through.

Again,, grip choices need to be a personal choice, and must fit the shooter. As I teach; "Fit & Comfort"! then the work begins.

Boolit Buddy
    If you would consider a more modern stainless S&W, the 627 Pro Series makes a great range gun It's an 8 shot stainless N frame so would have the same grip profile and trigger pull you are used to in your 629. But you get 8 shots of 357, or even better shoot 38 Specials and it's a sweetheart.
    S&W has had this model on the market for probably more than 15 years so there is a chance of finding a used one out there if you don't want to buy new.
    https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/n-frame-178014
    I've recommended this model to a couple friends who've been quite happy with them.

Banned
    can only find a few model 28s come in under current factory price. Same for model 27s.

And most of the used 627s are priced HIGHER then current factory price for a basic gun.

The taurus i tried at the range this morning DID seem to fit the hand better after 3/4 cylinders went through it.

Boolit Master
    Pachmayr Presentation grips come in a large size for the K frames, might try those.

Boolit Master

Your modern N-frame will be a round-butt style grip frame. They often sell them with grips that match the old square-butt silhouette and feel, but the actual backstrap has a pronounced forward curve to it at the bottom.

A vintage 27, 28, 29 or pre-model number N-frame will be a square butt, so ability to match the feel will depend on what grips you have on the 629.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

For a .38 special, I would highly recommend a model 14 k38 masterpiece. It is a k frame so it will be lighter and smaller than the N frame but grips are easily changed if needed. Never heard of a k38 that didn't shoot like it had eyes.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.