Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Terrible 44 mag rifle groups

Banner Sponsor

Are you using open sights or a scope?
    If a scope, make sure the base screws are clean and loktited in place.

Boolit Buddy
    Just to cover a few, I slugged the bbl, .431 dia. I am using .432 and .433 dia cast bullets. I am loading the bullet out to almost touch. It is not a long throat. Have not measured dia of throat, but the .433 bullets slide in with just a little pressure, don't just drop in like the .432 bullets do. there are no tight spots in the bbl. The trigger is about 2 lbs, one of the bright spots about the rifle. I did have trouble with the screws coming loose on the base, locktighted them. Thats all I can think of right now. Wallacem

Quote Originally Posted by wallacem View Post
    Just to cover a few, I slugged the bbl, .431 dia. I am using .432 and .433 dia cast bullets. I am loading the bullet out to almost touch. It is not a long throat. Have not measured dia of throat, but the .433 bullets slide in with just a little pressure, don't just drop in like the .432 bullets do. there are no tight spots in the bbl. The trigger is about 2 lbs, one of the bright spots about the rifle. I did have trouble with the screws coming loose on the base, locktighted them. Thats all I can think of right now. Wallacem
    CVA's recommendation to several people is to try the Hornady 300gr XTP in these. They did replace someone's rifle in one of the threads I read and it came back grouping well.
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Vendor Sponsor

Your .433" being snug enough to feel the difference when loading tells me that one fits the throat nicely.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Quote Originally Posted by wallacem View Post
    Based on that, you shouldn't be experiencing groups like you are. You mentioned base screws coming loose. That usually means the base and receiver aren't mating well. I'd think about bedding the base and receiver with JB weld or a similar epoxy. Also, I presume you're using a scope since you mentioned base screws. Do a scope swap and see how it shoots.

You can shoot cast bullets just to shoot, like throwing rocks. If you want to shoot for accuracy, then there are steps you need to follow. Not one mention of the steps in your original posts. Basically you are throwing rocks and nothing more.
    You want accuracy with a 44 Mag do the steps.
    1) You clean the bore to bright steel, remove ing all copper residue.
    2) You slug the bore to get the exact groove diameter.
    3) You prepare your brass completely, sort and trim the brass.
    4) You reload with a bullet sized to groove or no more than .001 over.
    5) You use a bullet weight that keeps the bullet base in the case when it fully engages the lands.
    6) You use a taper crimp to just straighten the case mouth on a single shot.
    7) You seat as a seperate step, ignore the revolver OAL, seat for that rifle.
    8) You switch primers to LR.
    9) You change to the Standard Silhouette load of 23gr 296/110 and a 240 grain cast SWC, that is a 1" load at 100 meters in a revolver, which means if it will not shoot in a rifle, well, bud, you have more problems than the bore, grooves, and loads..

I had a new TC one time that had a for crap bore, chattered grooves and lands, both. I fire lapped it, intentionally, from .308 to a .312. Cast bullets made up to size and won over a dozen marches with it, so cast and custom bore sizes go together.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12