Snyders JerkyRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I able to legally take a revolver to California while I go on a pack trip?

I think I would stay the hades away from California, let alone take a gun there.
    It may all work out fine, probably will, but then again it may not.

I almost moved out there in 1973 or 1974 but luckily the California girl from college that I was traveling with and I broke up halfway across Canada. I spent the summer in Seattle. Nice place but I returned home to NC. Dodged a couple bullets there. The left coast is pretty but I like my guns more.
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 03-29-2024 at 09:46 PM.

Boolit Master
    I'm with scattershot on this, but be aware California is scared to death of concealed carry. As to using firearms on Forest Service and BLM land, I have done it all my life and asked no man's permission to target shoot -- or hunt, in season.

Boolit Master
    There is no worse place to get legal and medical advice than on the internet. How many of the people who responded are lawyers and and how many think they are? Call CA and speak to someone who actually knows the answer.

Boolit Master
    Wyoming, Montana, Idaho ? Lions, wolves and bears, even grizz but you can CHOOT EM! if they're chewing on you.

Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    There is no worse place to get legal and medical advice than on the internet. How many of the people who responded are lawyers and and how many think they are? Call CA and speak to someone who actually knows the answer.
    totally agree, but get response in writing on an official letter head -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by schutzen-jager View Post
    get a response to your question in writing from the CA. attorney generals office
    If you asked this question verbatim: "Am I able to legally take a revolver to California while I go on a pack trip?", not only would you not likely receive a response but in the off chance you did it would not likely provide you with an answer you could make practical use of.

Boolit Grand Master
    Sad to say, but I wouldn't give Ca. a dime in tourist trade. Go to some place in America instead.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed K View Post
    If you asked this question verbatim: "Am I able to legally take a revolver to California while I go on a pack trip?", not only would you not likely receive a response but in the off chance you did it would not likely provide you with an answer you could make practical use of.
    Exactly, without specific details as to the area(s) to be traversed, what buildings, if any are to be entered. Nobody can give a definitive answer. And I would point out that local governments can enact laws that differ from the state laws (they can be more strict, but not less, generally speaking.) For example, the basic speed law was that the speed limit was 65 miles an hour, "except where local conditions may require lower limits." Additionally, while you can legally bring a revolver, you generally can not carry it in any municipality without a permit. And there is no provision for issuance to out-of-state residents.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

fwiw - state + local laws can not legally conflict with each other !
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

as they say in latin

Why not contact the California Rifle and Pistol Association and ask them? 271 E. Imperial Highway, Suite 620, Fullerton, CA 92835, (714) 992-2772. They are the organization that fights all of the anti-gun legislation proposed in California and are up-to-date on all the laws.

I'll say that you should refine the question down to a specific gun, such as , "My S&W Model 629 .44 Magnum". California has a list of handguns that are prohibited from import and/or sale in the State; or actually, a list of handguns that are approved, and anything on the list is not allowed to be brought in. I've been away from the gun show scene for about 10 years, but when I was last attending the California Dept. of Justice had agents who attended Oregon gun shows observing what was purchased by people with California license plates, and then following them back to California, making a traffic stop, and arresting the occupants for possession of anything not allowed to be imported into the State. Current law is such that if you move to California and bring in any guns not on the approved list you must surrender them to law enforcement for destruction. You can't even sell them to an FFL Dealer, as he isn't allowed to have them either.

It isn't much better here in Oregon either. My understanding of current Oregon law is that, were you to visit, I can not loan you a rifle or shotgun to go hunting with. We must visit a dealer and complete a Form 4473, and do the same again when you return the long gun. It is debatable whether or not I can temporarily transfer a handgun to you for hunting purposes, as being a out-of-state resident you can not buy one here and take possession of it. You can buy one, but it will be shipped to an FFL Dealer in your home state, who must then transfer the firearm to you. So, technically, he sells the handgun to you, not the Oregon dealer.

Have our Rights been infringed upon? Probably not over yet.

DG

Boolit Buddy
    I already determined that I would not do that. That question would be a conversation in much greater depth if I had decided to pursue it. That question was posed here to generate discussion, and that was achieved. Thanks again to all.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Why not contact the California Rifle and Pistol Association and ask them? 271 E. Imperial Highway, Suite 620, Fullerton, CA 92835, (714) 992-2772. They are the organization that fights all of the anti-gun legislation proposed in California and are up-to-date on all the laws.

I'll say that you should refine the question down to a specific gun, such as , "My S&W Model 629 .44 Magnum". California has a list of handguns that are prohibited from import and/or sale in the State; or actually, a list of handguns that are approved, and anything on the list is not allowed to be brought in. I've been away from the gun show scene for about 10 years, but when I was last attending the California Dept. of Justice had agents who attended Oregon gun shows observing what was purchased by people with California license plates, and then following them back to California, making a traffic stop, and arresting the occupants for possession of anything not allowed to be imported into the State. Current law is such that if you move to California and bring in any guns not on the approved list you must surrender them to law enforcement for destruction. You can't even sell them to an FFL Dealer, as he isn't allowed to have them either.

It isn't much better here in Oregon either. My understanding of current Oregon law is that, were you to visit, I can not loan you a rifle or shotgun to go hunting with. We must visit a dealer and complete a Form 4473, and do the same again when you return the long gun. It is debatable whether or not I can temporarily transfer a handgun to you for hunting purposes, as being a out-of-state resident you can not buy one here and take possession of it. You can buy one, but it will be shipped to an FFL Dealer in your home state, who must then transfer the firearm to you. So, technically, he sells the handgun to you, not the Oregon dealer.

Have our Rights been infringed upon? Probably not over yet.

DG
    ''California has a list of handguns that are prohibited from import and/or sale in the State; or actually, a list of handguns that are approved, and anything on the list is not allowed to be brought in''
    There is an approved handgun roster for california that applies to current california residents. If you are moving into california from another state the roster does not apply. Once the handgun is registered in california, it may be sold to other california residents. It is referred to as an off roster person to person (PTP) sale.

Thanks for your input.

DG

Boolit Master
    Personally, I'd ask for forgiveness instead of permission. But in Oklahoma we view things a little differently... Including our views on visiting known hostile states....
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Master
    I Googled it so I know it's right.

Bear spray is legal in CA.

Get the big one with red paint in it.
    It's nasty.

must be true because you read it on the internet !!! -

as they say in latin

Boolit Master
    Google has a lot of links to Cali laws, lots and lots of CA law.
    I am rightly curious about the politics of carrying bear spray.
    Or reasonably using it on people reasonably.
    Phooey on tear gas pens, I mean the Alaskan version that I trained on and carry. IF if.
    O my, if... Never heard of an Alaskan getting painted red, but it must have happened.
    That stuff doesn't wash off!

If if if it was not reasonable, use would be assault,
    AZ prosecutes quickly and as Trump noticed
    a DA can indict a ham sandwich.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    This advice is worth exactly what you pay for it, but my understanding is that many of the rural counties are decidedly pro gun and you pretty much have to be committing a separate felony crime or doing something really flagrant i.e. bring in a machine gun to get jammed up. I read on Calguns that the AWB is simply not enforced in alot of places, at least on the city and county level. If you're staying in one county, a call to the sheriff's office should give you the straight scoop.

Me personally, I would carry a heavy and strong walking staff and big can of bear spray. If it is legal to carry a large hunting knife outside the city I would carry that too. A pump shotgun with buck or slug might be legally safe when not in town, Ida know.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by .429&H110 View Post
    Google has a lot of links to Cali laws, lots and lots of CA law.
    I am rightly curious about the politics of carrying bear spray.
    Or reasonably using it on people reasonably.
    Phooey on tear gas pens, I mean the Alaskan version that I trained on and carry. IF if.
    O my, if... Never heard of an Alaskan getting painted red, but it must have happened.
    That stuff doesn't wash off!

If if if it was not reasonable, use would be assault,
    AZ prosecutes quickly and as Trump noticed
    a DA can indict a ham sandwich.
    fwiw - the laws can change faster than they get posted on Google or any other search engine - Google is extremely left leaning + has no legal responsibility toward anything they post in error - like previously stated get info + answers in writing only direct from the State Attorney Generals Office, + that can change rapidly -

as they say in latin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast