RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I able to legally take a revolver to California while I go on a pack trip?

Boolit Buddy

Am I able to legally take a revolver to California while I go on a pack trip?

Family friend invited me and suggested I bring something because there are known to be sightings of mountain lions where we would be. I started looking at the CA regs and I'm thinking heck no. I think the 44 would stay on the horse or in my tent. Know way would I be carrying it. Just looking g for some clarification ig anyone has experience with this sort of thing. I'm traveling from PA.

get a response to your question in writing from the CA. attorney generals office
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Grand Master
    It is a hodge-podge, without knowing exactly where you are going, nobody, not even the Attorney General can give a specific answer. While it is legal in some areas, in the main on BLM land. It is not legal to carry a firearm except in pursuit of game in most national and state forests. For a paltry $204.96 you can purchase a hunting license. However, Some places (state parks) completely outlaw civilian carry unless you have a CCW permit. Which you can't get unless you live there. Bear Spray, and a hatchet are OK in wilderness areas.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

Kinda depends on how you plan to travel - One set of issues for flying - Anther set of issues for driving - Another set of issues once you cross the CA line. I wouldn't do it - I don't like gambling with my freedoms and good name at this point.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Buddy
    I agree with not doing it. Once I spent some time on the ca firearm website I just threw my hands up.

rintinglen, fwiw - the CA. state attorney general has knowledge of + complete authority over all state + municipal laws, including state owned land + parks !
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

as they say in latin

Vendor Sponsor

How about you invite your family friend to a gun friendly state, NC or VA for instance, to hike the Appalachian Trail or parts of Skyline Drive (Blue Ridge Parkway) it is a national park, but:

As of February 22, 2010, federal law allows people who can legally possess firearms under applicable federal, state, and local laws, to legally possess firearms in this park.

We have mountain lions and black bears. Book a weekend at Fiddler's Roost cabins and hike all you want.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

Even though I can see 50 miles into California from my house All the above is exactly why I don't go into California.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

I wouldn't even if I got the okay.

Quote Originally Posted by chutestrate View Post
    Family friend invited me and suggested I bring something because there are known to be sightings of mountain lions where we would be. I started looking at the CA regs and I'm thinking heck no. .

I would suggest trying to use the EASY button, and ask your friend to temporarily lend one of his to you for the day.

A temporary loan might even be legal there.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    In CA they'd cheer for the cat to eat you as in AK mama bears are not shot.
    There are a lot of different priced bear sprays $100 for sure.
    Get two or three, shoot off one for fun, outdoors, upwind,
    I was trained up on the giant economy size, practice makes perfect.
    The expensive ones look like a small fire extinguisher, and will hose down a bear.
    A cat would not stick around past the sound of it.
    You should worry about what is behind your target, but with bear spray, pull the trigger.
    Please don't squirt the horse...

A few years ago I flew to Ca and needed to drive a uhaul back to Texas. I declared a handgun at the airport and when we landed I thought it went first class while I rode coach. But I didn’t have any issues.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Moderator Emeritus

A mountain lion killed one brother and wounded another who were shed hunting in CA. The article reminds people that hunting Cougars is illegal in Ca, presumably even if it is chewing on you. Second point is that if it isn't being carried, it would not be accessible in time.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    How about you invite your family friend to a gun friendly state, NC or VA for instance, to hike the Appalachian Trail or parts of Skyline Drive (Blue Ridge Parkway) it is a national park, but:

As of February 22, 2010, federal law allows people who can legally possess firearms under applicable federal, state, and local laws, to legally possess firearms in this park.

We have mountain lions and black bears. Book a weekend at Fiddler's Roost cabins and hike all you want.
    +1 for going somewhere friendly

Boolit Grand Master

Probably Not ... unless you are an Illegal Alien ... that makes a big difference in what you can / can't do in CA. !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    I am currently reviewing CA gun laws for the past 2 years to bring me up to date.
    As far as I understand its ok to bring in a firearm unless it is a REGISTERED ASAULT WEAPON as defined by CA law.
    You may not cross the CA border with ammo, as it is illegal to import into the state without going through a FFL, see below. You would have to buy ammo here, but would then need CA id and a background check and pay a fee to purchase through a FFL/gun shop. You can buy ammo at a gun range, but must consume it all there.
    If you want upto date info go to calguns.net and ask there.
    Using firearms for protection out in the wilds, is pretty much a no no, and that is why I don't venture out there.

UPDATE, it appears that non california residents may bring ammunition with them into california, they just can not buy it here unless at a range where it must be consumed.
    Last edited by Bird; 03-28-2024 at 08:00 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by schutzen-jager View Post
    rintinglen, fwiw - the CA. state attorney general has knowledge of + complete authority over all state + municipal laws, including state owned land + parks !
    Don't you believe it. He may have authority, but the laws are so specific and in many cases contradictory, with state laws allowing local governments to make laws more stringent than the state you can easily find yourself in, out and in trouble in an area less than 5 miles. I lived there from 1973 until 2020, and saw scores of changes, over the decades, always more restrictive. I was very glad to see the last of it in the rear mirror when I retired.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

local + state laws can not legally conflict with one another -
    Last edited by schutzen-jager; 03-29-2024 at 02:12 PM.

as they say in latin

Boolit Grand Master
    seems to me like the only thing you need to fear in CA is the politicians
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

I’d take whatever I wanted to, and just keep my mouth shut. Thar’s just me, though.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast