Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: Annealing question

Boolit Buddy

Annealing question

I am new to reloading the 32.20. Do I need to anneal my new brass (neck area)? I also bought some once-shot brass, should it be annealed? Just wondering cause i have been reading that the 32.20 necks can be kind of thin.
    I think I'll try using pure black powder since that's where my heart lays. I've shot a lot of flintlocks, so I have the powder. However, I have never shot BP in a brass case before so I've also had to do some learning in that area.
    Any advise there would be helpful too. Thanks.

Boolit Grand Master

starline recommends annealing their brass for black powder loads. I anneal my brass every other loading this is 44-40, 38-55,40-65,45-70, and 45-90. Annealing will help the case necks to seal better. You will also get better more consistant neck tension.

You will need to watch belling and crimp on the 32-20. Pay attention to details and you wont have any problems.

Boolit Buddy
    How far down the case do I need to annealing? And can I annealing them by dipping them in my lead pot while I cast my bullets? Or just use a candle?

Boolit Grand Master

I anneal the neck portion and just below it. You can do it in a lead pot but you wont have time to cast bullets while doing it. A candle is slow a propane torch does good. use a socket and extension to hold them or stand them up in a pan of water. The lead pot has the advantage of better controlled heat.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    a propane torch does good. use a socket and extension to hold them
    This. Find the right sized deep well socket to where the case is sticking half way out and chuck in in a drill. Get the drill extension at harbor freight for a few dollars. Turn down the lights a little and hold the pinpoint flame in the middle of the neck while slowly spinning. Then count till you see the case just starting to turn color with a slight yellow flame around it. Then flick it into a tray full of water. For my torch it only takes 5 seconds for most cases. But once you come up with the correct distance from the flame and time keep it consistent.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys. I just waited a long time to get this new brass, and being expensive to boot, I sure don't want to ruin any more brass than I have to just during the learning curve.