Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: 410 Buckshot loads?

410 Buckshot loads?

Ugh, math again.
    I have ( had before the terrible boating accident) a TC Super 14 w/ 410/45 Colt barrel.
    Hornady lists 410 load data, on their reloading website, using 3-0.375” lead balls, and WAA410HS wads. That ball size doesn’t seem to be a nominal buckshot size.
    So I measured my TC supplied choke at 0.378”, inner land to land. Hmmm. I also measured the petals of the wad at an average of the 3 petals at 0.016”. Double Hmm.

Will those wads and ball fit my TC?
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Half Dog View Post
    Ugh, math again.
    I have ( had before the terrible boating accident) a TC Super 14 w/ 410/45 Colt barrel.
    Hornady lists 410 load data, on their reloading website, using 3-0.375” lead balls, and WAA410HS wads. That ball size doesn’t seem to be a nominal buckshot size.
    So I measured my TC supplied choke at 0.378”, inner land to land. Hmmm. I also measured the petals of the wad at an average of the 3 petals at 0.016”. Double Hmm.

Will those wads and ball fit my TC?
    Not with a Wad!!! Mine will do .360, easily...in the wad...
    Note; I do Not check the choke...But...can tell you from experience that shooting a Cast Boolit Thru the TC choke...Once, dont Wreck it... Makes for a very interesting looking recovered boolit tho!!!!! Want a Picture???

I’m still trying to put together a load. Could you share the pictures?
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master

Love ta see that one too!

The 45/410 guns offer a twist to just a 410 Shotgun.

I like ta remind folks that most 410's are fixed, full choked. Most run about .390 ish. I have never made buck shot with a shot cup but could be interesting... I use a .390/.395 ball when a choked Barrel and in a few of my cyl bore bbls up to .410 pistol bullets! But always remember its a caliber not a gauge and its .410!

With a 44/410 you have a .45 RIFLED bore. Another twist is a screw in choke... Could be bad ta shoot full 454 balls thru a choke like you measure. But no choke, might get some accuracy. But again not with a shot cup. With ol school cushion wadding.

I have used all kinds of diameters and my best accuracy is 2-3 .390-.395 balls over a stump powder wad and cushion between balls over stiff chg of lil gun. 25 yard patters are softball size and land with authority substantially exceeding factory offerings.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    HalfDog, and cwlongshot; I will get a Photo...very interesting...and amazing that it did Not seem to Hurt anything..OTW
    cw, on the Cup...I kinda felt that the wad/cup would kinda protect from lead...as I don't use lube on any shotshel projectiles...but...I am Not a Shotgun "person"...just experimenting.
    Slug run thru Contender Choke...Bad Idea!!!!
    .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	325151
    Last edited by racepres; 03-28-2024 at 10:07 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Not sure if this helps but.
    When I had one we would take the shot out of a 3 inch shell and drop in five .350 día lead balls.
    At 2 or 3 yards all the balls would hit in a 12 inch circle, any farther out the pattern opened up too much to be reliable for much of anything.
    They are an interesting gun but I never found much use for mine.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Daver7 View Post
    Not sure if this helps but.
    When I had one we would take the shot out of a 3 inch shell and drop in five .350 día lead balls.
    At 2 or 3 yards all the balls would hit in a 12 inch circle, any farther out the pattern opened up too much to be reliable for much of anything.
    They are an interesting gun but I never found much use for mine.
    2 or 3 Yards!!!! Yup, not very useful!!!!

Boolit Mold
    For 410 buckshot loads, I loaded three pellets of 000 buck inside a waa410hs wad for my kid to shoot out of his NEF single shot. It was a low recoil, fun range load and nothing more.