RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: 265gr 45colt load info needed

Boolit Buddy

265gr 45colt load info needed

My son lost my old 45colt mould so i bought a new one but the new one is 265grn rather than the old one that was 255 so im looking for some loads people have used in this weight. They will mostly be shot out of a Blackhawk and a 92 levergun so heavy loads are fine but some light ones would be good also for my new model Vaquero. I have a healthy supply of Unique,2400 and Bullseye on hand so those are the powders im looking to stick with. Thanks in advance for any info.

Vendor Sponsor

This can be a hard article to find at times...

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...=1#post5018589
    Last edited by DougGuy; 03-27-2024 at 04:39 AM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post

Thank you DougGuy, for posting this! I'm just starting to load for the revolver you did a marvelous honing job on!
    geo

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post

Thanks alot,i searched quite a bit and was not finding anything much that had my needed info.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by olereb View Post
    Thanks alot,i searched quite a bit and was not finding anything much that had my needed info.
    You're quite welcome! Note also that all those loads are listed with the same boolit, the 280 RCBS 45-270-SAA cast.

The 280 figure that is listed in the tables I assume that's the actual weight of the boolit in these tests and the 270 is the mold number, although RCBS says the mold produces 270 grain boolits, which seems logical, but it doesn't specify what alloy RCBS tested the mold with. If I had to assume, I would say Lyman #2 bit that's just my guess (unless the actual alloy is listed somewhere that I didn't see).

Brian Pearce says this: "When cast from wheelweight metal, bullets usually weigh 284 to 285 grains."

Later he says this: "Data contained in Table I (14,000 psi) was developed with bullets cast from wheelweight metal, then sized to .4525 inch using a Lyman No. 450 Sizer with H&I sizing dies (a tool that has given proper alignment during sizing). Bullets used in Tables II and III were obtained from Mt. Baldy (PO Box 835, Cody WY 82414) that weighed 280 grains and were ordered without being sized or lubed. These were likewise sized to .4525 inch, and all bullets were lubed with NRA formula Alox as offered from Lyman."

We all know that different alloys produce different boolit weights and also varying diameters from the same mold. I wouldn't think that there would be enough variation in weight that any of the listed loads in the tables couldn't be used verbatim, as your boolit is apparently a tad bit lighter than the test boolit Brian Pearce used.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Vendor Sponsor

With all this discussion about 3 levels of performance (and pressure ceilings per model) this information is basically a heads up for those who may read some of the Ruger Only load data, and use the data in a medium frame revolver.

Old model 3 screw and the new model made from 1973 onward are full size guns capable of any of the 30,000+psi loadings. Full sized Blackhawks, Super Blackhawks, and Original Vaqueros have a TWO digit serial number prefix and share the same 30,000+psi pressure ceiling as the 3 screw Old Model Super Blackhawks.

There is also the New Model Flattop Blackhawk and New Model Vaquero which are medium framed guns with smaller cylinders than the older full size "New Models." The medium frame new model guns have the short gas ring, but they also have a scalloped ratchet star which is easy to distinguish between the two. The scalloped ratchet star is ONLY found on the medium framed guns, which also have a THREE digit prefix in the serial number.

These medium frame guns are NOT SAFE with any of the 30,000+psi "Ruger Only" loads and not recommended to exceed 23,000psi which is 45ACP+P pressure, which they are rated for.

Large frame Blackhawk, Super Blackhawk, and Vaquero on the left, medium frame Blackhawk Flattop and New Vaquero on the right:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ruger 45 Cylinders Compared.png 
Views:	7 
Size:	524.9 KB 
ID:	325134
    photo borrowed from gunblast.com

Boolit Master
    My son lost my old 45colt mould so i bought a new one but the new one is 265grn rather than the old one that was 255 so im looking for some loads people have used in this weight. They will mostly be shot out of a Blackhawk and a 92 levergun so heavy loads are fine but some light ones would be good also for my new model Vaquero. I have a healthy supply of Unique,2400 and Bullseye on hand so those are the powders im looking to stick with. Thanks in advance for any info.
    What mould did you buy?
    USMC 6638

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by oldblinddog View Post
    What mould did you buy?
    Ill look the number up when i get home,its from NOE. I had my gallbladder and Appendix removed recently so havent been online and just saw you had asked,sorry for the delay.

Heaviest boolit that Ive ever loaded in a .45 colt was a 292 gr RNFP 45-70 boolit that was resized down to .454, the gun would not group .452 boolits. Did it for bowling pin shoots way back when that was a thing. Was very effective. Chalk it up to being young and foolish. Was shooting them in my big Colt Anaconda.
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 04-10-2024 at 05:40 PM.

Boolit Master
    Ill look the number up when i get home,its from NOE. I had my gallbladder and Appendix removed recently so havent been online and just saw you had asked,sorry for the delay.
    That’s ok. I was just wondering if you had the RCBS mould.
    USMC 6638