Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: Swedish Rolling Block Sporter

Boolit Mold

Swedish Rolling Block Sporter

Just picked up a pretty nice one from Simpson's . It's chambered in 8x58rd and I have gathered most all the supplies I will need to cast and reload for it . I'll be using 45-70 reformed brass and Lee 8mm Maximum bullets . Just a couple of questions . What range are the 2 leaf express sights calibrated for ? Also I have a supply of Unique , 2400 , acc 2200 , varget and 4198 powder . I want to stay around 15 to 1600fps . I'd like opinions on which of these powders would be my best bet generally speaking . Thanks for your help .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Carl1.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	325083

Quote Originally Posted by ric44 View Post
    Just picked up a pretty nice one from Simpson's . It's chambered in 8x58rd and I have gathered most all the supplies I will need to cast and reload for it . I'll be using 45-70 reformed brass and Lee 8mm Maximum bullets . Just a couple of questions . What range are the 2 leaf express sights calibrated for ? Also I have a supply of Unique , 2400 , acc 2200 , varget and 4198 powder . I want to stay around 15 to 1600fps . I'd like opinions on which of these powders would be my best bet generally speaking . Thanks for your help .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Carl1.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	325083
    My choice would be 4198 for the velocity you've specified. For lighter loads Unique is great, but 4198 is best for 1500-1600 fps. You can probably use data for .33 Winchester to make a good starting point.

Boolit Master
    I use IMR 4198 with a gas checked 245 slug, from a mold that midsouthshooters supply has the exclusive from Lee, supposed to be 225 but comes out heavy with my alloy.

Boolit Master
    I use both 4198 and Unique. I use PPU 8x56R brass fireformed to my rifles. Comes up a little short but seems a lot easier to convert than 45/70. Haven't shot any of them in a while, but they are IMHO nice rifles.

The Swedes called these reworked Rolling Blocks "Forester Guns". When the military began switching to the 1896 bolt actions, these old military rifles were customized into semi sporters for their game wardens, which they called Foresters.

Boolit Mold
    Something else I noticed about it when I inspected it today was that the sporter sling swivels are only 3/4" wide . But I guess a narrow leather sling will solve that . Interesting comments about them being "Forester" guns . I'd like to read some more about them but info seems limited .

Boolit Mold
    Same bullet mold I ordered koger . I plan to use wheelweight lead with a gas check . Also plan to go with a Marble's tang sight .

Boolit Master
    With that mold and 21 grs of IMR 4198, it shoots spot on at 100 yds with the fold up leaf sights. Also you can take a 170 gr GC .324 cast and 15 gr of Unique and it will shoot spot on as well.

Boolit Mold
    koger I assume you mean with the second leaf folded up ? Also which 170gr bullet are you talking about ?

I got the Forester info from a man in Denmark or Sweden who told me some history of these guns. I'd seen so many reworked military Rollers and wondered why so many were so simply rebuilt vs. full custom builds?
    You can buy wider slings that have a narrower 3/4" end. Or wide slings with a 1" end that you can easily narrow the ends 1/8" off each side. I use my belt sander to carefully narrow slings at the swivels to fit. More precise and clean than using a razor or knife.

Boolit Mold
    Which primer are you folks using, std or magnum?
    Thank you

There is a lot of information on Swedish rifles on this site if you dig around.
    https://www.gunboards.com/forums/swe...g-firearms.50/

Boolit Buddy
    I have one myself. I’m just figuring out how to load for it. I loaded about 40 today with light charges of Unique and a Lee 8mm cast bullet.
    I think it’ll it will be a fine shooting rifle. I plan on shooting it some on Monday

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Adk Mike View Post
    I have one myself. I’m just figuring out how to load for it. I loaded about 40 today with light charges of Unique and a Lee 8mm cast bullet.
    I think it’ll it will be a fine shooting rifle. I plan on shooting it some on Monday
    Let us know how it turns out .

Boolit Buddy
    Shoots pretty good. I loaded 10 grains of Unique and a Lee 8mm bullet 174 grains .sized to .324
    My Lee dies had too large of an expander. Once I got the right expander out of a set of junk dies .
    The gun is fun to shoot. I’ll try some more later in the week and see what it does.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Adk Mike View Post
    Shoots pretty good. I loaded 10 grains of Unique and a Lee 8mm bullet 174 grains .sized to .324
    My Lee dies had too large of an expander. Once I got the right expander out of a set of junk dies .
    The gun is fun to shoot. I’ll try some more later in the week and see what it does.
    Great . I'd be interested to know what kind of velocity you got if you have a chrony .

Quote Originally Posted by bearingsmith View Post
    Which primer are you folks using, std or magnum?
    Thank you
    I use standard primers, but not an issue using magnums if you're not pushing the loads too hot.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ric44 View Post
    koger I assume you mean with the second leaf folded up ? Also which 170gr bullet are you talking about ?
    Yep with the second leaf folded up, the 245 gr is spot on at 100yds. The Lee 170 gr is what I use, PC and gas check, unsized it comes out .324 and shoots great with the 2nd leaf sight folded down, using the lower one and 15 grs of Unique.

Boolit Grand Master
    Don Verna

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    Yep with the second leaf folded up, the 245 gr is spot on at 100yds. The Lee 170 gr is what I use, PC and gas check, unsized it comes out .324 and shoots great with the 2nd leaf sight folded down, using the lower one and 15 grs of Unique.
    Any idea what the velocity is ?