MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: 25/20 cases-Help

Boolit Mold

25/20 cases-Help

Just finally got everything ready to reload some 25-20’s for my Savage 23. Bought most of this stuff a couple years ago.

Thought I would start by full length sizing my new cases and after doing a few of them I looked at one and it seemed that it wasn’t resizing all the way down to the base so I tried to chamber one in my rifle and it really didn’t want to go in and didn’t want to extract either.

Got out my micrometer and this is what I got;

Head diameter- .352 (manual says it should be .349, factory new cartridge measures .344.5

Rim diameter- .387. ( manual says.408, factory cartridge measures .403)

What are my options? I have emailed the company I got them from but haven’t received a response yet so I’m not going to bad mouth them. I paid a lot for them and really expected better quality than this. I also know that these cases are very scarce and don’t know where I could find replacements. Oh, and the parent case for these is 7.62 Nagant, which I thought was interesting.

Boolit Master
    Depending on the make of the Nagant brass it may have a much thicker web than the 25 WCF (the old milsurp fiber board box stuff being the thickest in my experience).Also, depending on whom you procured this brass from will generally work with you.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

If worse comes to worse I have a few 32-20 fired cases I can form for you to 25-20.

Boolit Mold
    cwtebay- that’s what I’m hoping will happen so I’ll give them a few days to respond.

Dom, thanks for the offer and I may take you up on it depending on how I make out with the supplier.

Was really hoping to make this my squirrel gun for this fall.

Boolit Master
    This won't fix the problem with your current batch of brass but MidwayUSA has 32-20 Starline brass in stock that could be easily formed to 25-20.

If you are able to acquire some 32-20 brass I can properly form them for you. Just cover the shipping. No problem.After running thru these three dies, perfect 25-20 brass.
    Last edited by Dom; 03-25-2024 at 03:55 PM.

Boolit Mold
    35 REM, thanks for letting me know that. Much appreciated.

Dom, I just ordered the above mentioned 32-20 cases. If you could p.m. me your address, I’ll take you up on your very gracious offer and send you the cases when I get the but I’d really like to compensate you for it. You’re really helping me out here.

Boolit Buddy
    Sounds like your sizing die is to big. If so, different brass is not going to cure your problem.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jdsingleshot View Post
    Sounds like your sizing die is to big. If so, different brass is not going to cure your problem.
    I guess I don't understand this. Wouldn't the sizing die being too large result in easier passage over the brass in resizing?

Boolit Buddy

The 25-20 case being slightly tapered do you have the top of the shell holder touching the bottom of the sizing die? If there is a gap between the two then the case is not being sized all the way down.

I’ve turned ppu boxer nagant into 32-20. Rim is smaller. But otherwise good to go.

Boolit Master
    The OP stated that his cases were formed from 7.62 Nagant and that is why they won't chamber.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 35 Rem View Post
    The OP stated that his cases were formed from 7.62 Nagant and that is why they won't chamber.
    Perhaps I am misunderstanding your post? No one seems to be disputing that.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    Perhaps I am misunderstanding your post? No one seems to be disputing that.

Yeah, my response wasn't aimed at any particular previous post. Just seemed as if some weren't catching that point. If that's not the case then ignore my 2 cents worth.

Boolit Mold
    Yup, made sure the die was all the way down.

Boolit Bub
    Take the decapping rod out and using a soft hammer (not steel) tap the case all the way into the die. This may allow the head to fully size down. A vise will also work.

Hey Tyler. You should have received your new formed 25-20 brass. Works great in my Marlin 94CL 25-20.

Boolit Master
    as other said adjust die to go down further