RotoMetals2WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Traditions Plastic ramrods

2TM101- Wooden ramrod aren't inherently dangerous, they 'can be', if chosen, made, or used incorrectly. I use both plastic and wooden range rods, at camp or range. I prefer hickory, but oak can work to. Grasp the rod 4-6" above the muzzle and use short strokes. You are much more likely to break a wooden ramrod by grabbing too high and flexing it excessively. I have loaded and shot thousands of rounds in my muzzleloaders, only times I have had trouble was when I was careless or in too much of a hurry. YMMV
    hc18flyer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TM101 View Post
    I'll have to get that. While my wooden rods from Home Depot are really cheap, they are apparently prone to breakage leaving a nice sharp point to go through your hand.
    I went through my old invoices and it's actually October Country that sells it.
    https://www.octobercountry.com/bench...meter-36-long/

This is what you need. Once you use it you'll never use anything else at the range. Perfect for cleaning and loading. I use it for all my rifles, I just change the jag.

10-32 is the thread pitch for most "muzzle loading" jags.

Boolit Bub
    Just for information, I make range rods from 1/2” dowels for50 cal and7/16” for 54 cal.. You have to look for the rods that keep straight grain and no side run off and be mindful of no over flex when in use. I’ve been useing these for 40 yrs. and broken a few yes just don’t go hog wild on long strokes keep the rr straight. One end pushes the patch n ball home and the other is cut n shaved to be used as a jag for cleaning, works great.
    Graysmoke

Boolit Buddy
    I use a fiberglass rod. If I were to use a natural material, I would definitely use bamboo!

I have a couple Delron rods I think thats what they are for range rods, they work really good. The only time i use the factory rods is when im in the field. All i have to do is change the jag pending what caliber ím shooting. I have one of those boor protecters on them to help. Not sure if it makes a difference or not but use them any way. For the amount of shooting i do i dont think im going to wear any thing out not using it but i have it so i use it. For range work you shoot alot so might make a difference in the long run.
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12