MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traditions Plastic ramrods

Boolit Buddy

Traditions Plastic ramrods

Fired 21 rounds of .45 cal with my custom blend powder. I say that because its mostly white (starch) powder with some crimson and some real black powder mixed in. After a lot of experimenting I had about four pounds of this. It works fine, actually.

Then when I went to load the 22nd shot I could not find the ramrod. The last shot I fired did not look, sound or recoil any differently than the others. However the plastic Traditions ramrod could not be found. I even looked downrange, nothing. I had gotten distracted by a conversation with the police officer in the next lane over about illegal alien cops.

Point being that ramrod was such a lightweight piece of junk I apparently shot it out of the rifle without even noticing I had done it. A replacement ramrod on Amazon was $25. A wooden dowel from Home Depot cost $1.24 and was long enough to make two replacements, both of which work better than the original.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 S&W Long, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, 10mm, 44 Special 44 Magnum. .223, 7.62x39, 7.62 x 54R, .30-06, 45-70, .32, .36, .44. .45. .50. .54. .58 and .60 round ball and various minies. And .375 heel crimped conical for those .36 conversions . KB6MRP on Discord

Boolit Master
    I always make my own ramrods from Oak dowels from Home Depot.
    If I need replacement tips , I get them from T.O.W.
    I also rebuild my old ramrods from poor condition ramrods from used rifles that I buy.
    I also have to customize ramrods on rifles that I modified like when I shorten the barrels or install longer barrels on the new build.
    To spruce up the look I often loosely wrap the dowel with copper wire , and lightly burn the wood with a propane torch to put stripes on the wood.

Boolit Buddy

Not very pretty, but I have a friend that uses 3/8 in fiberglass electric fence poles available at farm supply stores. Has half a dozen kids and grand kids that hunt with him. Guessing loss might be a reason, but tough is the key. Says he saw his Grand daugther rammimg the ramrod into a tree in an attempt to seat the slug. GW

I have had to make a new rod for a Hawken I have. I used an oak dowel. But, when at the range I have a high quality brass T-Rod range rod I use. The original rods seldom come out of the gun.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

I refuse to use turned dowels, as I've had them split on me, injuring my hand.

Split Hickory wood has long been the Gold Standard for wooden RR's

IME, most plastic RR's are like limp spaghetti when it comes to use.

I retain my gun's issue RR's for show, but for hunting/shooting, I've replaced all my RR's with fiberglass driveway markers from the likes of Home Cheapo - and no, I haven't had any muzzle wear issues since I started using them over the past 25-odd years.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    I refuse to use turned dowels, as I've had them split on me, injuring my hand. .
    Never thought about that, it could get ugly. Place I shoot has pieces of 2x4 covered with old carpet for you to use as a rest and I use them as a mallet to seat difficult bullets. If it breaks the sharp end won't go into my hand.

My first choice was to try and find steel rods but they didn't have any that would fit. Then I saw the wooden ones for $1.24. I'm just using them plain, no special ends on them, since I'm using a wooden block instead of my hand anyway. I did have some old arrows but they were not long enough.

I have lost ramrods before, but this was the first time I have done it without knowing it happened. It just...disappeared.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 S&W Long, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, 10mm, 44 Special 44 Magnum. .223, 7.62x39, 7.62 x 54R, .30-06, 45-70, .32, .36, .44. .45. .50. .54. .58 and .60 round ball and various minies. And .375 heel crimped conical for those .36 conversions . KB6MRP on Discord

Boolit Grand Master

The old ramrods were also soaked in linseed oil for several days to impregnate and strengthen the grain. A rod finished in this manner was very flexible and could spring bend more before breaking. Its easy to do a small dia pvc pipe and 2 caps. place rod in and fill with linseed oil then check every day and fill as needed. when done soaking remove wipe down and let cure.

Boolit Master

I believe the flexible ramrod I have for my .50 Hawkin came from Mountain States but I am not sure. It came with an end piece on the front of the ramrod to attach cleaning jag, bullet seating, patch ramover, etc. Works for me quite well in the field. james

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    The old ramrods were also soaked in linseed oil for several days to impregnate and strengthen the grain.

A rod finished in this manner was very flexible and could spring bend more before breaking.

Its easy to do a small dia pvc pipe and 2 caps. place rod in and fill with linseed oil then check every day and fill as needed.

when done soaking remove wipe down and let cure.

That's what I've done for what seems like forever - but I use kerosene ILO linseed oil.

Kerosene's carrier evaporates in a day or two - and no deer ever noticed any odor before I dropped it.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Many folks shoot ramrods Downrange! Just keep your head in the game and it will not happen. I never shot a ramrod down range. Whatever?

Adam

Boolit Buddy
    Source for ram rod bits and pieces: TOW, DGW etc. etc. Shooting one downrange can be 'fun'! Good way to use up those "old" arrows too!
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Master
    Wow
    You just reminded me of things I did back when I was a kid .
    I use to shoot arrows out of my BP rifle because I didn’t have that many lead balls to shoot and glass marbles didn’t fit my rifle .
    I also didn’t have much BP so I ground up matches to use as powder.
    All those things were so much fun back then, but don’t look like they would be fun at all today .

Boolit Buddy
    I leave the wooden RR in place at the range and use a TOW delrin version instead. Much more forgiving and sturdy.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Helmer View Post
    Many folks shoot ramrods Downrange! Just keep your head in the game and it will not happen. I never shot a ramrod down range. Whatever?
    Adam
    I was in the 1977 Gettysburg reenactment and I think that was the first one where they realized that reenactors not only do not need ramrods, but having them caused problems. I remember seeing at least three of them flying through the air, but unlike Alec Baldwin the thousands of us knew where to aim prop guns and nobody got hurt.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    Wow
    You just reminded me of things I did back when I was a kid . I use to shoot arrows out of my BP rifle because I didn’t have that many lead balls to shoot and glass marbles didn’t fit my rifle .
    All those things were so much fun back then, but don’t look like they would be fun at all today .
    I shoot marbles, ball bearings, clay and mostly lead balls made from contaminated material out of my smoothbores on a regular basis. Everyone else on the range stops shooting and watches me. I have no doubt appeared in several youtube videos. I'm 66, its fun now.

Boolit Master
    I too mostly use a plastic or fiberglass Rod at the range.
    Mostly because I have two rods set up to do things like swab the bores or pull out patches that fell off into the bore .
    But when I go shooting in the desert , I strictly use the wooden ram rods.
    Mostly because I am doing less shooting and I don’t have places to put the extra rods between shots.

Boolit Master
    I always bring a heavy duty all brass rod to the range. Track of the Wolf sells them. They work better than any light weight rod, will never split on you and you'll never not notice that it's in your gun. Because of the weight and the large comfortable handle.

Boolit Grand Master
    Have made many oak & hickory ram rods. Also, solid brass ram rods. Just order from MSA industrial supply. Turn in a lathe or use right out of the box.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
    I always bring a heavy duty all brass rod to the range. Track of the Wolf sells them. They work better than any light weight rod, will never split on you and you'll never not notice that it's in your gun. Because of the weight and the large comfortable handle.
    I'll have to get that. While my wooden rods from Home Depot are really cheap, they are apparently prone to breakage leaving a nice sharp point to go through your hand.

Boolit Master
    I have never had any of the Oak dowels that I got from Home Depot break.
    A few dowels that I bought or stored had minor warps . But I corrected that by steaming them over a pot of boiling water and bent them straight .
    But if you want really good wood.
    Buy the Hickory Dowel material from TOW.
    It has a finer grain than most Oak.
    So it is way less subject to any cracking.
    But those brass ramrods for range rods might be the perfect answer.
    I have bought 1/4” brass rods from Home Depot.
    But I never looked to see if they sell 3/8” brass rods that are 36” long.
    But they do sell 3/8” Aluminum rods.
    Those will work , but they are not as flexible.
    So if you bend them, they remain bent .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast