Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: 3" Ruger 357 LCRx loads

3" Ruger 357 LCRx loads

Would N110 or H4227 be a little slow in a 3" barrel? I've got some 160gr LFN-GC which may be a little heavy for this revolver. I've also got some BE-86 which may be ok for mid velocity loads. I've got to use mag primers too, that's all I have.

Boolit Master
    First off,, I'd study a few different reloading manuals to see what they offer in the way of loads for .357 & those powders. The 160 grn bullet should be ok in the gun,, as one of the common .357 bullets weighs 158 grns. As long as it's loadable, and fits the cylinder w/o protrusion,,, fine.

I use H4227 & IMR 4227 a lot in bigger calibers,, but my guns have longer barrels. I've never tried any N110.

Maybe a trip to Blue Collar Reloading in Salisbury can get you more components that may better match what you wish to do?????

I've got some J-word 125gr boolits as well. I just hate to buy any more powders now.

Boolit Master
    My “woods walking gun” is a Ruger SP101 with a 3” bbl. My most accurate load in that gun is a full charge of WW296 under a 180g Hornady JHP with a mag primer. Although 296 gives a little less velocity in the shorter barrel, it still gives more velocity than other powders in the same gun. I can shoot this gun 10 shots DA at 25 yards and group under 4”. There are a LOT of bear on my property so I carry it “just in case”. I never had to shoot one, but I’ve fired it more than once to make them run off when yelling, etc didn’t seem to phase them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SP101%2025yd%20DA.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	325046

Boolit Grand Master
    Well, it depends on what you want to do. If you want a 357 load for defense against hair, teeth and claws, your N-110 will do you well, though a full charge in the 14.0 grain weight will be uncomfortable in a 21 ounce pistol. (Lyman suggests 12.6 - 14.0 grains, mag primers, start to max, for a 160 grain boolit loaded to 1.59".) For a more manageable load, your BE 86 powder in the 4.5-5.0 grain range should be a good 38 special load for your 357 revolver.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 03-25-2024 at 11:50 AM. Reason: typo
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    Well, it depends on what you want to do. If you want a 357 load for defense against hair, teeth and claws, your N-110 will do you well, though a full charge in the 14.0 grain weight will be uncomfortable in a 21 ounce pistol. (Lyman suggests 12.6 - 14.0 grains, start to max, for a 160 grain boolit loaded to 1.59".) For a more manageable load, your BE 86 powder in the 4.5-5.0 grain range should be a good 38 special load for your 357 revolver.
    Good point. Used for what?

Mainly general carry, 2 legged vermin and coyote sized 4 legged varmits.

My Ruger SP 101, 3"Bbl. I shoot a 183gr PB cast using SR4756 at 1019 fps over my chrono. Very controllable & accurate.

Boolit Master
    BE-86 is perfect and much better than the other two slow powders for this revolver. I suggest consulting published data and selecting a load giving a true 1000 fps from your 3 inch barrel. Even this velocity will produce painful recoil in your lightweight revolver.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kidd View Post

For those I like to use 125gn JHP or 140gn SWC.

IMHO:
    You should do testing with multiple bullets & powders. There's a fine lie between performance/accuracy/controllability.

A couple years back I did head-to-head testing using full house loads of 2400 vs h110 vs mp300 using several different bullets. I used 357 revolvers with a 2 1/2" bbl, 2x 4" bbl's, 3x 6" bbl's, 8" bbl & a contender with a 10" bbl. In a 8 different firearms and 5 different bbl lengths.

At the end of the day the 2400 outperformed the h110 & mp-300 in the 2 1/2" bbl'd revolver (higher velocity).
    In the 4" bbl'd revolvers (2x/2 of them) they were all pretty much even (+/- 20fps).
    With the 3 6" bbl'd revolvers the h110 & mp-300 really started to shine (100fps+ over the 2400).
    The 2400 wasn't even close in the 8" & 10" bbl's. Interestingly the mp-300 was within 10fps of their published data in that 10" bbl'd contender.

Anyway I ended up with a 170gr cast fn doing 1200fps in my 2 1/2" bbl'd 357mag. That load hits hard and is easily handled/manageable in my l-comp 586.

Boolit Master
    I would work up loads with the BE-86 first. After you get to the max with that powder and set aside of box of rounds, then tinker with the slower powders.
    I get higher velocity from HS-6 than I do with Enforcer under 158 grain & 180 grain bullets in my 3” .357. The recoil is stout from both powders. I have a few loads of AA#5 under a 158 grain Keith style hollow point. I’m going to run that charge up until I can no longer fire six shots fast, and then see if the HP expands. Hopefully, that turns out to be an effective short barrel load.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by justindad View Post
    I would work up loads with the BE-86 first. After you get to the max with that powder and set aside of box of rounds, then tinker with the slower powders.
    Yes Indeed...especially since BE86 is pretty much available...Around Here anyway!!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kidd View Post
    I think your BE-86 would work well for a hot .38 / mild .357 sort of option. You'll get PLENTY of penetration out of a 160 grain solid, so there's really no reason to load them toasty. Go for comfort, shoots to the sights, and quick recovery from recoil.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    I think your BE-86 would work well for a hot .38 / mild .357 sort of option. You'll get PLENTY of penetration out of a 160 grain solid, so there's really no reason to load them toasty. Go for comfort, shoots to the sights, and quick recovery from recoil.
    I have loaded BE-86 to over 1300fps, with 158gr SWC...But, it was in a 10" Contender.. Certainly Not Hot

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post

+1 for all that. And to put PLENTY of penetration into perspective, Fackler's wound profiles show about 28" of penetration in bare gelatin for 9mm ball and 21" (with a 180 degree "flip" in the middle) for a .38 Special round nose from your grandpa's service revolver.

According to MacPherson, a target wadcutter from an LCR should do about the same damage as GI hardball from a 1911.
    "Totalitarianism demands, in fact, the continuous alteration of the past, and in the long run probably demands a disbelief in the very existence of objective truth.” --George Orwell