Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: Tang Sight for Marlin 336

Boolit Bub

Tang Sight for Marlin 336

Hi all, I have a Marlin 336 and wanted to put a tang sight on it, specifically the Lyman No. 2. I want to use this rifle for hunting eventually but I am not sure of the practicality of having a tang sight for hunting. Anyone have experience with this sight or have any better options?

Boolit Master

I don't have experience with that sight but I do have experience with a tang sight on a Marlin 36. The downfall is that it hurts the web of your hand between the thumb and hand proper. The heavier the load the more abuse the hand takes. I only shoot mild loads in my model 36 and I also have a tang sight on my Winchester 92 in 25-20. Very low recoil. I much prefer a side mounted aperture sight, Lyman in particular, for a model 336 intended for hunting with heavy loads.
    Good Luck,
    Rick

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by RickinTN View Post
    I don't have experience with that sight but I do have experience with a tang sight on a Marlin 36. The downfall is that it hurts the web of your hand between the thumb and hand proper. The heavier the load the more abuse the hand takes. I only shoot mild loads in my model 36 and I also have a tang sight on my Winchester 92 in 25-20. Very low recoil. I much prefer a side mounted aperture sight, Lyman in particular, for a model 336 intended for hunting with heavy loads.
    Good Luck,
    Rick
    Hey that's great feedback. I was just looking at the Lyman 66 and think that would be a better alternative. Thanks for the info!

Boolit Grand Master

Aperture sights have a following most dont use an insert in them but just the open threaded ring as a large "ghost" aperture. The trick is to keep it close to the eye. The other plus to the tang or rear mounted aperture is the increase in sight radius. With the tang mounted sight radius almost doubles.