MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lubricant for Powder Thrower

I have used both NuFinish car wax and Johnson's paste floor wax and could see no difference.

I have also completely disassembled the Redding powder measures I use, both a BR-3 and a 30BR. Cleaned all the moving parts with acetone. Then wiped all machined surfaces with a paper towel with Kroil on it. Buffed it off so there was no residue on the surface. Basically filling the "pores" with Kroil. I could see no difference in operations of the powder measure between the Kroil or the two different waxes. And I've never had a corrosion issue on either powder measure.

I typically do the clean, rewax or reoil once a year.

Keeps them running smoothly.

Boolit Buddy

Spray graphite by Blaster or industrial spray graphite by ZEP Corporation works great.

Boolit Master
    Regardless of what you use, I think it's important to lube the entire drum rather than relying solely on graphite on gunpower to do the job. Reason being that the powder is only going to contact a small portion of the drum rotating surface. I like powdered graphite myself. I put a small amount on a paper towel and rub it in until the entire surface is coated. I made a point the past few years to collect up a full set of rotors for the RCBS Little Dandy dropper. I did this treatment for each of them spinning each of them inside a graphite coated paper4 towel until they were dull grey from end to end. They definitely work smoother now. The graphite I have is some general purpose stuff from ACE Hardware I think. I do like the car wax idea too.

Boolit Master

Boolit Bub
    I ended up recleaning the dies with some bar keepers friend to remove the rust, layered on some IPA to dry it up and used the Renaissance wax to prevent additional rusting. I followed that up with dry graphite lube and they work great! All the knowledge was greatly appreciated!

Boolit Master

I'd like to take the opportunity to click the "like" button on this thread.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Anybody try silicone spray? I was thinking that might work. Just found out last night that my Redding measures are both rusted stuck so gotta deal with them.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    Anybody try silicone spray? I was thinking that might work. Just found out last night that my Redding measures are both rusted stuck so gotta deal with them.
    I assume that is what the Hornady Cleaner and Case Lube spray is. It works for me along with dry graphite spray. But I also like the idea of the car wax for better rust prevention. That would of course be after cleaning up the rust and polishing as needed.

The "gliding" properties of your powder measure is achieved by clean surfaces, close tolerances, and the dissimilar metal types of the drum vs cast body.

Be extremely careful to protect the sharp cutting edges of both your drum, and the cast housing. If those edges have been corrupted or dulled by abrasive cleaning techniques, your measure will never be the same. The ideal situation is a perfectly sharp 90 degree edge. If it is rounded at all, it will try to "smudge" grains of powder in stead of cleanly separating and cutting the charge from the bulk in the canister. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockindaddy View Post
    Spray graphite by Blaster or industrial spray graphite by ZEP Corporation works great.
    That’s what I’ve used for 30+ years works great is right.Powder measures,funnels and scale pans.Make a tube of paper stick it down in the powder measure and spray let dry.

Dry graphite applied with an old toothbrush . Same old bush has been around for years. Has been used "ONLY" to apply dry graphite. Simple...

Boolit Bub
    Another vote for wax followed by powdered graphite. I also mix graphite into shot to ease shotgun reloading. Renaissance Wax on the workbench for metal protection when I do a complete teardown. So they are present and multipurpose.

Boolit Master
    Hornady spay case lube

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12