RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rusted Sizing Dies

Boolit Master
    I wouldn't spend the time on rusted dies to try to sell. If I needed the dies for my own use I would use some very fine polishing compound on cloth on a dowel and spin with a drill motor for the inside. The outside I wouldn't do much with other than use a wire wheel to clean the threads enough to allow them to be used.

Wire wheel on the outside does work well. The ones I've done that were very rusty all have had discoloration left where the rust was. I don't that there is any way to remove the discoloration.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Buddy
    Use Boeshield T9 with a phosphor bronze utility brush and some Scotchbrite.
    Make sure it’s a real phosphor bronze utility brush and not a steel brush with bronze plating.
    Boeshield is often used to protect the tops of table saws when not in use.
    They also have a product called Rust Free to remove rust.
    I’ve always used the T-9 itself and not the rust free but I’ll pick some up to try next time.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
    Add a pretty fair amount of powdered citric acid to water, drop them in and literally watch the rust come off. I’d say 3-4 tablespoons to a quart of water would work for a sizing die. I’d guess it would be shiny clean in an hour or two. You can find it in most canning sections at Walmart or any store that handles canning supplies.
    This would be Lemi-shine.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    This would be Lemi-shine.
    Nope, lemishine is used to enhance cleaning products. The citric acid in the canning section is pure citric acid.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
    Nope, lemishine is used to enhance cleaning products. The citric acid in the canning section is pure citric acid.
    https://lemishine.com/pages/downloads
    MSDS for lemishine.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I wouldn't spend the time on rusted dies to try to sell. If I needed the dies for my own use I would use some very fine polishing compound on cloth on a dowel and spin with a drill motor for the inside. The outside I wouldn't do much with other than use a wire wheel to clean the threads enough to allow them to be used.
    Well, figured it wouldn't hurt to give it a shot. There are plenty of people out there that love giving old items new life. I certainly don't have the know-how or the tools necessary to make other tooling out the dies, but maybe someone that's willing to pay 30 bucks for a handful of dies might be able to do something useful with them.

Boolit Master
    If I decided to sell them I would list them as is and let the buyer decide how they wanted to clean them.

Boolit Bub
    If I decided to sell them I would list them as is and let the buyer decide how they wanted to clean them.
    That's reasonable and there's a lot of wisdom in that. But there's a certain level of satisfaction that comes from learning to clean them up. I don't have to sell them, so this is more like a grand experiment in my mind. If they all get mucked up then it's no big deal.

I enjoy tinkering on things like that too, I also enjoy learning something new, so I can't blame you for undertaking a bit of a cleaning endeavor.

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by sureYnot View Post
    Lemishine sure has a lot of products. I'd stick with the canning product or, like I did, get it off Amazon.com.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Yeah, I too enjoy fixing broken/damaged things. I buy a lot of stuff that needs fixing if it's cheap but I would rather it hadn't been messed with before I get my hands on it.

Boolit Bub
    Yeah, I too enjoy fixing broken/damaged things. I buy a lot of stuff that needs fixing if it's cheap but I would rather it hadn't been messed with before I get my hands on it.
    Yeah that's fair. I have some calibers I will never really mess with so I may end up leaving them alone and seeing if I can fix up the others. To be determined.

Boolit Master
    I got a bunch of brass tube brushes from justman brush company they have lots of perfect sizes for dies and several different options as far as handle and thickness of bristles. some have loop at end of handle for use by hand and others have straight shaft that can be used in a cordless drill dipped in kroil removes rust quick and easy

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    I got a bunch of brass tube brushes from justman brush company they have lots of perfect sizes for dies and several different options as far as handle and thickness of bristles. some have loop at end of handle for use by hand and others have straight shaft that can be used in a cordless drill dipped in kroil removes rust quick and easy
    I have an old gun smith friend who is now out of the business but has a TON of brass brushes that are actually perfect for this application. Just gotta get some from him. I've heard kroil is a good one to use from several folks. Might give that a shot for my next round of experiments.

Boolit Grand Master

Use a few of the ones youll never use to practice on before going to the ones you want

Boolit Grand Master

Electrolytic rust removal is great for precision parts. It cannot remove metal, only the rust.

http://schoepp.hylands.net/electrolyticrust.html

A quick and easy set up I have used several times:

Results:

”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    Evaporust is a Chelating process and I am pretty sure it cannot harm solid metal. I have had very good results with Evaporust on rusted old tools and threading dies. It did not harm the threads in the threading dies at all after 24 hours in the Evaporust.
    I left a small wrench in vinegar for a couple of days and it ate most of the wrench!!!!

"Chelating agents will not harm the base metal but may not be as fast or thorough enough. A good middle ground is a phosphoric acid-based product that properly designed will provide quick dissolving of the rust with no risk of base metal damage. (c) Copyright 2023 DTN, LLC."

Boolit Master
    Glass bead blast to remove rust, oil immediately. Back in my archery days someone took the wheels bushings and axels from a compound bow and simmered them in a can with Slick 50 for several hours. The bow was reassembled and set up identical to how it was before. Shots before and after showed 6 to 7 FPS faster after slick 50. I would love to try this with reloading dies to see if they worked smoother with less force to size brass.

Quote Originally Posted by ebb View Post
    Glass bead blast to remove rust, oil immediately. Back in my archery days someone took the wheels bushings and axels from a compound bow and simmered them in a can with Slick 50 for several hours. The bow was reassembled and set up identical to how it was before. Shots before and after showed 6 to 7 FPS faster after slick 50. I would love to try this with reloading dies to see if they worked smoother with less force to size brass.
    That's pretty interesting, thank you for sharing.

Lead Alloy Calculator

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast