Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rusted Sizing Dies

Boolit Grand Master
    I had some rusty dies and just "to see" I put them in the wet tumbler, with stainless pins and bits.
    A dab of car wash soap, and ran it for a couple of hours.
    They came out great.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Electrolytic rust removal is great for precision parts. It cannot remove metal, only the rust.

http://schoepp.hylands.net/electrolyticrust.html

A quick and easy set up I have used several times:

Results:

what kind of "washing soda" do you use? ive looked in a whole bunch of stores looking for it and it seems to be coming of days gone by.
    I would like to try this on some old tools, dies and other things like an old Lyman trimmer that almost went in the trash can at least twice

Boolit Master
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...brass+cleaning They guy in Canada says to substitute the citric acid for the Lemi shine as it is much cheaper.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    what kind of "washing soda" do you use? ive looked in a whole bunch of stores looking for it and it seems to be coming of days gone by.
    I would like to try this on some old tools, dies and other things like an old Lyman trimmer that almost went in the trash can at least twice
    Any brand sodium carbonate will do. It is sold as pH booster for pools and hot tubs as well as washing soda. I have a box of Arm and Hammer brand because that is what our market had. Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) will also work in a pinch.
    Last edited by imashooter2; 04-09-2024 at 10:45 PM.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    Can 'make it' by heating baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) in the oven at 400°F or so. Takes a few hours. Can tell it is done when the powder is no longer thick and heavy, but light and fluffy. Best to use a glass or stainless steel bowel or dish.

All that is being done is driving off the extra CO2 molecule that was added to make washing soda (sodium carbonate) into baking soda.

And the electrolytic de-rusting does work a treat. Just need an old school battery charger, as some of the newer ones (Battery Tender) need to see some battery voltage in order to go into charge mode.

45_Colt

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ebb View Post
    Glass bead blast to remove rust, oil immediately. Back in my archery days someone took the wheels bushings and axels from a compound bow and simmered them in a can with Slick 50 for several hours. The bow was reassembled and set up identical to how it was before. Shots before and after showed 6 to 7 FPS faster after slick 50. I would love to try this with reloading dies to see if they worked smoother with less force to size brass.
    Slick 50! There is a name I have not heard for a long time. I remember putting that in a racing engine for dirt track racing to see if it helped. I didn't see any difference in my times but I did win that night. Drained it out after that race and never tried it again.

I googled Slick 50 to see if it was still out there and found something interesting. They have a product by Slick 50 called One lube, What are the odds it is related to the Hornady One Shot?

Boolit Master
    isn't slick 50 the stuff they would demonstrate a fairs and racing events where they had a briggs and Stratton motor with a clear plastic back and mopar slant 6 engine they would run them with no oil in it just a coating of the stuff? would be interesting to see how it works coating reloading gear.

Boolit Master
    My friend asked the FAA about using it in a crop duster, they told him it works to try it. He changed the oil and added slick 50 and the mechanic had to slow down the idle speed after the oil change said it was over 100 rpm higher than without. The have a new product that sounds too good to be true, they claim it fixes everything. But the old oil conditioner seems hard to find and very expensive.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123