Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45 acp load recommendations

Boolit Mold

45 acp load recommendations

I’m looking for True Blue load recommendations for .45 ACP:

1. 230 gr HC (hard cast) RN and
    2. 185 gr HC SWC.

Low end of the +P range would be nice.

Based on what I could find from the Hodgdon’s website and Handlloader magazine:

230 gr HC RN: 7.2 - 8.4 gr True Blue
    185 gr HC SWC: 8.8 - 9.2 gr True Blue

Does that seem reasonable?
    Last edited by jski45; 03-22-2024 at 11:20 AM.

231 is never a bad choice in .45 acp.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Mold
    I chose True Blue because it’s always done well for me (performance wise) and it meters so damn well because it’s so fine grained.

I'm a big Unique or Bullseye fan.
    But it wants to be accurate, and about anything in the listed data will do well.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by jski45 View Post
    I’m looking for True Blue load recommendations for .45 ACP:

1. 230 gr HC (hard cast) RN and
    2. 185 gr HC SWC.

Low end of the +P range would be nice.

Based on what I could find from the Hodgdon’s website and Handlloader magazine:

230 gr HC RN: 7.2 - 8.4 gr True Blue
    185 gr HC SWC: 8.8 - 9.2 gr True Blue

Does that seem reasonable?
    Ramshot says 6.7-7.4 for your 230 cast bullet and 8.5-9.4 for the 185gr bullet. I load the 230 cast bullet with 7gr True Blue. Works well

Boolit Master
    I got 800 fps from a 3” barrel, using 7.5 grains (+P) of True Blue under the NOE 45-237-RN seated to 1.275” OACL with CCI LPP in Starline +P brass. Underwood Ammo rounds marked 1,000 fps & +P give 850 fps in this gun.
    Lyman’s #49 gives a max charge of 7.0 grains under the 225 gr 452374, for 884 fps. Take that as a caution and work your loads up from somewhere safe.
    True Blue is my main powder for the .45 ACP. It burns clean at the top end of .45 ACP pressures, and gives single digit SD numbers, if that matters to you.
    How long is your HC bullet and what is your OACL?

Boolit Mold
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4316.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	324872
    This is reload data from Handloader magazine for hard cast RN 230 gr bullets: 7.2 - 8.4.

Boolit Master
    I'M with WingerEd on using Bullseye or Unique in .45 ACP, but I cannot imagine why True Blue wouldn't work perfectly well. Given the velocities vs. charge weights, True Blue appears to burn faster than, but otherwise similar to Alliant Blue Dot (hence the name, perhaps?). There are more economical propellants with which you can obtain your desired performance, but if you are particularly comfortable and experienced with the use of True Blue, it makes great sense to stick with what you know.
    Unless one is trying to do something very unusual with the .45 ACP, almost any shotgun/pistol propellant with a burning rate between Alliant Bullseye and AA#7 (including those) will work very well in the cartridge. One must decide at what point they are willing to sacrifice a bit of performance for greater economy, or the converse.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    OP asked for True Blue Data. I agree BE, Unique, or even Red Dot would work great - and do for me. He's looking for True Blue, and that is what he is comfortable with.

Here you go: https://www.lhs-germany.de/fileadmin...dition_4.5.pdf

For 230gr Lead: 6.7gr - 7.4gr (822fps - 913fps)
    For 180gr Lead: 7.7gr - 8.5gr (947fps - 1052fps)

For the 185gr, I'd probably reduce to 7.5gr - 8.0gr.

Either way, you'll likely find a load that works in that range.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Master
    I am a bit less picky with pistol loads and especially the .45acp. I have always used whatever powders I could find on the shelf. Red Dot, Green Dot, Blue Dot, Unique, 231, AA5, AA7, etc, etc. Once I got my progressive press I 'migrated' to the fine grain powders that would meter better through the powder measure. My measure for pistols is the Lee disk. I don't really care what powder it is as long as I can find a book load for it.

When picking a load I find the max charge and then pick the disk closest under max, usually a few tenths. Above the halfway point on the book min-max range. Then go shoot. And, yes, I do check the load thrown by the powder measure, about every 10 cartridges.

PS if you shoot competition ignore all this Fine accuracy needs more consistency in loads.

Boolit Master

This is reload data from Handloader magazine for hard cast RN 230 gr bullets: 7.2 - 8.4.
    The exact bullet matters, especially when you’re going after +P charges. Are you using that Oregon Trails bullet?

Boolit Master
    About the slowest powder that I use in 45 acp cast loads is HS-6. Unique, hands down, is the best general all around powder for this cartridge. Other powders like Bullseye, Red Dot, AA5, etc. work really well. Blue Dot can be used, but it is a little on the slow side. I assume that "Blue" is similar to Blue Dot, but I've never used it.

Boolit Mold
    I want to stay in the low to mid range +P loads.

Boolit Mold
    The reason I’m focusing on True Blue is because it meters extremely well, I have 5 lbs, and my son-in-law uses it with his Ruger 1911 with good results.

I’m loading for a S&W model 25-14 wheelgun with a 3” barrel. It was manufactured in 2007, so it’s a modern gun designed for +P loads.

Boolit Mold
    Using hard cast RN bullets from Space Coast Bullets in Melbourne, FL. They offer an excellent product. The only difference I could imagine that might make a difference is BHN. Space Coast hard cast bullets have a BHN=18.

Boolit Mold
    One other thing. I found this in the Western Powder load data pdf:

Name:	IMG_4329.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	324930
    This is for 45 ACP. The LC SWC 180 gr entry is the one of interest. That COL=1.267” seems shallow?

jmho - 4.5 to 5.0 grains of red dot under a 230 gr. hard cast bullet will do anything that the other powders listed + using 1/2 the amount of powder -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Bub

That's 45 auto rim load data.

Boolit Mold
    That is correct. I should have made that clear. Mea culpa!

But I am loading for a S&W 25-14 wheelgun using Starline 45 ACP +P brass. That data should apply.
    Last edited by jski45; 03-23-2024 at 10:39 PM.

Boolit Bub
    One other thing. I found this in the Western Powder load data pdf:

Name:	IMG_4329.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	324930
    This is for 45 ACP. The LC SWC 180 gr entry is the one of interest. That COL=1.267” seems shallow?
    That one has a long nose on it. Probably over .6 long.

Name:	45-Cal-180g-SWC-452.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	9.0 KB 
ID:	324975

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast