Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: Anyone shooting and reloading 10.3x60R?

Anyone shooting and reloading 10.3x60R?

I just landed a combo gun that handles 10.3x60R. I also received 50 BP rounds, 350grain lead bullets. Seller included Hornady dies for it and suggested data 72gr FFG (Not sure if it means, 2FFg, 3FFg or whatever.) He was missing the shell holder and thinks it needs a 25 Hornady. Have no idea about what primer.

Seller thinks I can resize another brass cartridge but was unclear where it came from.

My Combo was made about 1880s and though I really want to fire it, but not a lot of times. I can find no proof marks. There is a Crown and V on the barrel, and another disguised (See photo). This could be a "view mark." Vorhat comes to mind.

The single Damascus 20ga barrel started off as a 2 1/2" chamber and converted to 2 3/4". He has been shooting AA Target rounds and feels comfortable doing so. Question, I think "Game Loads" is the same as Target. But?

What do you think about running a few 20ga Game Loads?
    What data above for the BP Cartridges? Good enough?

I doubt that I plan to go hunting, but a few range shots?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Combo 1.jpg   Combo 3.jpg   Combo 2.jpg   9.1.jpg   4.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    If you study reloading data for shotguns, game loads and target loads have obviously different velocity.

But depending on the combination of components it is possible for a higher velocity load to have a lower pressure than a target load and it is quite possible to have high-pressure target loads as well. It isn’t as linear as loading metallic cartridges.

Boolit Buddy
    Another observation from shotgun reloading is there are two basic wad differences. Wads for straight wall hulls and wads for tapered hulls.

Remington and Winchester are the tapered hulls. This was done to reduce powder capacity and cost for the manufacturer. This allows them to get higher pressure and velocity using less gunpowder and saving them money. I would not assume the target Loads are lower pressure strictly on the basis of them being low velocity.

Boolit Grand Master

If the cartridges have a rebated rim they are based on the 11mm Mauser case. That was common in the day that yours was made. If yours is 60mm it might just take a neck down to make your cases. You can use either 2FG or 3FG in those cartridges, it won't make enough difference to significantly change your point of aim. Make sure you load with no air space, lightly compress your powder at least at the first. You may want more compression later.

Mine is a 10.5x47R with a 16x2.5 damascus shotgun barrel, side by side. Made between 1885 and April 1, 1892.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

The seller says, and he is a long time gun guy,

"I have been shooting low recoil Winchester AA shells and black powder loaded rifle ammo in this gun with no issues."

But the gun has a Damascus barrel and was made somewhere in the 1880s. I don't want to have a problem.

So just load black powder for the rifle and shotgun sides? Properly loaded black powder shotshells don't give up much of anything to modern smokeless loads and are more fun to shoot also. Too bad about it having been rechambered but you can work with that.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMax View Post
    The seller says, and he is a long time gun guy,

"I have been shooting low recoil Winchester AA shells and black powder loaded rifle ammo in this gun with no issues."

But the gun has a Damascus barrel and was made somewhere in the 1880s. I don't want to have a problem.
    The point I’m trying to make is low recoil or target loads from the major ammunition makers doesn’t directly correlate to low pressure. All they do is load to the published velocity while staying within saami pressure limits. Even if you got some AA loads pressure tested and felt comfortable, how do you know the next railcar of gunpowder Winchester buys isn’t a different lot, and the pressures might be different?

A young sailor may have been enjoying the company of the ladies at all the ports along a route and never had any trouble either...
    Until there is trouble.

I have seen published reloading data for 12 gauge in the 5,000 to 6,000 psi range. There are plenty of loads in the 10,000 to 11,500 psi range and there is not a considerable velocity difference in some of them. I haven’t studied 20 gauge data yet, or I would point you toward the 1/2 sammi max pressure 20 gauge smokeless loads if I was aware of them.

Boolit Buddy
    I wouldn’t want to put ugly yellow plastic 20 gauge modern shotshells in that beautiful gun. Some all brass loaded with black powder, fiber wads, and lead shot would just feel and sound better.

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Ma...tinfo/3922065/

In stock right now!
    Last edited by Barry54; 03-23-2024 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Link added

Thank you several. I think my best bet is to load BP 20ga. Also I really like the brass shot shells. These are appropriate to my gun.

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry for seeming like a Debbie downer. But I’d hate to see that piece of history damaged for convenience of modern plastic store bought ammunition designed for the masses.

Not to mention the fact that metal has been removed already making an antique barrel and chamber thinner.

Id love to be a bystander at a public range and see some young lad enamored when you break it open and insert brass cartridges and brass shotshells as he watched in awe with the smoke and boom of black powder!

Please keep us posted on your progress.

Barry54, Thanks! I love to shoot BP and have a few muzzleloaders. There is nothing compares with the smoke, smell and wonderful booooom of BP! Picture of my favorite shooter, 1750s Swiss Jaeger .70cal (Converted to percussion, but otherwise as it was born) with 85grains of 2FFG. A huge belch of smoke and a paper target with .70 holes that you can see without a spotting scope!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Swiss Jaeger.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	324926Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1770 sw.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	324927

Ordering a box of brass 20ga. I also have an antique Sauer and Shonn Drilling. Ordering 16ga also! I like brass shotgun shells. When I was a kid my father brought back WWII a sealed tin of 12ga brass! It was wonderful! Wish I had saved the brass.
    Last edited by ShadowMax; 03-23-2024 at 08:45 AM.

Wise decision. You'll continue to enjoy that fine gun for many years to come.

10.3X60R is the metric version of the 450/400 2-3/8” cartridge.

I took an original apart and posted it on the NitroExpress forum.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showf...e=6#Post237697

Quote Originally Posted by Huvius View Post
    10.3X60R is the metric version of the 450/400 2-3/8” cartridge.

I took an original apart and posted it on the NitroExpress forum.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showf...e=6#Post237697
    According to my calculations that my 10.3mm boolet is .416