WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: Hodgdon Perfect Pattern

Hodgdon Perfect Pattern

Does anyone have experience with loading pistol/revolver cartridges with Hodgdon's "Perfect Pattern" powder?

There is a discussion of it here for shotgun use, for which it is advertised, but as it is faster burning than Bullseye and Clays (both are in my cabinet), and given that it is said to be high density, I wondered about using it it the following:

32 Auto (high density would be especially appreciated here!)
    38 Spl Wadcutter loads
    Maybe 45 Auto 200 gr SWC
    Maybe 45 Colt 255 Gr roundnose

Please, experience on this powder would be appreciated. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Piłsudski View Post
    Does anyone have experience with loading pistol/revolver cartridges with Hodgdon's "Perfect Pattern" powder?

There is a discussion of it here for shotgun use, for which it is advertised, but as it is faster burning than Bullseye and Clays (both are in my cabinet), and given that it is said to be high density, I wondered about using it it the following:

32 Auto (high density would be especially appreciated here!)
    38 Spl Wadcutter loads
    Maybe 45 Auto 200 gr SWC
    Maybe 45 Colt 255 Gr roundnose

Please, experience on this powder would be appreciated. Thanks!
    This powder is interesting to me because I like really fast powders. I've been loading TiteWad for several years in 9mm and .300blk and like the results. I looked up all the info I could find on it and initially thought it may have just been TiteWad renamed since it and TiteWad are right next to each other on the burn rate chart.

I found info on a trapshooter forum where a user had significantly different results with Perfect Pattern and TiteWad with PP being a bit more quick to increase pressure with the same charges.

I also have been playing around with Nitro100NF which is a slight bit faster burning than TW. I have found the charges to be identical with the limited data Hodgdon gives. Nitro 100NF has a lot more data than TW for pistol.

These really fast powders can show pressure increases rapidly with heavy bullets so the .45ACP and .45LC would have to be approached very cautiously.

I would first contact Hodgdon and ask for their thoughts on this.

Disclaimer: I feel comfortable doing the following and understand the risk to me should things go wrong. Do not do this if you do not understand and accept the risk of not having absolute data. This is the way I would approach it.

If I had a pound of PP I would personally use conservative Nitro100NF data running all loads over the chrono and measuring my brass case head expansion, looking for sticky extraction and case frosting as well as looking at primers.

Good source for reloading data--lots of Nitro100NF data.
    https://shootersreference.com/reloadingdata/

Burn Rate:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BR PP.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	324916

Some of my TiteWad and Nitro 100NF load experience:
    https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/ni...#post-32091186
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

thank you, Steve. I think that you are right: a note to Hodgdon is in order. BTW, I appreciate the link with the Nitro 100 NF loads you posted. There's some things to study there. Thanks!

I'm shooting all cast, and I tend to prefer Bullseye for 32 Auto, 38 Spl (2.7 gr Wadcutter loads), and 45 Auto. Unique I save for 9mm and 45 Colt, though I'm going to work up some Bullseye loads for 45 Colt.

I'm especially thinking of Perfect Pattern for 32 Auto, as it's supposed to be high density and case capacity is in short supply for 32 Auto. I my decide to move to a heavier bullet in 32 Auto, and that makes case capacity an even bigger issue.

I notice Perfect Pattern on sale at some stores, which is another positive thing. If Hodgdon is OK with this use and the first pound works out, I might like to get an 8 lb jug to suppliment my stash. these are times when self-sufficiency is good.
    Last edited by Piłsudski; 03-23-2024 at 03:54 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    I’m not going to be purchasing Hodgdon’s two new shotgun powders just on principle. Perfect pattern might be a new powder that’s great for your 32 and I wish you well. High Gun is Titegroup relabeled according to internet chatter.

Whatever the story is, I’m not buying them. International, Clays, and Universal have been unavailable for a long time. I’ve got milk crates full of load manuals. Make the powder that we already have data for before introducing “new” powder.

Quote Originally Posted by Piłsudski View Post
    thank you, Steve. I think that you are right: a note to Hodgdon is in order. BTW, I appreciate the link with the Nitro 100 NF loads you posted. There's some things to study there. Thanks!

I'm shooting all cast, and I tend to prefer Bullseye for 32 Auto, 38 Spl (2.7 gr Wadcutter loads), and 45 Auto. Unique I save for 9mm and 45 Colt, though I'm going to work up some Bullseye loads for 45 Colt.

I'm especially thinking of Perfect Pattern for 32 Auto, as it's supposed to be high density and case capacity is in short supply for 32 Auto. I my decide to move to a heavier bullet in 32 Auto, and that makes case capacity an even bigger issue.

I notice Perfect Pattern on sale at some stores, which is another positive thing. If Hodgdon is OK with this use and the first pound works out, I might like to get an 8 lb jug to suppliment my stash. these are times when self-sufficiency is good.
    You are welcome. I hope this pans out for you as it is always a good idea to have data available for as many powders as possible when availability is low. Thatshow I found TiteWad and am happy I put in the work to make it work.

PP sounds like a more dense version of TiteWad to me. Because of this be extremely cautious working up loads and make sure your powder measure is accurate. A couple tenths could be the difference between mild and overpressure.

One of the posts in the glocktalk link I posted is a member who had overpressure with .45ACP and Nitro100 loads which he backed down .5gr to make work.
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Quote Originally Posted by steve urquell View Post
    You are welcome. I hope this pans out for you as it is always a good idea to have data available for as many powders as possible when availability is low. Thatshow I found TiteWad and am happy I put in the work to make it work.

PP sounds like a more dense version of TiteWad to me. Because of this be extremely cautious working up loads and make sure your powder measure is accurate. A couple tenths could be the difference between mild and overpressure.

One of the posts in the glocktalk link I posted is a member who had overpressure with .45ACP and Nitro100 loads which he backed down .5gr to make work.
    Steve: yes, I do worry about any overcharge, as charges for 32 Auto are very small (~2 gr Bullseye and what comes after the decimal is critical) and "hotrodders" tend to crack frames, which I certainly don't want to do.

My use of 32 is as a backup and I am attempting to practice in volume with it. The little guns are a challenge for hands like mine.

I have worked up a loading procedure for years that would stand me in good stead for old age, so I work up loads and then "seal" them with a dedicated "Little Dandy" measure for each handgun caliber. No changing or adjusting -- just recheck and go for every new session.

All my handguns are cast now except for carry. Carry gets cast for practice and factory for carry. Non-carry, like 45 Auto and 38 Spl only get light target cast loads.