Snyders JerkyWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Accurate #31-200L question for Garand

Accurate #31-200L question for Garand

I've been reloading since '59 & began casting shortly thereafter. 99.5% has been with handgun calibers. The exception being .38-40 for a '73 (cast) & the Lee 457-405F for my #3 in .45-70. The .38-40 doesn't count as rifle reloading since it's just a handgun caliber shot in a rifle. The .45-70 is more like a very big handgun caliber.

I'm taking the dive to reload cast boolits in my Garands & 03-A3s. I've gleaned through all info I could find here, but still have questions.

I have a Lachmiller 311 170 RN mold that I bought in '77 & a .309 sizing die for My Lyman #45. I figure seating gas checks would be easier than using my Star. I plan to start with this mold & size at least .001 over whatever I come up with after I slug the bore.

Questions:
    1. I see where many are sizing .311 with good results. If so, why slug the bore?
    2. I've been using BAC lube from LsStuff with the handgun boolits in the star. I'll need to go to hollow lube for the #45: would carnaba (spelling?) red be better?
    3. Some suggest dacron (spelling?) filler for reduced loads using handgun powders. Is there a rule of thumb as to how much to use?
    4. I see the 311299 gets high praise. Has anyone used the Accurate #31-200L (a version of that boolit)? The Accurate site states 53 have been sold (it must have something going for it).

Any help is appreciated.
    Henry

Boolit Master

3. Some suggest dacron (spelling?) filler for reduced loads using handgun powders. Is there a rule of thumb as to how much to use?

I think the general rule is to use a filler when using powders with a burn rate Slower than 2400. Not the expert on this. I am sure others will join in.

Boolit Master
    Use 2400 and no dacron filler.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Master
    USMC 6638

Boolit Master
    oldhenry,

You will like cast boolits in your Garand and 03-A3s. The bolt guns are not too picky while the Garand needs enough powder to cycle the action. I use cast boolits in all my many military surplus rifles and have yet to slug a bore. I try a bullet nose first into the muzzle and go from there. My rifles "tell" me what size they prefer.

My best Garand cast is the Lee C312-185 RN, sized .309", ahead of a book-listed charge of IMR4895. My cast M1 load is on the same point of aim/point of impact as Ball and 150 grain J reloads. That Lee boolit is my "Ball Substitute" round for my Garands since surplus Ball ammo was a dollar a round at the last gun show here.

I hope this helps. Be well.

Adam