WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pewter

Boolit Bub

Pewter

I'm messing around with collecting some pieces as cheaply as I can find.

What was the cut off period when lead was taken out of the mix as standard practice. In other words, when did "modern" pewter become a thing.

I'm finding stuff from the 40's and 50s.

Boolit Buddy
    If the pewter is shiny and bright and is stamped pewter anywhere it is probably lead free. This is Brittania metal pewter and these pieces are usually spun to form and are not cast. The darker pieces that are not stamped pewter but have a makers mark are old and usually have lead in them. If you find pewter like this you need to research the piece because some are valuable and should not make the melt pile.

Just make sure to avoid anything that is stamped "peterex" or something similar. Then there is the Wilton Armetale stuff most people also call pewter. But it is an aluminum alloy and worthless. Unfortunately you see these 10:1 over real pewter.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    If the pewter is shiny and bright and is stamped pewter anywhere it is probably lead free. This is Brittania metal pewter and these pieces are usually spun to form and are not cast. The darker pieces that are not stamped pewter but have a makers mark are old and usually have lead in them. If you find pewter like this you need to research the piece because some are valuable and should not make the melt pile.

Just make sure to avoid anything that is stamped "peterex" or something similar. Then there is the Wilton Armetale stuff most people also call pewter. But it is an aluminum alloy and worthless. Unfortunately you see these 10:1 over real pewter.
    What I've obtained so far is all Ewer Haugrud out of Norway, produced since the post WW2 40s.

For winning a bid at $7 to $12 per piece I'm doubtful it's anything valuable.

Thanks for all that info but was only asking about the lead content going out of pewter.

Boolit Grand Master

Lead was legally removed from American pewter in the 1960s. From English pewter in 1974. But that was only law. In practice, lead was removed from tableware in the 1800s.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by The Appalacian View Post
    Thanks for all that info but was only asking about the lead content going out of pewter.
    And I told you. AFAIK the shiny spun Brittania metal I mentioned never had any lead in it. It is tin antimony and copper. Its mostly the cast pieces that contained lead but of course their are always exceptions. While having any lead is bad for food use it will make no difference if the pewter is used for casting since it is still mostly tin.
    Last edited by Delkal; 03-21-2024 at 04:56 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Ley metal pewter may contain up to 15% lead and was only used for items that wouldn’t contact food.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Bub
    And I told you. AFAIK the shiny spun Brittania metal I mentioned never had any lead in it. It is tin antimony and copper. Its mostly the cast pieces that contained lead but of course their are always exceptions. While having any lead is bad for food use it will make no difference if the pewter is used for casting since it is still mostly tin.

And I told you, I was asking about a time frame.

Do you have a time frame?

When someone asks what time it is they're not interested in hearing how clocks are made.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Lead was legally removed from American pewter in the 1960s. From English pewter in 1974. But that was only law. In practice, lead was removed from tableware in the 1800s.
    Thank you. That's what I was looking for.

Banned

I have never worried about lead in my lead!

Boolit Buddy

When someone asks what time it is they're not interested in hearing how clocks are made.
    There is no time frame. Leaded and unleaded pewter overlapped for the at least 150 years and you decide by having some knowledge of the the types of pewter. I doubt your peter has a date stamped on them so how would you know if they are post 1960?

Some topics have a longer answer than just saying 3:15.

Boolit Bub
    There is no time frame. Leaded and unleaded pewter overlapped for the at least 150 years and you decide by having some knowledge of the the types of pewter. I doubt your peter has a date stamped on them so how would you know if they are post 1960?

Some topics have a longer answer than just saying 3:15.
    I'm sorry, or something, that my question here has caused you problems. A member above didn't have any trouble at all simply answering my question as it was asked, and without running off into the ditch with it.

As far as knowing when something was made, a lot can be cyphered from when the company that made it existed. So there's that. I'm 99.9% sure my pewter is lead free after this thread.

Again, thanks for your efforts, but I think you and I are done here.......savvy?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    I have never worried about lead in my lead!
    Biggest bang for the buck when you're sourcing the tin, would be the crux of it.

No?

Banned

Biggest bang for the buck when you're sourcing the tin, would be the crux of it.

No?
    Yep, the more tin the better. I won't turn down pewter with lead in it though.

Boolit Bub
    Made a deal with my favorite local pawn shop. She been turning pewter stuff away because it would sit and nobody would buy it. Told her if she could buy cheap and sell reasonable I'd take anything she could get. Said she would stop turning it away then and save it for me. Said crackheads bring stuff in all the time wanting a dollar or two for it. Told me about the one lady who literally dumped somebody's ashes out in the parking lot and sold the pewter urn for a dollar. Takes all kinds I guess.

Boolit Master
    Made a deal with my favorite local pawn shop. She been turning pewter stuff away because it would sit and nobody would buy it. Told her if she could buy cheap and sell reasonable I'd take anything she could get. Said she would stop turning it away then and save it for me. Said crackheads bring stuff in all the time wanting a dollar or two for it. Told me about the one lady who literally dumped somebody's ashes out in the parking lot and sold the pewter urn for a dollar. Takes all kinds I guess.
    And those kinds are the thieves that stole it!

Boolit Master

I think you will find that the member you are coming down on was only answering your question. Post #2

"Thanks for all that info but was only asking about the lead content going out of pewter."

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickf1985 View Post
    I think you will find that the member you are coming down on was only answering your question. Post #2

"Thanks for all that info but was only asking about the lead content going out of pewter."
    Not coming down on anybody, but I don't like being told, "and I told you". Post #2 didn't tell me anything I didn't already have a handle on and I addressed post #2 with post #3, and there THAT should have ended. If I had asked about how to tell the difference between modern and old then post #2 would have been appropriate, but that's exactly NOT what I was asking.

Boolit Master
    I am just saying that sometimes people interpret what you are saying differently and they offer what they feel is good advice. I have done it many times. If the answer is not what you wanted just ignore it and do not reply. That way nobody gets insulted and the thread does not turn into a battleground. Just my thoughts on forum etiquette. My opinion only.

Boolit Master
    Perhaps some do not understand that once the thread is started, it goes where it goes as long as there is some benefit to the forum in general. Participation is encouraged.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickf1985 View Post
    I am just saying that sometimes people interpret what you are saying differently and they offer what they feel is good advice. I have done it many times. If the answer is not what you wanted just ignore it and do not reply. That way nobody gets insulted and the thread does not turn into a battleground. Just my thoughts on forum etiquette. My opinion only.
    I'm not really sure how much clearer I could have asked the question.

Here it is again, just for you......

What was the cut off period when lead was taken out of the mix as standard practice. In other words, when did "modern" pewter become a thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast