Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersSnyders Jerky
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cartridges stored in the gun stock?

Cartridges stored in the gun stock?

I recently bought a gun that has a place in the gun stock for cartridges. I would like to make one for another rifle.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	COLLATH-DRILLING-16GA-9-3X72R-Fine-Pre-War_102579695_51982_9CE91C66699A9EC3.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	324797Click image for larger version. 

Name:	COLLATH-DRILLING-16GA-9-3X72R-Fine-Pre-War_102579695_51982_56044F7546EDA636.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	324798

Boolit Grand Master

Mock it up out of plastic first then move to steel brass or metal. Plastic is cheaper and easier to work with you can make the small adjustments then make the Z"real one" from the desired more expensive material.
    The latch is going to be the tricky part.

Measure up what you have and draw it up then modify to fit the rifle /cartridge you want and mock up from plastic, you could even use wood for the mock up, Here is to just work the bugs out of the new design. Then move on to duplicating the new one from metal.

Boolit Master

If you can find a copy of the Home Gunsmithing Digest by Tommy Bish you will find a step-by-step article on making your own cartridge traps with well-illustrated pictures. Page 174 and 180. james

hope this helps but,

if you can find a copy of the Home Gunsmithing Digest by Tommy L. Bish starting on page 174 there are 5 ages detailing how to install the kits that are available + starting on page 180 there are six pages of plans + instructions for fabricating + installing one of your own manufacture - sorry, but i attempted to copy them on my scanner + copy machine, but the book is too thick to make any legible copies -

sorry for the duplicate post but tnsailorman bet me to it by 2 minutes - getting old old, sometimes i'm fast + sometimes only half fast !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN2070.JPG   DSCN2071.JPG  
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Master
    If it were me, I would try to not have a cavernous hole in the stock. I would drill a hole the diameter of the bullet as deep as the cartridge is long, for each cartridge you want to store. I.E. 6 cartridges equals six holes. Then get a larger bit the size of the base ahead of the rim if there is a rim and drill as deep as the case is long. Drilling with these two different dimensions will keep the rounds from rattling as much and it will maintain more of the structural integrity of the stock.

Boolit Master
    I will state I like this idea very much, especially for lever guns. I use a sling with cartridge slots on my bolt guns, but they do tend to fall out if I'm not careful.

WOW! Thank you all for your help. As some are saying, might not be the best idea. I am no good with making things like this. I was hoping that some dealer might have something that I could install. That part I can handle. The gun in the picture is in transit to me. SHould be here in a few days.

Boolit Master

Should be a simple job for someone with the equipment and time, say a good gunsmith. Mostly time consuming because of the filing and hand fitting.. james

The mention of the Bish gunsmithing book brings back fond memories.
    Do not leave cartridges in the trap- the moisture of the stock will create crud on the cartridges. The bullets on .22 shells will turn white with oxidation fairly soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMax View Post
    WOW! Thank you all for your help. As some are saying, might not be the best idea. I am no good with making things like this. I was hoping that some dealer might have something that I could install. That part I can handle. The gun in the picture is in transit to me. SHould be here in a few days.
    Schiff C gun service in in Murray, UT.used to do them - also i think Connecticut Shotgun manufacturing does them =-
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Master
    I have also seen versions where the cover slides in a dovetail, instead of a hinged trapdoor. You can expose one or multiple cartridges.

I saw a fine english drilling once what had a cartridge trap for 7×57mmR. It was double barrel 16 gauges over 7mmR, and though it was a bit rough, it locked up solid and the quality was evident. Fit and finish were still excellent. Best I recall, it had a hinged door that had a spring loaded closure lever, but the door itself was not spring loaded.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Buddy
    Someone sells them. It might be New England Custom Gun. I’ve seen them.
    Last edited by JDHasty; 03-21-2024 at 11:18 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    NECG is an importer and also had one from an outfit in Germany that was real nice. I just can't remember the name of that German shop.
    Last edited by JDHasty; 03-23-2024 at 10:12 PM.

LAGS did something similar, but superior, for my lamented CZ 527M.

Boolit Man
    I observed one in an old levergun that was 7 holes drilled in the stock. The cover was a piece of leather screwed down at one end, and a snap at the other end. Half of the snap was screwed to the stock and the leather snapped down to cover the case heads. Simple but it worked.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    If it were me, I would try to not have a cavernous hole in the stock. I would drill a hole the diameter of the bullet as deep as the cartridge is long, for each cartridge you want to store. I.E. 6 cartridges equals six holes. Then get a larger bit the size of the base ahead of the rim if there is a rim and drill as deep as the case is long. Drilling with these two different dimensions will keep the rounds from rattling as much and it will maintain more of the structural integrity of the stock.
    I wonder if you make the cavity slightly oversized if you could use some bedding compound / liquid metal and make it more solid than the wood was.

Boolit Master
    I suppose that could be done with a strong 2 part epoxy. I hadn't thought of that, and that thought is a good one.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    Just as a means of communication, I 99% agree with this, EXCEPT I suggest to use the larger diameter drill size (for rim) first!. I've been there/done that the other way, and had poor results re center of hole. Using the larger drill first, the point at the hole's bottom provides a dead centre for the size drill you're using for cartridge size. Again, a suggestion. Good luck. Another "tip" is to -- what I did -- wrap stock with Saran Wrap, and then form an old wash cloth saturated with plaster of Paris or similar about it, making sure the stock is now 100% true vertical. Let it dry/harden overnight, and you have a perfect holder to snug in your drill press vice for the drilling. After you're done, a couple of gentle whacks -- I used a Harbor Freight small dead-blow hammer -- is all it takes to break it up; remove the Saran Wrap -- and, hopefully you'll be lucky!
    geo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast