WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: .45-75 Neck Sizing Die

Boolit Bub

.45-75 Neck Sizing Die

Hi everyone I was just wondering if anyone knew of a .45-75 neck sizing die any company makes? Alternatively, does anyone use a different die like .45 Colt as a neck-sizing die? I don't have one so I've never tried that and maybe it wouldn't work.

45/75 takes a .459 bullet, 45 Colt takes a .452 bullet, so that won't work. Also 45 Colt is a straight wall whereas the 45/75 is a bottle neck, so it won't work. I use 2 sets, RCBS and CH4D, mixed them up a bit as my rifle has the Uberti Chamber. That means the early rifles where cut wrong to where the neck is just a bit shorter. Doesn't hurt nothing, gets a few more grains of BP in there. Anyway, I just back the sizing die back out a half a turn and there ya go, neck only sized.

Boolit Master

I just back the sizing die back out a half a turn and there ya go, neck only sized.[/QUOTE]

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Quote Originally Posted by sfwh View Post
    Alternatively, does anyone use a different die like .45 Colt as a neck-sizing die? I don't have one so I've never tried that and maybe it wouldn't work.
    I've done what you are thinking, with my 40-50 SBN.

Checked a couple dies just now and a 8X57 seat die is just a touch tight, but a 40-60 seat die is really close.
    If you have a bunch of dies for other rifles, just try all of them til you find one that is close. Doesn't have to be a sizing die.
    No guarantee you will find one if you don't have a large selection of dies to choose from.
    I have a lot of oddball Military ones so quite a selection of different diameters.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sfwh View Post
    Hi everyone I was just wondering if anyone knew of a .45-75 neck sizing die any company makes? Alternatively, does anyone use a different die like .45 Colt as a neck-sizing die? I don't have one so I've never tried that and maybe it wouldn't work.
    the combo of my uberti chamber, brass made from 348 win, .460 boolits, leaves me about half a thou clearance up front -- I dont neck size AT ALL.....my finished rounds measure .482-.483 OD neck
    I made an outside swage die cut .4825 and I run all my assembled rounds through that - most are ok -- but a little too much crimp, or some cases form a ring partway down the neck (right where the sharp bend in the old case transitioned from body to shoulder) any case that neck measures over .485 will jam this gun
    The brass is thick!! my 45/70 rounds are 5 to 7thou smaller with the same boolit loaded

I bought LEE FL size die (2 of) - only time I use that is initial case forming --toooo much size reduction for regular use --made another body die - only place these cases need a touch up is just where the body joins solid head - only just a kiss then - took 6 reload cycles before I got any stiff chambering stuff.

have about 400cases for this gun - I'll be ash to ashes and dust to dust before I need more brass

Boolit Bub
    I looked at a couple of dies like 8mm but it seems like just backing the die out is probably the best bet. Thanks guys.