Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Need opinions on Contender (Pre Easy Open)

Boolit Master

Need opinions on Contender (Pre Easy Open)

Just seeing what you all think of the older Contenders, pre easy open.
    Looking at one that comes with a super 14 30-30 barrel. I would rather have a 357 or 44 barrel.
    But what is the concensus of the older ones, this a 1981
    Failure is not an Option

Boolit Buddy
    I like mine. I sent it to T/C and had the "easy open" added.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardC View Post
    I like mine. I sent it to T/C and had the "easy open" added.
    Too bad that is no longer an option.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

I have one frame like that, it does sometimes get a bit stuck and is hard to open but usually works fine. Everything else about it is the same as the later ones, so I'd say with what they are bringing these days if you can get it for a good price it's well worth having. I do wish the easy open conversion was still available though.

Boolit Grand Master
    If it's sound, grab it!

Boolit Master
    Have both, pre & post, in the safe. Just being a 'pre' would not deter me from picking up another. If allowed, remove the grips and look for signs of surface rust.
    https://wbrpc.org/

genealogy, another area of interest

feedback - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9613-czech_too

Boolit Master

All of my TC frames are G1.
    Buy it.

Boolit Master
    G1??? Actually no such thing, as the pre easy open is minumum of 2 ...tho some of us can identify 3 different variations...let alone the ones Factory Modified!!!
    Anyway...IMO the very best Trigger in the Business came on the "triangle trigger" models...and yes they were pre easy open!
    I would Not trade mine for Nuthin..
    I wrote a rather long winded treaties on the Pre easy open Contender. I can dig it up for ya ...maybe a PM away.
    BTW, a picture really helps in this decision making...and any Barrel is Excellent Trading Material.. Nothing to do with the Contender frame itself..A 14" 30-30 Contender Barrel, is one of the More Sought After! Can probably trade for about anything!!!

Boolit Master
    I have both original and easy open. I really do not note enough difference to matter.

If you want a 14", that 30-30 is one of the best choices to have. A big advantage of the 30-30 is the abundance of pressure tested load data. If you get the gun, I would hold on to the 30-30 (you know, just in case) and start looking for a 10".

TC made a lot of the 357 Mag barrels, but finding a good price on a used 357 Mag is not as easy as it used to be. A good number of these have been reamed to 357 Max (I do not recommend this for a 10"). My first gun came with a regular 10" octagon that I loved, but it got lost in a move. I eventually picked up a replacement that was an octagon external choke model (8-7/8" effective length with choke removed). It is one of the barrels I use the most. If you see either of the above or a 10" bull do not pass it up.

The 10" 44 Mag has a reputation of being pretty brutal for recoil with full power loads. Mid range loads are much more reasonable to shoot and with the 10" barrel your velocities should be pretty good.

I also have a 45 colt external choke model. If you want to shoot regular power levels, it can be fun. Like full power 44s, the Ruger / TC only loads in 45 colt are brutal and no fun at all.

Other really good choices for a 10" are most any straight wall handgun cartridge. Rounds such as 9mm, 45 acp and 32 H&R are less common but have the potential for being lots of fun if you stumble across one.

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Don’t let the sun set on a good deal.
    Get it!

Boolit Buddy
    The early receivers work with the one piece locking lug that sometimes give problems with the EZ open frames. I believe the split lugs work OK on the old frames.

A 14 inch 30-30 barrel is a good one to have for 100+ yard shooting (usually rested) but don't worry if that is not your first choice barrel. You will soon have 3-5 (or 10) barrels.

For me, one "must have" barrel is a 10 inch 7mm TCU and I shoot it more than any other barrel. Just run a 223 brass thru the sizing die load it with a moderately high charge and go shoot it to fireform the brass.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    The early receivers work with the one piece locking lug that sometimes give problems with the EZ open frames. I believe the split lugs work OK on the old frames.

A 14 inch 30-30 barrel is a good one to have for 100+ yard shooting (usually rested) but don't worry if that is not your first choice barrel. You will soon have 3-5 (or 10) barrels.

For me, one "must have" barrel is a 10 inch 7mm TCU and I shoot it more than any other barrel. Just run a 223 brass thru the sizing die load it with a moderately high charge and go shoot it to fireform the brass.
    There is alot more to it than that!!!
    The Earliest frames...pre triangle trigger, have a smaller hinge pin diameter...(the barrels do also...so If you find a barrel that has a smaller hinge hole...please let someone who owns a very early Frame Know) and the underlug of the barrel is "thinner". The earliest trigger guard is such that the thicker lug barrel absolutely will Not Open...if they shut... besides they bark the snot out of your Knuckle..
    For trouble free operation...stick to the Last of the triangle trigger models...identified by the sliding rectangular safety/pin selector..Most any Barrel goes right on!!

So...That 1981...Buy It!!

Boolit Master
    I had the pre-easy one as well with 3 barrels. 14" .223, 14" .30Herrett and 10" .357. The Herrett got the most use and was very accurate, even with cast bullets. I never had a problem opening the barrel.

I lost interest in long range pistol shooting and sold the package.

As already mentioned, if in good condition and mechanically sound grab it ! 14" 30-30 will be hard to beat , a 22LR barrel is a fun option too .

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Moderator Emeritus

I have a 14" 30-30 bbl and like it. I can shoot 90 gr 0.313: bullets at 25 yards or 150 gr jacketed at 200 yards. I have 4 frames, one is the old style and I have not had issues with it opening. I did however, milk by hand from ages 5-15 which might have affected my forearm strength.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master

I'd buy it in a heartbeat. You just have to get used to opening them.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!