RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: tent trailer

Boolit Master

tent trailer

A friend wants me to check out a tent trailer that she found online (at a dealer) before she makes the journey down to see it herself. I'm a canvas tenter and know little about tent trailers. I know enough to talk her out of one she found near her house that has sat for 4 years - it hasn't been opened or moved since 2020. Mice, rot, tires, mechanical issues - naw, stay away from that one for $8000.
    The one she's eyeballing is a Forest River, 2023 (never used). Her Jeep can tow 2000lbs, this tent trailer weighs 1600 empty. That should be fine. It has a solar panel on the roof, which might be OK. It has a power lifter for the top, which will be OK as long as it works, and there's electricity at the site (I don't get the sites with water or electricity). I gotta see if it will crank by hand.
    I've heard that any trailers made during the so called epidemic aren't made well.
    The price is now $12,000 - she got them down by $500 on the phone.
    It looks really good, it's the size she wants, it's basically brand new, but...what should I look for?

Boolit Master
    I’ve owned several over the years. Other than seeing if everything works, look for any sign of water leaks on the ceiling, floor, or under the end bunks. If you see any water damage, pass.

Boolit Master
    If new never used the Dealer should be able to run any and all functions to ensure no issues. Also being new I would assume it will come with a warranty and that gives peace of mind.
    I wouldn't be afraid of something mfg. during the past few yrs just need to due your due dilegence as you are and go over it.

Boolit Buddy
    Yep agree , water intrusion first .
    If I was you I'd base a lot of my opinion on what your first impression is on the build quality before you take a deep dive into looking at it .
    If you aren't impressed at a glance it probably won't get better from there .

If it doesn't meet your expectations pass...

Take a quick look at the market , it is absolutely flooded with nearly new campers and rv's. If they want $12,000 and won't take $9000 screw them , move along and find another .

Lastly , rv / camper dealers are notoriously horrible to deal with .
    You have to figure that any warranty or promise will be 100% worthless . Ask to see the disclaimers and releases they will want her to sign before buying before you even bother to look .
    Your gonna be shocked at that ... I can't say this enough , rv / camper warranty is worth less then the paper it's printed on

Boolit Master
    Just an additional thought: buy a good used one. I’ve owned four of them over the years. You can get a “like new” used one for half price and in my case, sold all three for more than I paid for them. I bought the new one for a HUGE discount, used it for two years, and sold it for more than I paid for it. Florida and Arizona have lots of good deals since a lot of old people retire there and never use these things after they buy them. Some move there in them or winter in them and decide to stay there. Looks at ebay, facebook, and any other sites that people can sell on. You’ll get a much better deal. Just watch out for water stains and if none, you’re good to go.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Too many wear points on a tent trailer. I would personally pass. Another consideration, in bear country, they are the equivalent of a soft shell taco.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Too many wear points on a tent trailer. I would personally pass. Another consideration, in bear country, they are the equivalent of a soft shell taco.
    I love soft shell tacos!!!!
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    A friend wants me to check out a tent trailer that she found online (at a dealer) before she makes the journey down to see it herself. I'm a canvas tenter and know little about tent trailers. I know enough to talk her out of one she found near her house that has sat for 4 years - it hasn't been opened or moved since 2020. Mice, rot, tires, mechanical issues - naw, stay away from that one for $8000.
    The one she's eyeballing is a Forest River, 2023 (never used). Her Jeep can tow 2000lbs, this tent trailer weighs 1600 empty. That should be fine. It has a solar panel on the roof, which might be OK. It has a power lifter for the top, which will be OK as long as it works, and there's electricity at the site (I don't get the sites with water or electricity). I gotta see if it will crank by hand.
    I've heard that any trailers made during the so called epidemic aren't made well.
    The price is now $12,000 - she got them down by $500 on the phone.
    It looks really good, it's the size she wants, it's basically brand new, but...what should I look for?
    I once pulled an old heavy homebuilt utility trailer with a jeep Cherokee.
    4' wide x 5' long. Wooden box on truck axle and steel frame.
    It was winter and the trailer was empty. At a safe speed, I turned left at an intersection.
    Trailer spun and took me with it.
    Last time I towed anything by something with "Jeep" stamped on it.
    You're correct. Pandemic trailers are poor quality.
    I'd advise her to keep her money and get a tent.
    Failing that and she's bound and determined, have her look at something smaller.

https://thedyrt.com/magazine/gear/small-campers/

In my experience, they are a royal PITA. Mine lasted one trip. Tell her to look at a small hardside unit, or just go with a regular tent.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master
    I passed all the info to my friend and she is going with a tent. I think the soft shell taco reply was not only hilarious, but eye opening. We camp in northern NH and there are bears - lots of bears. We have a 16' diameter canvas tent with a 9' center height and we love it. Simply put no food, at all, in the rubbish and especially not in the tent and the bears should stay away.
    Thanks for the responses.
    Soft shell taco...

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boolit Grand Master

While you didnt say which model Jeep the shorter and narrower the wheel base gets the harder towing becomes.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by WILCO View Post
    I love soft shell tacos!!!!
    So do bears.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    One campground we stayed at last summer had a "bear proof" cooler on display that a bear had attacked. It was destroyed. One night, around 3AM, 4 or 5 car alarms went off in the campground. Well, it's either bad guys or bears - it was a bear. Made me rethink the caliber of my handgun - I started bringing a .357.
    If people are smart, a bear doesn't have to die. Some of the things I've seen people do around wild animals - trying to get selfies with bears, or Bisons and elks in Yellowstone, makes me wonder if I'm a different species.
    A few years ago, a mountain lion crossed the road in front of me (northern NH). Despite what the Fish & Game people tried to tell me, it was not a bobcat.

Boolit Master
    Another option would be a teardrop trailer. We've had one for the past 10 years and have been very happy with it. Hard-sided, lightweight (1350#), easy to tow.
    Loren

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    I passed all the info to my friend and she is going with a tent. I think the soft shell taco reply was not only hilarious, but eye opening. We camp in northern NH and there are bears - lots of bears. We have a 16' diameter canvas tent with a 9' center height and we love it. Simply put no food, at all, in the rubbish and especially not in the tent and the bears should stay away.
    Thanks for the responses.
    Soft shell taco...
    well, I guess I am a half day late.
    BUT, if I were to think about purchasing a Forest River tent trailer, I would spend an afternoon reading the "TENT CAMPERS AND POP UPS" subforum at this website...

https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f9/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001